Closest softsynth emulation to original synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Who has created the closest softsynth emulation to the original Analog and or FM synthesizer.

Even though it's two or three years old I would have to give the nod to the FM7 emulation of the DX7.

Not sure with analog though.

Any comments appreciated.

From the emulations I've heard, Audio Realism's Bass Line is up there with the best of them, tho admittedly 303's aren't the most sophisticated of synths but A.R's version is near perfect sound wise...

G-Media/Ohm Force - Oddity, impOSCar are incredibly close and M-Tron is absolutely dead on, including imperfections and time limitations per tape banks. MiniMonster is pretty damn close too, and it has a bunch of features original Mini Moog users would have killed for.

N.I. - FM7 is closest to the DX7 though I prefer Rhino and Sytrus for their modern take on FM synthesis. At half the price Rhino 2 is a bargain and it goes so far beyond 6 operator FM.

Waldorf PPG Wave 2.v - when actual owners of the Wave 2.3 and 2.2 are involved in the beta and like the results it's hard to dispute

Arturia - Moog Modular 2 is pretty hard to argue with. Forget Bob Moog's endorsement, use your own ears, MMV 2 is very close to the real thing, more so than MMV 1 was.
Reviews http://www.musicfaq.net
Selected tracks from new album TRAUMA :
http://netnewmusic.ning.com/profile/BSatinover

Are there FM emulations other than FM7? Stuff like Rhino and Sytrus are riffs from the idea, but not meant to be emulations.

I agree with Bruce, GMedia have nailed emulations. Amazing the care to detail that goes into their products.

I think Augur as a Prophet VS clone is one to watch as it gets developed more.

hmmmmmmmmm

I don't have any vstis that emulate synths that I've owned..... :?

so - who's up for developing an Alpha Juno 1 clone and a Jen SX1000 clone ? :)

Does the virus powercore not win, I've not got a virus or the powercore virus but everyone seems to think there quite close.

Minimonster isnt released yet so the verdict is still open :) Closest to Moog yet is still Arturias stuff..

I completely forgot N.I.'s Pro-53 and B4. Sure, you can't do everything with the B4 but in general it is very close, to the point of no one who knows my music can tell if a real B3 was sued vs a B4 soft synth.
Reviews http://www.musicfaq.net
Selected tracks from new album TRAUMA :
http://netnewmusic.ning.com/profile/BSatinover

I strongly agree with the Arturia Moog 2, I have that and although not perfect, it sounds very much like the original. I listened to a Bach tune from an old Moog recording and compared it to the same song demonstration on the Arturia website, they were very similar.

I like to download the demo songs from various synths off of vintagesynth.com and try to replicate the sound with the softsynth counterpart. I was able to reproduce the Oscar sound example perfectly with the impOscar and also CS-80 with the Arturia CS-80.

The anolog emulating softsynths have come a long way in the past two years. I imagine that in another couple to three years, they will be able to emulate these classics to the tee. Even the best ones now lack the balls of the originals. They sound close, but in a vacumn.

All the Arturia stuff! :shock:

x_bruce wrote:I completely forgot N.I.'s Pro-53 and B4. Sure, you can't do everything with the B4 but in general it is very close, to the point of no one who knows my music can tell if a real B3 was sued vs a B4 soft synth.
Thats my feeling. In a recording, you can replicate the sound, but do they sound the same live?

crimsontider wrote:
x_bruce wrote:I completely forgot N.I.'s Pro-53 and B4. Sure, you can't do everything with the B4 but in general it is very close, to the point of no one who knows my music can tell if a real B3 was sued vs a B4 soft synth.
Thats my feeling. In a recording, you can replicate the sound, but do they sound the same live?
imagine emulating a Jon Lord performance on the Hammond with a laptop :-o
Last edited by DwarfNebula on Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erm..

what is this 'live' you speak of? is that where I plug my computer in and sit on stage?

No Korg Legacy Collection ????
What gives ? In my opinion this is one of the best along with GMedia and Arturia stuff :wink:

My vote goes to Squeekbox:

Return to “Instruments”