Vst for house music

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Iblit/PolyIblit does excellent house bass; don't miss this synth.

Asynth as well; great for bass and chords.

Some other good freebies to check out:

Claw
Triangle 2
daHornet
mda JX10
mda Epiano
TickyClav

Also for filter effects I'd pick up a copy of Computer Music and check out "ohmygod" from ohmforce. It's got a single quadfromage filter, which is one of the best sounding filters out there.

Also I would have to agree with the above posters in that if there seems to be something "missing" in your sound, chances are it's your production technique. That being use of compression, eq, beat velocities and swing; stuff like that.

It really depends on the type of house music you make.
You either want:
Realistic intruments- pianos, trumpets, guitars.
Synth sounds- leads, synth basses, pads.

Grab these from the drop down list above:

Developers:
ALL mda stuff
ALL Kjaerhus Classic
ALL Buzzroom
ALL EVM free synths
ALL Voxengo free stuff
ALL SilverSpike free stuff

Instruments:
Synth1
Rogue
EVM Grand Piano
mda ePiano
JX220
JXSynth
Crystal
Superwave P8
Unknown Synth
LoveKiLLER
Cheese Machine
Padawan
String Theory
Crazy Diamonds
Plugsound Free
ORGANized Trio
Drumatic 3
DR-005
ersDrum
Rhythms

Effects:
LFX-1310
Roommaker
BLOCKfish
Chimecho
V90
Ambience
Transverb
SIR
Debaser Free
Elottronix XL
RubyTube
AriesVerb
The RoomMaker

Nice DonationWare:
NADS and Argonyx
Ambience

Some of these may not be in the drop list, you may have to search KVR.
When you grab the synths make sure you grab all the patches from here at KVR and Patch Arena (http://www.patcharena.com). ESPECIALLY for Synth1!

When you grab SIR reverb make sure you go to Noise Vault to get all the nice impulses.

This should start you out nicely.

AudioWhore wrote:just use legacy cell and chain a few synths in that.. it should be killer for making tastey sounds..
How do i do that the manuals dont have anything for legacy cell just the other 3.

If you could tell me how to run synths through it wow then that would be nice :D

check out the legacy cell patches and poke around the windows - you should get an idea pretty quickly.

the upper right corner also has little signal flow diagram for what's going on.
My webcomic that has absolutely nothing to do with music, plugins, technology or football: http://friedcheeseballs.com/start

I don't know much about the Legacy cell. I would imagine you could do 75% of what you want with it.

So on top of that, get a sampler and see what you can find for samples (rhodes, guitars, basses, etc). An option instead of Lounge Lizard is to get a Scarbee Rhodes sample library for the sampler that you're going to buy.

Finally, the one synth that I got that I love for house is Reaktor Sessions. Amongst other things, Reaktor sessions includes Carbon and Junatik, which really are great for house music.

So to sum up: use the legacy cell, get a sampler, and get NI Carbon.

Or: use the legacy cell and get Reaktor Session (which has sampler modules that you might be able to use).

there was someone selling Reaktor Sessions in the the Marketplace for really cheap...

s.

i'm guessing 'junatik' is a Juno emulator?

i've never used Reaktor Session - is it, or the synths in it, usable as vsti?
My webcomic that has absolutely nothing to do with music, plugins, technology or football: http://friedcheeseballs.com/start

arp_laszlo wrote:i'm guessing 'junatik' is a Juno emulator?

i've never used Reaktor Session - is it, or the synths in it, usable as vsti?
You load Reaktor as the vsti, and then inside Reaktor you can load various "ensembles". So you need Reaktor, you can't just buy Junatik for example.

This may be changing though. At NAMM, NI introduced a set of Reaktor ensembles that now can be loaded individually as instruments. Maybe Reaktor5 will introduce this functionality for everyone.

You can download Reaktor demo and check it out. Then go buy Sessions for cheap. You'll love me for it

methink i'll have to check it out. i've avoided Reaktor since i have no interest in learning it, but i would be curious to play a little.

I agree with most of what's already been said. Processing, processing and more processing of a synth sound or a sample is really the key. When in doubt, put a phaser on it! :lol: Having said that, the raw quality of your synths is also critical to getting 'that' sound.

For native VSTi's, I would say you should be able to get nice results from Reaktor (or Sessions if you don't need to build your own), Pro 53, Albino (although it can be a little too polite without post-processing) and V-Station. But if you really want the ultimate VSTi for house (or any other form of electronic music) you have to go with the Virus|Powercore. Yes, you have to buy a DSP card to use it but you will find no native VSTi that sounds as good and doesn't kill your CPU.

As someone mentioned, the other key to getting 'that' sound is how you treat your overall mix. Both in terms of post-processing and the mix itself. This will make a mediocre groove sound pretty good and a great groove will sound amazing. Check out this book if you want really learn some essential stuff: Dance Music Manual. (This links to the US Amazon site but it's also available on Amazon in the UK.)

Ojuzu

Thanks guys don`t know much about vsti`s if someone could give us a quick rundown I would appreciate it.

Thankyou :)

Which host program are you using ?

you've already got 4 vsti in the form of the Legacy Collection - the ms20, the polysix, the wavestation and the legacy cell.

Thats why i am asking mate don`t know what they are could do with some info if possible,,

Using cubase sx 2.0
re wired to reason 2.5
legacy collection
mini moog
v station
bass station
and a few other vst`s

wwwill wrote:It really depends on the type of house music you make.
You either want:
Realistic intruments- pianos, trumpets, guitars.
Synth sounds- leads, synth basses, pads.

Grab these from the drop down list above:

Developers:
ALL mda stuff
ALL Kjaerhus Classic
ALL Buzzroom
ALL EVM free synths
ALL Voxengo free stuff
ALL SilverSpike free stuff

Instruments:
Synth1
Rogue
EVM Grand Piano
mda ePiano
JX220
JXSynth
Crystal
Superwave P8
Unknown Synth
LoveKiLLER
Cheese Machine
Padawan
String Theory
Crazy Diamonds
Plugsound Free
ORGANized Trio
Drumatic 3
DR-005
ersDrum
Rhythms

Effects:
LFX-1310
Roommaker
BLOCKfish
Chimecho
V90
Ambience
Transverb
SIR
Debaser Free
Elottronix XL
RubyTube
AriesVerb
The RoomMaker

Nice DonationWare:
NADS and Argonyx
Ambience

Some of these may not be in the drop list, you may have to search KVR.
When you grab the synths make sure you grab all the patches from here at KVR and Patch Arena (http://www.patcharena.com). ESPECIALLY for Synth1!

When you grab SIR reverb make sure you go to Noise Vault to get all the nice impulses.

This should start you out nicely.
This is a concise, free and great list. You could do just about anything with these. And remember, FREE!

I might add Majken's Subduer and Tweakbench's Padwan
..what goes around comes around..

Return to “Instruments”