Anyone heard new GARRITAN libraries ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Has anyone heard ( or seen ) the new GARRITAN JAZZ Band library at NAMM ?

Will the new 'lite' version of GPO be just a reduced version of the regular ( old ) GPO ?

-- atonal

The lite version will be a slimmed down version of the regular GPO and will not include some of the samples. It will be upgradeable though and you could kind of think of it as GPO on the installment plan...

GPO Lite to GPO 2 to GPO Advanced.

No Jazz/Band demos yet, I'll post some links when they're ready.

Thanks,
RE: GPO 'Lite', ...care to share
'What's out'
'What's in'
'What's left ?'

-- atonal

im also curious to know more info...like when the GPO2 update is coming out, how much the upgrade from 2 to advanced will be, and what exactly will be in advanced.

GPO is great, i've very much enjoyed using it. im excited to know what all the improvements will be.

-ugo

ugo, exact details are forthcoming. Gary will probably spend all day catching up, but I assume there'll be more details within the week as far as specifics go.

Right now, I would say that what is being called GPO 2 is actually the updated version that all current GPO owners should have since the update back in mid 2004. If you have not updated go to www.garritan.com for details. There were some programming changes as well as new instruments (not samples, but new instruments due to new programming) like aggressive strings and brass, new keyswitch instruments, etc. There will be some additional changes to the GPO 2 retail package that current owners may or may not be able to take advantage of, but I'm not the person to answer that question.

As far as GPO Lite is concerned, all I know is that it probably won't contain the piano or organ and may not have the ensemble instruments. It will still be pretty comprehensive, but keep in mind that this is just my take and will have to be confirmed once concrete details surface.

GPO Advanced will contain additional samples (not programmed samples) and will add harmonics, new playing technique, more instruments, some rare instruments to the existing library. There will be an upgrade path and I'm sure it will be the difference between the MSRP for Advanced and the current price of GPO. In my mind, the retail package of Advanced will contail all of GPO 2 as well as the new samples, etc. But, again, this is just my take and could be entirely in the wrong direction. I'll update you guys as soon as I know more (hopefully tonight.)

Details on the Big/Band library posted by Haydn at NSS:

Does it include Flugelhorn? It sure does! It will include 3 separate solo trumpets with a range up to double high C. One of the trumpets goes to triple high C and was played by none other than Hot Lips Hopkins! (Tom's going to love me for this). There will be a wide variety of mutes such as straight, cup, harmon and plunger mutes. The plunger mute will open and close. There will be plenty of trombones to build your sections up with solo instruments.

There will be 15 saxes in the library including multiple alto and tenor saxes.

It will include the rhythm section with piano, guitar, basses and drums. These are a jazz flavored drums. The brushes allow both left and right hand brush stirs that can be played like the real thing.

The Jazz & Big Band library demos went over quite well at NAMM. Received nothing but compliments on the demos. The brush stirs really wowed the people. Sinbad was in our booth yesterday and heard the jazz quartet demo with Tenor Sax, Piano, Bass and Drums including the brushes. He commented on how he felt that he was sitting in a jazz club minus the smoke!

What about the euphonium and bugle?

I know these are used quite often in british big brass bands, and they produce breathtaking immersion when used together. Using flugelhorns or bugles and euphoniums together produce a phantom harmonic note that really makes the sound seem almost fluid. I've been to one of those bands and the visceral experience was unbelievable. Changed my life and that's what got me started in music. Never looked back since that day.

I will never forget one of the tunes they played. It went for about 4 minutes, and was played with 3 trombones, 2 saxophones, 6 trumpets, bugle, euphonium, tuba, sousaphone, and 2 flugelhorns. All up 17 brass instruments, there were about 24 people in that band, I couldn't believe they could get everything in sync so well, and to top it off they had two jazz bass guitars playing in unison for the bass lines. Absolutely incredible are the only two words I can think of for that performance. This was a BIG brass band.

Return to “Instruments”