minimonsta video up at sonic state

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote:So what happened at the end then, Mr Spiers? Camera shy all of a sudden? We needs to know. ;)
Too many shandys the night before I think ;)

..... That coupled with the sheer wickedness of the MiniMonsta caused Dave to loose it for just a second :D

I was listening out for a new DS quote that might be used for the MiniMonsta T-Shirt :) Any ideas? Nothing quite as stand out as "Screams like a bastard" but a few worthy quotes in there.
Last edited by Dogboy73 on Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

"You can really get some Bombastic tones with this"

"It can sound thin ..... or fat ..... or monstrous"

An early demoversion would be so nice. :wink:
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:An early demoversion would be so nice. :wink:
And it can be yours on the 21st of Feb :wink:

Dogboy73 wrote:I was listening out for a new DS quote that might be used for the MiniMonsta T-Shirt :) Any ideas? Nothing quite as stand out as "Screams like a bastard" but a few worthy quotes in there.
I couldn't find any. I did my best not to listen for them actually. Certainly nothing as cheeky as last year's quote of the moment. :)

I wasn't really sold on the whole Moog sound before but the sounds this thing makes are gorgeous. Even if it doesn't sound exactly like a Mini, which i wouldn't know about since i've never been a huge fan of that sound, it's still very very yummy indeed. Rick Wakeman's intro is also amusing. :)

whyterabbyt wrote:So what happened at the end then, Mr Spiers? Camera shy all of a sudden? We needs to know. ;)
:lol:

The previous night we were picking up the Electronic Musician award for the impOSCar as best emulation of 2004 (quite a posh affair) and all of a sudden I had to leg-it while projectile vomiting (impressive distance) all over the place. It appears there was some 24 hour lurgy going around and poor Chris got it a couple of days later.

Also just before the Sonicstate video I'd literally just walked off-stage from a full-on 1/2 hour set with Mr Wakeman (we'll have the video of this on the website soon) which was a lot of fun........ straight into "try and be half-sensible" mode. The MM is a complex beast and I prefer doing stuff off-the-cuff (can't stand carefully rehearsed overly slick demos) however I got so far and my brain just stopped working.

There was no alcohol involved at all - unfortunately :(

Dave

Dave Spiers wrote:

The previous night we were picking up the Electronic Musician award for the impOSCar as best emulation of 2004 (quite a posh affair) and all of a sudden I had to leg-it while projectile vomiting (impressive distance) all over the place. It appears there was some 24 hour lurgy going around and poor Chris got it a couple of days later.

Also just before the Sonicstate video I'd literally just walked off-stage from a full-on 1/2 hour set with Mr Wakeman (we'll have the video of this on the website soon) which was a lot of fun........ straight into "try and be half-sensible" mode. The MM is a complex beast and I prefer doing stuff off-the-cuff (can't stand carefully rehearsed overly slick demos) however I got so far and my brain just stopped working.

There was no alcohol involved at all - unfortunately :(

Dave
But what Dave hasn't mentioned is that it was the sight of a man walking past the booth wearing flippers and holding a stick of wet celery that finally pushed him over the edge :wink:

Dave Spiers wrote:The previous night we were picking up the Electronic Musician award for the impOSCar as best emulation of 2004 (quite a posh affair) and all of a sudden I had to leg-it while projectile vomiting (impressive distance) all over the place.
Okay T-Shirt idea - MiniMonsta on the front, With a pic of you projectile vomiting on the back (Assuming someone got a snap of this impressive sight :hihi:) with the slogan "MiniMonsta - It's sick!". Actually that’s a pretty sick idea isn't it? Scrub that :roll:
Just before the Sonicstate video I'd literally just walked off-stage from a full-on 1/2 hour set with Mr Wakeman (we'll have the video of this on the website soon)
Cool. Be interesting to see that video. Mr.Wakeman seemed very impressed by the MiniMonsta. Always encouraging hearing from a synth/Moog playing legend singing such praise of a software synth. You would imagine someone like Rick Wakeman not being overly keen on such technology given his past.

It's interesting how more & more pro musicians seem to be warming to the idea of software synths & emulation’s. These days it tends to be the amateur muso's, Who have spent all their hard earned cash on ridiculously overpriced original analogue synths, Who don't have much good stuff to say about the software synths & emulation’s.

JonHodgson wrote: But what Dave hasn't mentioned is that it was the sight of a man walking past the booth wearing flippers and holding a stick of wet celery that finally pushed him over the edge :wink:
:uhuhuh: You said you'd never tell :lol:
Dogboy73 wrote: Okay T-Shirt idea - MiniMonsta on the front, With a pic of you projectile vomiting on the back (Assuming someone got a snap of this impressive sight :hihi:) with the slogan "MiniMonsta - It's sick!". Actually that’s a pretty sick idea isn't it? Scrub that :roll:
It's not a bad idea but unfortunately no one got a pic - pity really, it was quite spectacular
Dogboy73 wrote: Cool. Be interesting to see that video. Mr.Wakeman seemed very impressed by the MiniMonsta. Always encouraging hearing from a synth/Moog playing legend singing such praise of a software synth. You would imagine someone like Rick Wakeman not being overly keen on such technology given his past.

It's interesting how more & more pro musicians seem to be warming to the idea of software synths & emulation’s. These days it tends to be the amateur muso's, Who have spent all their hard earned cash on ridiculously overpriced original analogue synths, Who don't have much good stuff to say about the software synths & emulation’s.
Rick's been there, done that and burned the T-Shirt....and the Trons :-o so it's interesting to hear from someone who doesn't look at the real hardware through rose-tinted glasses. Everyone agrees that the sounds of the original instruments were great but reliability really wasn't their strong point.

One of my favourite Mini stories that he tells is that early RA Moog's were terrible for radio interference. Years ago they were just about to start a Yes gig at Crystal Palace but as soon as the FOH engineer pushed the faders up all you could hear was "Liverpool 1 - Arsenal 2, Nottingham Forrest 3 - Port Vale 2" etc

This was the saturday football pool scores coming from the BBC transmitter nearby and the only way to stop it and continue with the gig was for his tech to quickly line the inside of the mini with Baco foil :lol:

The other story I love is that he burned four of his Trons at the end of a tour because he was so pissed off with their unreliability - he recounts this story in the M-Tron video which we'll get up just as soon as we've got the bandwidth sorted.

Dave

Dave Spiers wrote:M-Tron video
Oooo.

minimonsta good... M-Tron good. *anticipate*

Dave Spiers wrote:
Dogboy73 wrote:
Rick's been there, done that and burned the T-Shirt....and the Trons :-o so it's interesting to hear from someone who doesn't look at the real hardware through rose-tinted glasses. Everyone agrees that the sounds of the original instruments were great but reliability really wasn't their strong point.
And reliability is obviously going to become an increasing problem the older the machines get. Sure they sound great but if they stop working they're not much use to anyone & getting them fixed may proof just as hard as finding the actual synth in the first place!

Sound quality asside, Software wins out hands down for me. Take the ImpOSCar - Fantastic sounding synth. Never used an original OSCar but there are plenty of people that say it sounds close to the original. In any case it sounds great so who cares? On top of that there's the added functionality, The ability to save patches (Then send them to you so you can put them on the GMEDIA website :wink:), The option to create as many instances as you need in your host app + the very reassuring knowledge that it's never going to break down! (Computer problems asside off course :))

I'm sure most people see it this way these days ......... Apart from those Amatuer, Analogue synth nutters who've spent all their hard on cash on the real mcoy. There was one such said nutter on the CM forum who had this to say in response to someone's post regarding the MiniMonsta;
I wonder how long it'll take until everyone realise all VA's are the exact same synth, with just a slightly tweaked EQ and a bad saturation patch on the output??? They should stop pasting pictures of 1970's monosynths on the front of their products and try to sell them as synths in their own right. I can only assume the mentality is something similar to that of a model train enthusiast, who wants to spend his sunday afternoons playing Microsofts' "I own a well equiped 1970's studio" Simulator.

*snerk*

If Microsoft Train Simulator would let me deliver real freight to real destinations, why wouldn't I use it in preference to a real diesel or steam monster? No fuel or maintenance, no crew to pay, doesn't smell so bad to be downwind. You bet.

(I'd want to keep the genuine train for my collection. Heh. *blush*)

Yes, that quote sounded like a sour-graper to me. :-)

Meffy
railfan

I wonder how long it'll take until everyone realise all VA's are the exact same synth, with just a slightly tweaked EQ and a bad saturation patch on the output??? They should stop pasting pictures of 1970's monosynths on the front of their products and try to sell them as synths in their own right. I can only assume the mentality is something similar to that of a model train enthusiast, who wants to spend his sunday afternoons playing Microsofts' "I own a well equiped 1970's studio" Simulator.
Hmmm, but I know I wrote the impOSCar code myself, and did all the research and analysis from scratch... :? so if all VAs are the same then that must mean... Everyone else has been nicking my code!! :-o

I've been robbed!! :cry:

Dave! Get the lawyers out, I want to sue... we'll start with those Damn Frenchies at Ohmforce, always did think they looked a bit shifty, actually I suspect they're not even French, they can't spell Champagne after all... probably Belgian, that would explain a lot :wink:

*spray paints on wall*

Ohmforce = French resistance

Return to “Instruments”