Re-amping a Bass Instrument From Reason or a VSTi????

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Has anybody ever sent a bass instrument, or combination of instruments out of Reason to a bass guitar amp, then miked it up?

I'm trying to figure out if a sample would be best, or maybe a very simple subtractor patch?

It's for a rock song with synth pop flavorings, so I'm looking for a sound that isn't necessarily just like a bass guitar, but isn't overly "electronic" sounding either.

Also I could import my midi track into Tracktion, and run it through a VSTi if anybody has a suggestion for a freeware instrument they know would sound good.

It seems like somthing that would sound good in a mix directly, wouldn't sound as good through a bass amp. Whatever is going into the amp should be more like a line level out of a bass guitar or a bass synth.

Any Reason patches, freeware VST suggestions or advice otherwise would be appreciated.

Bigsby wrote:Has anybody ever sent a bass instrument, or combination of instruments out of Reason to a bass guitar amp, then miked it up?

I'm trying to figure out if a sample would be best, or maybe a very simple subtractor patch?

It's for a rock song with synth pop flavorings, so I'm looking for a sound that isn't necessarily just like a bass guitar, but isn't overly "electronic" sounding either.

Also I could import my midi track into Tracktion, and run it through a VSTi if anybody has a suggestion for a freeware instrument they know would sound good.

It seems like somthing that would sound good in a mix directly, wouldn't sound as good through a bass amp. Whatever is going into the amp should be more like a line level out of a bass guitar or a bass synth.

Any Reason patches, freeware VST suggestions or advice otherwise would be appreciated.
Try running some bass stuff through an amp simulator http://www.ndzeit.org/guitar/tubebaby.html this ones a freebie or try this thread http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=952304

A couple of suggestions if your gonna send it out thru a mates Trace Elliot or whatever :) Make sure you have sympathetic neighbours, and also try mic'ing the cab from different angles even mic'ing it up with two mics one on the cab itself and another to catch the room ambience, this will help the bass sit in with the track a lot easier, try also mixing a sampled bass with some single oscillator bass patch, it'll cut much better than some big chorused up monster.

Bigsby,
If you don't own an impedance matching box like Reamp or Radial X-Amp for going out of your mixer or your computer into an amp, then Dave's suggestion of using an amp simulator would definitely be the way to go. Otherwise, don't try it!

Most amps have some sort of line input or you could use the fx-return. This bypasses the pre-amp but you can still record the speakercab/room. Your pc/ soundcard (vst) can take care of pre-amp duties.
Jaap

Just to clarify, we do indeed have a millenia td-1 preamp with a re-amp feature. We've got plenty of mics and mic placement experience to capture what's coming out of the bass amp.

My question is more along the lines of: what sort of Reason or (freeware) VSTi instrument or combination of instruments, and also what kinds of settings on those instruments, would yield the best sound coming out of the amp. It's a nice SWR bass combo with 2x10's.

I'm going to be experimenting with getting sounds today, and was just wondering if anyone had already done something like this and could suggest a starting point, or things to avoid.

Bigsby wrote:Just to clarify, we do indeed have a millenia td-1 preamp with a re-amp feature. We've got plenty of mics and mic placement experience to capture what's coming out of the bass amp.

My question is more along the lines of: what sort of Reason or (freeware) VSTi instrument or combination of instruments, and also what kinds of settings on those instruments, would yield the best sound coming out of the amp. It's a nice SWR bass combo with 2x10's.

I'm going to be experimenting with getting sounds today, and was just wondering if anyone had already done something like this and could suggest a starting point, or things to avoid.
Only you can answer this question for yourself through the experiments you are undertaking. But it will be interesting to see what you might make of any suggestions you receive. My own recommendation is to try any and everything, and as you learn how different sounds react to different treatments, you will gain the ability to predict and anticipate the effect you want.

I assume that you are using Reason ReWired to a host, and can in turn send the Reason instrument you want to it's own host mixer channel, and from there to an appropriate seperate output of your soundcard for the reamping. Because Reason has no audio input, reamping it is impossible in standalone mode; you will need the input of a host to record the amp sound.

Oh yeah, nice amp, and good luck.

You're going to need to expiriment to get the sound right. I'd recomend trying a few seperate bass sounds that already work in the song as synth tracks then send them out to the bass and see which works best. I'd also consider using something like a Sansamp Bass Driver as well if possible. Then I'd take the three tracks and see if I can find a nice blend in the mix just as you would an electric bass. I think a VA bass sound would probably be the best though, as you could easily just listen to the bass amp and hear if it's right or not, and if not it may be as simple as tweaking the cutoff or res or something.
I'm sorry this post wasn't about techno.

Return to “Instruments”