Dear Steinberg.........

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dongles sucking donkey azz is the main reason why i will stay from Steinberg. This is a bad route to handle the security issue with software.
Please dont bite me.

Yea, it's bad for the user, but not bad for them, because so far, it works. So don't plan on them stopping the dongle protection anytime soon.
You are currently reading my signature.

Yea, it's bad for the user, but not bad for them, because so far, it works.
Maybe, but does it really means they sell more ?

djanthonyw wrote:Yea, it's bad for the user, but not bad for them, because so far, it works. So don't plan on them stopping the dongle protection anytime soon.
Totally doesn't work dude. EVERY Dongle protected piece of software has been cracked and distributed like wildfire....as well as things that use PACE....and every other copy protection scheme. It's ashame, yes...but i think that copy protection should be used to monitor your customer base and identify the legitimate from the non. This, couple with outstanding user support (ok, steinberg hasn't always been great at that..but..) for registered users and you've got the only formula out there that's bound to make somebody use a legit version over a cracked one.

It's all a shame....but it's never gonna stop.

Dongles are a bit of a pain...but there's not much you can do. it's really up to the developer.

peace! 8)
Pro-Sounds : Sound....Different

-=ToTc Owns You=-

Everything I have learned in the marketing courses I'm currently studying, tells me that forcing a dongle on legitimate users to protect the company from illegitimate users is just plain wrong.

PowerrBooks have only 2 USB ports.
You can imagine one of them stucked forever with stenberg or any other useless dongle and the other connecting the midi keyboard. And it's done!
You won't be able to connect anything else ever!
Great!
So I will buy the software, OK, and I will use the cracked version, anyway I paid for the software, so they could do whatever they want with this shit! :x
:wink: Do like me. Then maybe, they will start to think, man they buy the software but are using the crack :o
:hihi:

tumburu wrote:So I will buy the software, OK, and I will use the cracked version, anyway I paid for the software, so they could do whatever they want with this shit! :x
:wink: Do like me. Then maybe, they will start to think, man they buy the software but are using the crack :o
:hihi:
^ Words of wisdom ^

Amen
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

I don't think we should discuss whethere the dongle prevents people from pirating: I couldn't care less.

I don't care for their attitute: I pump money in their pocket, but I have rarely had that "valued customer" feeling, I rather feel they're saying: "give me da money", with a distant look on their ugly faces.

The damned thing shouldn't be there, period.

I am going to mail Steinberg, letting them know that I have just made up my mind not to get Groove Agent, and I'll gladly give Kontakt or Gigastudio a spin, it may be that I can stay clean of a Halion dongle.

Breakpete wrote:Everything I have learned in the marketing courses I'm currently studying, tells me that forcing a dongle on legitimate users to protect the company from illegitimate users is just plain wrong.
Yeah it's like making someone check their bag when they go into a store. It pisses me off, and I am sure never to come back.

Nice thread :hihi:

It seems to me that laptop users are less likely to want dongles...

1) When I was based on a desktop and the dongle was plugged in once around the back it don't exactly bother me.

2) Now I'm on a laptop I don't have enough ports for dongles, and the more I go down the route of using hubs/etc, the less mobile I become.

3) Dongles sticking out of laptops/hubs are vulnerable to breakage/loss/theft. I am a teacher and know of schools who have had some real difficulties getting replacements/sympathy/understanding/common sense out or Arbiter/Steinberg on this matter. In fact, I know legitimate users who have been virtually accused of dishonesty, which is an outrageous approach to customer support.

4) Even if a replacement is provided (and there's no guarantee of that, whatever they claim up front :wink: ) it can take several days to arrive at best. In the meantime you're stuffed.

5) This was one reason I abandoned Cubase and moved over to Tracktion when I bought my laptop 2 years ago. There were other reasons too :wink:

6) Laptops are here to stay. I suspect that - by deduction - dongles won't remain acceptable practice in this changing market.

7) I have passed on my thoughts about this to schools and students, and expect that there is a generation of musicians who will not naturally be looking at using Cubase.

8 ) I do know a local musician who claims to have a cracked version of Cubase SX3, so I would question the notion that dongles "work".

[quote="TotcProductionsTotally doesn't work dude. EVERY Dongle protected piece of software has been cracked and distributed like wildfire....as well as things that use PACE....and every other copy protection scheme. [/quote]

just had to correct the factual innacuracy here

all the following software is not cracked -

the latest cubase, nuendo, hypersonic, halion, logic and all the yellow tools stuff - all the cubase cracks either are fake or crash all over the place

the link is thay all use dongles - some of them have been out for over a year and the crackers can't do it

dongles appear to be working now

and the support for cubase is gettiong better all the time - something to do with forums not flooded with crack users I suspect

you can get internal usb hubs for desktops - I would have thought buying a £30 hub to protect a £600 dongle would make sense but i totally agree that something may have to be done for laptop users -

gawd knows what tho

PS are laptops really portable - last time i looked if you ran a laptop and a pro-ish audio interface off the battery you would get an hour and a half or so - all a bit chocolate tea pot if you ask me
Last edited by ericj23 on Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Don't get me wrong here...I too hate dongles, but if you see that your software (SQ4²) has been cracked the same day that it was released, tell me, what's the alternative?

Thoose bastards link to my demo version and then release a patch. (and Hosting does cost me money as well :x )

ericj23 wrote:...

all the following software is not cracked -

the latest cubase, nuendo, hypersonic, halion, logic and all the yellow tools stuff - all the cubase cracks either are fake or crash all over the place

for real???
erm..

for real

ericj23 wrote: PS are laptops really portable - last time i looked if you ran a laptop and a pro-ish audio interface off the battery you would get an hour and a half or so - all a bit chocolate tea pot if you ask me
Yes laptops are portable :roll:

Running on batteries alone you need a USB interface (laptops come with 4-pin firewire ports which don't offer bus power to a firewire device). You are about right that a P4 gives about 90 minutes battery time with this setup.

I recommend going for a Centrino chip... this will run cooler, reducing fan noise considerably, and has a battery life of 3 hours +

Depending on where you are setting up of courfse, you can use a power pack anyway...

Because we deliver our Music Tech courses in a number of locations we use laptops for portability, but we use power packs when we set up in a school location, not batteries.

Dongles in this context are a definite nonono!

Software we use at present: Tracktion, Reason, Audition, Live, Sibelius.

Return to “Instruments”