What software to get as a workstation?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey KVR friends,

I'm finally deciding to go all software and start all over in creating a new studio. Right now I have a max budget of only 400 Canadian $ (including taxes, so that's actually 350) since I'm just a student and want to buy my software legally. What I'm looking for is a core collection of sounds, sort of like a complete workstation that would cover all the bases. I also want to play these instruments live in the near future (like a real keyboard workstation) easily. So here's what I'm looking at right now:

Reason 3 - (C$ 350)/ Sampletank L 2 - (C$ 323)/ Manystation - (C$ 80) + other VSTs.

I have tracktion 1.6 has my host now.

Any suggestions or ideas? I'd really liked Steinberg Hypersonic since it seemed to suit me perfectly but it had dongles and was C$ 400 :( Also reason 3's live features look very promising.

Thank you!

Consider Ravity + Wusikstation or Manystation as one possibility. If budget allows, right now Manystation is offering a reduced price for Wusikstation owners.

I like the Kompakt sample set, although I'm not wild about the gui/implementation quirks. However, that'd probably take most of your budget - you might be able to squeeze in one of the three above along with it.

Budget allowing, get sfz+ to cover "all the free soundfonts and samples you can download". Or use sfz for free.

Doug
Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad - Spock, in "I, Mudd"

For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm

if you want hypersonic you can afford it
just do a search on ebay...
i got my unopened copy for 100$
that was usa dollars...but still a lot cheaper than anywhere else
cheeRs

I would say Sonik Synth 2, hands down. If you don't need the ability to import samples like Sampletank 2 does, Sonik Synth 2 seems to be a better choice. It has loads of everything, and seems to be the ultimate all-in-one solution out there.

Pete

WusikStation with Extreme Sample Convertor for $50 allows import of almost any sample format under the sun.

This makes Wusik very flexible and capable of growth.

Same applies to Sonic as EXSC also converts to sth format.

But Sonic is more of a player with FX than a full blooded synth.

Sonic is good if violin/viola/cello sections are important.

Sonic has good guitars too - but so has ManyStation.

I have Hypersonic, but am not keen on it. It sounds very ordinary, even though the spec looks good on paper.
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Hey guys, thanks for replying... I'm not really into analog sounds; Isn't sonic synth/wusik geared towards that side?

Wusikstation specialzes in wave/vector sequencing, similar to the Korg Wavestation. Its a sample player (which means you can load any samples that you own into it. Therefore, its much more versatile.

Sonik Synth 2 has a large collection of real instrument sounds, as well as a large selection of synth-style sounds.

So no, neither one is really locked into analog style sounds, but both can cover that angle well. Besides that, they're hugely different.

I'll cast a second vote for Ravity, as well as Wusikstation. Ravity isn't expandable.

Another option would be to get a sampler. then you can donload gigabytes of free sounds from around the web. You'll also want a sample conversion app (either CDxtract or Chckensys Translator, I own CDXtract, and can vouch for it, others can vouch for Translator). Some samplers come with their own translators though, like MachFive.

But really, your best bet is to browse the KVR database, and see what appeals to you, feature-wise. Then download some demos, and see what holds its appeal. Of course, you'll foster gear lust that way :hihi: but its really the only way for you to be sure you'll be happy parting with your dough.

And last, since you're a student, you qualify for student discounts. Go to mtlc.net , and see what's available at a discount.

I just looked mtlc.net has:

Sampletank 2XL for $309
Kontakt 1.5 for $229
Reaktor Session for $142
Kompakt for $119 (super deal)
Halion 3 for $229

I have both SampleTank 2XL and Sonic Synth 2 and both are excellent programs. If you want to expand your sampleset later, SampleTank would be the better choice. Both have the exact same processing engine, but the earlier response was correct that Sonic Synth is the hands-down monster when it comes to sheer volume of material. Something like 5,000 sounds right out of the box with over 8 gigs of samples. You could tweak these for years and still not be done.
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

manystation and the accompannying sounds,quality and quantity at an affordable price.
plus reaktor sessions
nothing more nothing less seeing as you have host covered with tracktion

reaktor will cover all your synth and fx needs manystation all your realworld guitars n stuff ;)
Last edited by vurt on Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Project5 and ProteusX

The Manystation/Wusikstation combo is hard to beat (and great value). If you really don't want synthetic sounds then just go for Manystation. Vurt's suggestion of Reaktor Sessions is spot on if you want a collosal range of possibilities (Reaktor has a lot of sample mangling tools suitable for live playing as well as a huge range of synths and effects).

Don't forget some of the low cost effects and VSTi's which you can add to your sonic arsenal for very little money. I just (yesterday) picked up the DK+ drum synth which has some features suitable for live use (the ability to change patterns based on incoming MIDI note etc.)

Your biggest problem is that there's just too much good stuff around these days :-)

Regards,

Derek.
Less than 1000 posts and writer's block has set in :-(

I have listed to demo songs of Manystation...I am just not impressed. Everyone seems to be loving this thing, but the acoustic samples don't sound realistic to me in the songs I have listened to. And even on those songs people are saying how great it sounds. It just sounds like any other workstation to me...nothing more nothing less. Am I missing something? I wish there was a demo version.

Pete

BERFAB
Something like 5,000 sounds right out of the box with over 8 gigs of samples. You could tweak these for years and still not be done.
You think so?

I thought they'd been tweaked for years already :hihi:
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Havent listened to many of the manystation songs, but do own it and Im impressed with the acoustic samples, which is what I was after when I bought it. How impressed you are will depend on what your used to, but I am very satisfied with it. I very much doubt you would think they arent useable, and given the price you can get it in addition to other options.

Reason 3.0 gets my vote. The combinator already has a powerful arsenal of patches out for it and sounds awesome. Light on the CPU as well so you can easily run it along side Tracktion.
-="I beat the Internet...the end guy is hard"=-

Return to “Instruments”