Drums and Samplers

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can't a sampler do the same thing as a drum program? Wouldn't I get the same deal and more by getting something like MachFive and a drum library then buying a simple drum kit like RM IV?

Just Float wrote:Can't a sampler do the same thing as a drum program? Wouldn't I get the same deal and more by getting something like MachFive and a drum library then buying a simple drum kit like RM IV?
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73423

Those are neat but it doesn't really answer anything.

Just Float wrote:Can't a sampler do the same thing as a drum program? Wouldn't I get the same deal and more by getting something like MachFive and a drum library then buying a simple drum kit like RM IV?
Yes it can, I never tried MachFive but any sophisticated sampler will do even more than a dedicated drum sampler like the RMIV. On the other hand, with the RMIV it's easier to set up your kits and there's a very nice collection of kits included.

Personally I use both type of programs for my drums and percussions.

In what way is it easier? Can't you map out different samples to keys with a sampler? I don't really see that much of an advantage to having virtual pads when I could simply do the same with keys.

try the demos of different methods.
Do what suit you best.
I for one use both Samplers and RMIV.
RMIV makes drums easy compared to most standard samplers. You have so much to choose from content wise and the instrument is set up to do Drums and do drums well! Some Samplers are Fiddly to set up drums multisamples and zones etc. For me RMIV just works a treat!

But what matters most is my first point...

Do what suits and feels best - most intuitive to you.

Paul
Last edited by manytone on Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

I just use an instance of 3S with layered samples for each sound. Each part is on its own track for easy editing and processing.

androidlove wrote:I just use an instance of 3S with layered samples for each sound. Each part is on its own track for easy editing and processing.
hehe that is funny... we posted at the same time above.. and you mentioned our software...
Thanks man ... cool to see our free software is still being used.
It is a bit older now and may not work in all hosts.
But yes ..even to me it still has its uses.
Now though we have bigger things on the go!
Thanks androidlove

Seriously take a good look at RMIV though for drums guys. It is a treat!
Paul

Just Float wrote:In what way is it easier? Can't you map out different samples to keys with a sampler? I don't really see that much of an advantage to having virtual pads when I could simply do the same with keys.
The advantages are that when you click on a pad, you access all the editing parameters for that pad on the same page, on a regular sampler they may be on different pages. Another thing is that the range and the type of parameters are geared towards drum sounds. On a regular sampler, you will have all the same parameters and more. You will have more flexibility but may lose some time finding the right parameters.

Basically if you're wondering which one to buy and want to buy only one, the regular sampler will give you more power, flexibility and the ability to play other types of sounds. On the other hand, if you're mainly looking for drums, a drum sampler will be simpler to operate, already have a lot of drum sounds and less expensive. For example the NUSofting DK+ (PC) is a nice little drum sampler and I know there's a group buy for it going on. And the RMIV is a great piece of software with great kits.

If you're really involved with your music, there's a good chance that you will end up with both after a while as they both have strong points and they are not mutually exclusive.

androidlove wrote:I just use an instance of 3S with layered samples for each sound. Each part is on its own track for easy editing and processing.
Hey I like this idea, I'm redownloading 3S right now!! Why load full kits when only one sound is needed.

That's my way of thinking too. Why buy Battery when you can get a full blown sampler like Vsampler for the same money.

Why limit to a product like Battery that can load only 48 sounds(or how many there are). Often drumsamplers are only 18 sounds or so.

With a proper sampler you can look into getting grand pianos and anything at all. After a while you will for sure start looking for other instruments than drums and you don't need to buy new products, just buy sample libraries and load and you are done.

If you have a real hard time managing computer softare a dedicated drumsampler might be easier, but if you like to learn stuff as you go, a real general sampler has a lot more to offer.

That's my way of thinking too. Why buy Battery when you can get a full blown sampler like Vsampler for the same money.
Well I haven't tried the latest version of VSampler but last time I checked I didn't like it all that much. And I'm pretty sure there are a couple of functions in Battery that are not there in VSampler.
Why limit to a product like Battery that can load only 48 sounds(or how many there are). Often drumsamplers are only 18 sounds or so.
To be pedantic here: you can LOAD an almost unlimited number of sounds into Battery (I think in Battery2 it is unlimited)...
With a proper sampler you can look into getting grand pianos and anything at all. After a while you will for sure start looking for other instruments than drums and you don't need to buy new products, just buy sample libraries and load and you are done.
That depends on the kind of music you make. Although I don't disagree that makes sense to have some kind of a general purpose sampler as well...
If you have a real hard time managing computer softare a dedicated drumsampler might be easier, but if you like to learn stuff as you go, a real general sampler has a lot more to offer.
I think "a drum sampler will provide more ease of use (and probably also better functionality) for working with drums, but with regard to pitched samples a general purpose sampler is the way to go" is a better way to put it.
If you have tried various samplers and drum samplers and you found a drum sampler doesn't have anything to offer you above a sampler with regard to drums that's fine by me, though, and I'll be happy as a blind man who has just found out he only forgot to take off his very dark sunglasses. :P

Cheers, Jo
You have no right to remain silent!
www.soundcloud/phunkberater

It doesn't seem like it would be that much of a hassle to load all these sounds. I'm sure the features in a drum can be located just as easily in a sampler. Reason I'm ttrying to get 2 with one right now is that I'm a little low on cash (Just bought Digital Performer 4.5, MX4, studio headphones, radium49... maybe something else, I've lost track.) So until I get more money I need something that will give methe most features. The important thing is getting some beats tho as I have no form of percussion right now, so I don't wanna feel like an idiot for getting a sampler and realizing it doesn't do what a drum wouldve done.

I think you're right, Just Float. I use Tracktion's built-in sampler for drums at the moment, just load the sample I need into a key range. Also a combination of soundfont drum files loaded in SFZ will be more of the same.

As long as it works for you, there's no point in buying anything else. Maybe later on your needs will change, so postpone moving on until then,

Return to “Instruments”