Soft Synth version of Oberheim Xpander?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Always wanted an Xpander/Matrix-12, but to be honest I'd probably be better off with an OBX emulation or something, the Xpander being so complex and all...
Cosmic Bandito wrote: Never heard the Xpander
Here's an audio review of the Oberheim Matrix-12 (basically 2 Xpanders + a keyboard): Matrix-12 Demo.mp3

It's copied from a 1980's magazine audio tape, so don't expect great quality... ;)
"it's easy to fall into the trap of buying the latest instead of getting the best from what you've got." - Billy Currie (ULTRAVOX) in Melody Maker July, 1981

danielmm wrote:...not this person.... I have an Xpander and if you have 2000.00US, you can have one too. :D

dano
I've got one too... bought it new about 15 years ago for about 2k US.

But I would never wanna sell it.
Last edited by John Vulich on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I found an amazing recreation of the OB-Xb in the Reaktor Online Library. It sounds AMAZING and FAT. :shock: :D

Mad Jack wrote:Always wanted an Xpander/Matrix-12, but to be honest I'd probably be better off with an OBX emulation or something, the Xpander being so complex and all...
Cosmic Bandito wrote: Never heard the Xpander
Here's an audio review of the Oberheim Matrix-12 (basically 2 Xpanders + a keyboard): Matrix-12 Demo.mp3

It's copied from a 1980's magazine audio tape, so don't expect great quality... ;)

Just checked out the demo. Not an expert but I can hear similarities and some apparent differences with the Evolver. Oberheim sounds softer and more traditionally analog. In your example, they highlight orchestral and even acoustic piano patches. Evolver (just the analog ocs i'm talking about) sound more digital with more bite. Better for experimental and industrial, but not meant as a replacement for that heavenly traditional analog sound like Jupiter or Oberheim series. However, The Evo's modulation capabilities yeild much better results than in the example you provided for the Matrix 12. If Mod-Matrix is your thing you won't find better for the price than the Evo :wink: .
Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real.
-Niels Bohr

The Xpander was used in DJ Sasha's "Xpander". It's probably the best example.

danielmm wrote:I have an Xpander
Where do you live again? :D

I now a shop where you can buy a unused (new) OB-12 for 666€. I heard these oberheim synths had very sucking presets. but what about the rest:

real or virtual analogue ?
good filters ?

they look awesome but 666€ for a masterkeyboard is to expensive. so what about the synth itself? worth the bucks ?

any experiences ?

-cheers

i own a Matrix 12 serial number 550001
paid something like $2300 usd for it about 1984 (?)
i had to have the aftertouch installed after i bought it.
$2000 usd seems to be the going rate yet.
i would never sell it.
for one thing my wife loves that sound.
nothing fills a room with sound the way that thing can.

..deleted

Galleoneer wrote:I now a shop where you can buy a unused (new) OB-12 for 666€. I heard these oberheim synths had very sucking presets. but what about the rest:

real or virtual analogue ?
good filters ?

they look awesome but 666€ for a masterkeyboard is to expensive. so what about the synth itself? worth the bucks ?

any experiences ?

-cheers
They're VAs, with modelled OB filters, etc- not analog (or DCO for that matter like the M6/12 were).
I'd pass myself...
@ wrench- that was about the going price in 84- if you got lucky. Can't remember AT being an add-on after the beginning of production, though (and yours is the earliest s/n I know of- trade show demo from Roger Dumas's shop, maybe?)
One in good shape will run you about $3500 these days.
ew
A spectral heretic...

ew wrote: They're VAs, with modelled OB filters, etc- not analog (or DCO for that matter like the M6/12 were).
I'd pass myself...
thnx :wink:

Return to “Instruments”