Great News for Users of SE Synths...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yes, all it was waiting for was your vacuous contribution.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote:Anyway, how many free synths out there are more complex than kARMAkILLER or NEOkILLER? PolyIblit is the only one I can think of that comes close.
Maybe this one. :)

the backwards compatibility improvements are definitely a good thing. but i dont think its a complete guarantee that all changes wont run the risk of patch compatibility issues.

the next update to string theory unfortunately wont be backwards compatible. strangely, it somehow lost compatibility months ago...without my changing anything internally. in december, i released an update to texture that shouldnt have caused compatibility problems, but old patches wouldnt load anyway.

considering how long it had been since they were previously updated, i think its possible that the incompatibility may have been caused by one of the larger SE updates. (for example, i remember jeff having done some larger work/changes on the midi to cv module.) who knows, it would be humorously ironic if my patch compatibility was lost due to the changes that would improve compatibility for future releases.

but in any case, yes i of course do agree with you bones...anything that helps SE retain backwards compatibility better is definitely a very good thing.

oh to add to the list/discussion of free synth complexity...
what about crystal? i havent used it much, but that appears to be rather complex for a free synth.

and, if i may be so bold in mentioning it, i think motion has a lot of programming/modulation options going for it too. (4 envelopes, 3 sequencers, and 8 lfos with 17 destinations...and a randomizer too.) :wink:

-ugo

Bones, are you always such a rude bastard?
Mixcraft 8 Recording Studio : Reason 10

Pretty much. j_p - Dragon may have more controls but it is roughly on a par with kARMAkILLER, I'd say. Dunno how I forgot about Crystal, its one of the most complex synths at any price-point.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

i like the sound of kittenkiller...it could be soundset-based...i'l start collecting.

uncadave wrote:i like the sound of kittenkiller...it could be soundset-based...i'l start collecting.
:o :o :o not the little kitties!

Shif.
"Micro Kid speaks digi-talk.."

>
:x :cry: :x :cry: :x :cry: :x
Q U A K E K I L L E R
:-o :shock: :o :lol: :x :cry: :hihi:
--JAIDY
--addicted to VSTs --

Just 'cause I have some spare time to throw out meaningless suggestions for new names for your already-amazing-synths:

TIMEKILLER

RELATIONSHIPKILLER

CAREERKILLER (or, if you have to have a "Q", QAREERKILLER)

SELFKILLER

DOGMAKILLER

FAITHKILLER

MONEYKILLER

RELIGIONKILLER

HOMEKILLER

TVKILLER

RADIOKILLER

SONGKILLER

MUSEKILLER

SLEEPKILLER

......as if there were a shortage.........

-bjc
8)
Boo-Frickety-Hoo.
-Dr. Evil

BONES wrote:j_p - Dragon may have more controls but it is roughly on a par with kARMAkILLER, I'd say.
In terms of modulation destinations I really don't think the two are comparable.

kARMAkILLER - 8 x 5 Mod Matrix

Dragon II - 3 x LFO and 3 x Env, each with 24 simultaneous destinations. Mod wheel and velocity each with 33 simultaneous destinations. Dedicated amp env and filters env.

But I'd say that the kARMAkILLER is probably a lot easier on the CPU. :)

I'd love to have a synth called ZARDOZ for some reason. It might help me play better. :ud: The _KILLER line of synths are legendary though. I'm trying Dragon II now as well. :wink:

j_p wrote:Dragon II - 3 x LFO and 3 x Env, each with 24 simultaneous destinations. Mod wheel and velocity each with 33 simultaneous destinations. Dedicated amp env and filters env.
OK, at first glance it looks like it only has one LFO. The GUI is very confusing. So the thing I thought was the LFO is in fact a multi-page LFO/Envelope display? I geddit, although many of those destinations are hardly useful and some are doubled up. I assume its SynthEdit?

BONES wrote:OK, at first glance it looks like it only has one LFO. The GUI is very confusing. So the thing I thought was the LFO is in fact a multi-page LFO/Envelope display? I geddit, although many of those destinations are hardly useful and some are doubled up. I assume its SynthEdit?

Yes, the Moddisplay switches the pages. There maybe some routings which you think are not useful (or doubled up) but the philosophy behind these was that if it can affect the sound in any way,(or allow finer tweaking) - stick it in; and yes, it was made with SynthEdit.

Jez

Oh sorry, something with a 'Q'...

qUOCkILLER - Don't f**k with it! :uhuhuh:

It'd be big in Viet Nam atleast? :shrug:

Just in case you ever change your mind, and want to make a Killer synth with a "Q" name, here are a few ideas:

QuadKiller - Vector Synthesis at its finest.

QuidKiller - Refers to the price of the synth.

QuartKiller - All the controls are labeled in metric units.

Q-Killer - A synth with a very non-resonant filter section.

KillerQueen - A niche synth, designed and optimized to play only the song of the same name.

:hihi:
McLilith

Return to “Instruments”