What's the PPG Wave synth good at?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Pads, keys, leads, what?

All 3. It's also good for that wavetable-bass sound. PPGs have a specific sound though, you either love it or hate it.

It also benefits from some processing. Judicious compression can really bring the thing to life.

I like to process it with voxengo's voxformer, but you might just want to strap endorphin on it.

It also doesn't have any sweeteners on it like a delay or reverb. The PPG plug tried to faithfully recreate the original...including a lack of built in effects.
Last edited by Notron User on Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Check out MCL's song "New York" there are some PPG riffs in that song...

makin sounds useful in all kind of situations i wold have said 8)

being a synth? just guessing.

I would also venture to say that the PPG is good at making PPG sounds...

S_A_P wrote:Check out MCL's song "New York" there are some PPG riffs in that song...
Please excuse my ignorance, who or what is MCL?

the factory sounds kinda sucked - at least to these ears - but there are some soundbanks from third parties that really made me sit on my hind haunches and take notice - in other words, it is capable of producing some real gems

Some synths have unremarkable presets, and the PPG has one of the most boring preset sets ever--but like mayan said, there are third-party presets that shows just how capable it really is. On a side note, I was less than impressed by Kubik's presets recently. I was expecting to hear something as impressive as Waldorf hardware sounds, with all the people telling me it's the only softsynth that can do that type of sound. What I did hear was a lot of weak, thin, or less than composer friendly sounds--seems like a lot of it was made by the knob-tweaking type for other knob-tweaking types instead of musicians.

it's digital, it's cold, it's mighty powerful - it's the sound of the 80's in a nutshell! :-D 8)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

MCL is the Dallas, Tejas group Micro Chip League. They had a minor club hit in the 80s with New York. They used quite a bit of the PPG

Lunatique wrote:I was less than impressed by Kubik's presets recently.
Agreed. The default preset 'Reznose' is particularly bad - it should boot up with a real stunner IMO.

Lunatique wrote:. On a side note, I was less than impressed by Kubik's presets recently. I was expecting to hear something as impressive as Waldorf hardware sounds, with all the people telling me it's the only softsynth that can do that type of sound. What I did hear was a lot of weak, thin, or less than composer friendly sounds--seems like a lot of it was made by the knob-tweaking type for other knob-tweaking types instead of musicians.
I strongly disagree - I'm not the typical know-tweaker -
and I think Kubik is wonderful :love:

Did you listen to my demo tracks? Do they sound like rather being made by a 'knob tweaking type' than a musician to you? :?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

It's up there with wearing leather shorts for pretending to be in Depeche Mode.

Return to “Instruments”