What are your top VSTI'S for hip hop production?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

WWWWHAT!?

YYYYYYYYYYEEAH!!

blackanom wrote:v-12,

Yeah I got all those and they are all hot. Also

Korg Legacy
Minimonster
stomp bud (if used right)
What about the Plugsounds Hiphop module?

It's all in how you use em'

nuffink wrote:Hip-hop synths. Fascinatng.
Not to be confused with country music synths, of course. :P

Let me just start out by saying I'm into the west coast sound.

-Trilogy
-Intakt
-Stylus RMX
-Korg Legacy
-Arturia Moog V / Minimoog
-Real Guitares
-Superior DFH
-Elektrik Piano

That's the instruments i use the most. got others as well..., plus a bunch of plugins like Izotope vinyl, Scarbee vintage keyboard, xscratch ect.

Sounds you don't hear enough of anymore....

Oberheim DMX - There is a sample set in Linplug RM-IV*, and suprisingly, not one in SS2. Think Prince a la early eighties. (also Run-DMC, Beastie Boys, New Order)

Personally, I never much cared for the Roland TR-xxx (blasphemy, I know), although I have owned nearly all of them at one point or another (mostly IN the Eighties). Wish people would just give that one a rest.

*called "One For The Kit", also in the demo I think....

hip hop is a state of mind, not a bunch of vsts

a sampler ?? :idea: :idea:
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

maybe you like me dr-fusion :)
Odo. ;)
Make Your Voice Heard!!
EUROPEAN VAPERS PROTEST 29th 2.00PM.It saved my life.

S_A_P® wrote:hip hop is a state of mind, not a bunch of vsts
LOl.... how do u figure? Hip hoppers has from the beginning been using the most advanced music technology at hand so why stop now? I know some people who ONLY use the old stuff but they're limited by resources imo.
People who's still using ONLY 808's and 909's oughta think twice cause they're outdated!

First off let me say I love hip hop! Some of you are all tight in the face when I mention the use of vsti's (synths, etc) in hip hop production. Open your mind dog. Just because you use vsti's doesn't mean it has to sound corny, cheap, or thin. It's 2005 man, things have changed. I use samples (vinyl) and vsti's together. I know we all love the dirt, but trust me this helps me sell my dirt a lot faster.

My favorites are:

Albino2,Plugsound5,EmulatorX with Mo phatt set. Most useless :z3ta+

Funkadelic wrote:
People who's still using ONLY 808's and 909's oughta think twice cause they're outdated!
This is not totally true. Jermain Dupri and Lil Jon still use the 808's in a lot of there tracks and a few other producers from the "South." Its a little different than what we heard in the 80's and 90's NY hip-hop.

This "Southern" hip-hop may have revived the 808's.

I think what S_A_P meant was that you can make hip-hop with any tools you want, as long as YOU know how to make it..
The best tool for hip-hop is then.. your mind.. Not what vst or hardware you use..
I'm a Jugga Nut!

Funkadelic wrote:
LOl.... how do u figure? Hip hoppers has from the beginning been using the most advanced music technology at hand so why stop now? I know some people who ONLY use the old stuff but they're limited by resources imo.
Actually, hip hop started using junky drum machines from the late 70s and early 80s that no other musicians deemed worthy of using. The 808s were bought second hand for nearly 1/3 of their original asking prices and were used to much success. It was then that sampling "older" compositions came into vogue and was used as an instrument.

All that my original posts was stating is that the second you think you "need" a certain vst to make hip hop you are already trying to follow a trend instead of creating one. This goes for all kinds of music.

Return to “Instruments”