BFD or Battery 2?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BrufordRules wrote:Another amazing library is Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums. I don't know if it works as standalone.

Check it out the video demo:

http://www.larryseyer.com/lsl/

Cheers
yes, this is a very nice kit, i hope FXpansion steal some ideas from it.. it really proves that things sound differently from one side of the drum to the other... they have the snare mapped out from left to right in 8 zones. and the toms, all the way to the metal edges!!

but, to have to run it in giga sucks..

bfd rocks ;)

Jaeson Merrill wrote:...but, to have to run it in giga sucks..

bfd rocks ;)
What do you mean? It didn't work?

bduffy wrote:
Jaeson Merrill wrote:...but, to have to run it in giga sucks..

bfd rocks ;)
What do you mean? It didn't work?
I dont know, i dont have it.. I just wouldnt want to bother with giga 3, hearing of bugginess and other crap.

Anyhow, the velocity layers in Larry's kit seem quite limited.. Its only 8 gig for 115 kits??? sounds fishy to me.

yes, this is a very nice kit, i hope FXpansion steal some ideas from it..
The thing is.. the numbers on that Larry Seyer lib just don't add up. Most of those 100+ "kits" are actually the same old samples stuck through convolution presets.. sure, that's nice for the "I need that sound NOW" crowd, but not the same thing as BFD by far. We could easily stick a few FX algorithms on the front end of BFD and claim each mixer-preset to be a "unique kit", but to me that seems kinda cheesy.

The LS library has about 6GB of samples overall. A typical snare articulation weighs in at 60MB, similar to the low-end of the range for a BFD snare articulation. To fit true multiple mics, AND eight hit positions, AND a decent number of velocities, in to a 60MB file, defies the laws of physics. I suspect what they're doing is faking the multiple mic channels using convolution.

That said.. positional hits are nice, and the LS library does indeed sound good (at least, the kicks and snares do).. the high-end Roland TD-brains do positional sensing as well, and it does add to the realism. When we recorded the original BFD, it was something we decided to sacrifice (apart from basics like snare rim vs skin, hat tip vs shank, and ride bell vs bow), as it would have increased the volume of data (not to mention editing time) by 3-4 times. However, it's certainly something we can look at for the future, at least for a few favoured kit pieces.
This account is dormant, I am no longer employed by FXpansion / ROLI.

Find me on LinkedIn or elsewhere if you need to get in touch.

yes m8, if you see my above post youll notice i dont see how the numbers add up either.. i was just saying there were some interesting ideas used. And i think convolution would be cool to have in the BFD 2, with Compression and eq effects....

and it really does sound nice!

they said they recorded it with 6 mics, so if their lying about that well..

anyhow, i loaded up BFD before and got that good ole DW factory kit out, and love it. Theres nothing i cant do with it.

i think positional differentiating is a good idea for the future.

LM-4 all the way

:hihi:

Return to “Instruments”