Suggestions for GMEDIA/GForce regarding the M-Tron...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Should GMEDIA release more tape banks for the M-Tron?

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 18

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I bought M-Tron Complete from the GForce website. I was dissapointed with they way I received the M-Tron. The three seperate tape banks were bundled in DVD cases with the instrument CD, which was inside a card sleeve. I was dissapointed with the presentation of the package I received, and there were even some spelling mistakes here and there. :shock:

Suggestion No. 1
Wouldn't it be nice for future M-Tron Complete customers to receive this edition on a single DVD? Something I wish I had received! :roll:

Comments
Boxed presentation aside, I have to say that the M-Tron is absolutely fantastic! I am so glad that I decided to buy it after months of uncertainty. Congratulations GMEDIA on this excellent product. :love:

Suggestion No. 2
103 sounds in total is excellent and I appreciate the time and effort which you have put into the creation of this product, but...can we have more of the classic Mellotron sounds? Some of the classic sounds from the likes of Jean Michel Jarre, Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Pink Floyd, etc would be nice to have for example. :love:

Also, what happened to the Megatron? I remember reading about it somewhere a long time ago, but I can't remember where. I know that KVR had a link section dedicated for it.

Does anybody else have any thoughts about any of the comments above?

Cheers,
John 8)

*bump* :cry:

Calling all current and possible future M-Tron owners! :x

***NOTE FOR UK READERS 18+***
Come on, the UK general election is not the only thing you have to vote for today! :hihi::hihi::hihi:

The only thing I would change would be an option to have the samples loops endlessly. That way, you would have the option to use the "realistic" mode or the "modern" mode.

:)
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

Yes, that would be a cool feature. 8)

I bought the complete version last November and frankly, I didn't care about the packaging.

As for looping . . . I think that would be a bit of a problem. They've taken each sample directly and have not altered them at all. I've read comments from some professional engineers who worked for bands using Mellotrons "back in the day" where they said their favorite mellotron sounds were ones where the sounds had been cleaned up, tuned proplerly and then looped. That's a lot different than what we have with the M-Tron, which preservse the original sound "warts and all." There are bum notes, off notes, tape rumble and all kinds of nasty noise in these samples. Seems to me you'd have to do a lot of clean up of the sounds themselves before you could get convincing loops. And that would ruin the authenticity of the M-Tron for those who choose to use the "realistic" mode you mention. In fact, it would preclude a truly "real" mode at all (unless they used different samples for the "modern" mode).

My initial concerns with the M-Tron were addressed in update 4.6: Cubase projects now remember the preset used and the preset menu is no longer in one long continuous list.

The only suggestiong I'd have for them is to somehow change the sample names. Right now it's hard to tell from the preset names where some of the samples come from. Which were recorded with a mic, which were recorded directly? I have to keep going back to the original DVD boxes to find out . . . and I can't tell from the names which tape bank the sample in question came from.

***edit***
I'd actually like to see a total naming convention change to the samples, though updating pre-existing sample names would probably be a nightmare. Something like: Category_Instrument_Mellotron Version_Tape Bank_Special Note

So you would have names like:
Woodwind_Flute_MkIII_TB2_mic
Vocal_StPetersOo_MkII_TB3_2003
***edit end***

I'd much rather GMedia put a polyphony option on the Oddity than a loop function on M-Tron.

As for more sounds? Yeah, that would be nice, but I don't feel like we're missing a lot. There are already samples in there of sounds used by Tangerine Dream . . . several of the strings and the flute sounds are all over early TD/Froese work. I don't know if the other artists you mention used something else.

Well i'd always welcome new sounds. The only thing i would maybe like is i've heard that if you press on a Mellotron's keys harder that it increases the volume (and presumably adds a bit of drive), so it might be nice to have something like that assigned to aftertouch. Other than that i like it as it is.

Mr A

I'd much rather GMedia put a polyphony option on the Oddity
Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

The Maestro wrote:Hi,

I bought M-Tron Complete from the GForce website. I was dissapointed with they way I received the M-Tron. The three seperate tape banks were bundled in DVD cases with the instrument CD, which was inside a card sleeve. I was dissapointed with the presentation of the package I received, and there were even some spelling mistakes here and there. :shock:

In the overall scheme of things ... I dunno that spelling mistakes detract from the product's usefulness.

Suggestion No. 1
Wouldn't it be nice for future M-Tron Complete customers to receive this edition on a single DVD? Something I wish I had received! :roll:

Not everyone has a DVD reader ?

Comments
Boxed presentation aside, I have to say that the M-Tron is absolutely fantastic! I am so glad that I decided to buy it after months of uncertainty. Congratulations GMEDIA on this excellent product. :love:

Suggestion No. 2
103 sounds in total is excellent and I appreciate the time and effort which you have put into the creation of this product, but...can we have more of the classic Mellotron sounds? Some of the classic sounds from the likes of Jean Michel Jarre, Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Pink Floyd, etc would be nice to have for example. :love:

Also, what happened to the Megatron? I remember reading about it somewhere a long time ago, but I can't remember where. I know that KVR had a link section dedicated for it.

Does anybody else have any thoughts about any of the comments above?

I actually think that it's a great value for the dollar/euro. Especially when you compare it against Kontakt, etc. Unlike the NI stuff, for example, MTron makes no claims to being the "ultimate sampler" (that doesn't sample). Instead, they claim that they've softwarily re-created a classic 70's instrument, which they have. I'm old enough to remember that Mellotrons had only 8 seconds or so of play-time. In exchange for that limitation, however, you had the actual attack profile of the various instruments --pretty impressive.

I can also attest to MTron's lightweight footprint. Hardly stresses my workstation. Dependable too.

I think that Vol. 3 has one patch called Megatron, which is culled together from various other patches? I assume that you're talking about an entirely different VSTi? Sounds interesting.

Anyway, I've never regretted purchasing this paricular application. I'd buy it again if I had to.

Cheers,

TomR

Cheers,
John 8)

I voted for another tape bank but only if quality choir or strings sounds can be found or made. (Or like they did for the new choirs which do sound different and good). I don't want any more wacky sounds (the old version had a bad habit of replacing things like the choir with rythm section 3 or whatever when the song was recalled..something now fixed I think).
I'd vote against looping or any touch sensitivity.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Return to “Instruments”