First Steps, Emulating 8 bits Drums, NES Snare

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

Im continuing with my project of emulating sounds by synthetiser and try to get my own sound,

After reading a whole book about synthesis now Im getting into the matter triying to emulate 8 bits sounds , now Im with the drums.
I have taken an aproach of watching the Oscilloscope and the Spectrogram and shape the wave accordingly. (the main tool I use is the oscilloscope)

Please check this pictures, the Wave shown in Yellow is the original wave of the sound from a NES Sampler, the orange one represents my imitation by using Ableton's Operator.

i(m)gur.com/a/TAkac

After checking in itself the yellow wave I can assume that:

Attack 8 ms
Decay 120 ms
No sustain, no Release

Sine wave with aprox 100 Hz modulated in amplitude by a pseudo sine-wave probably a Noise Oscilator in High Freq (it gives the sound of noise)

The Wave also seems to decrease its Frequency a little bit, so its Frequency modulated as well but in a really low rate.

So I set up Operator with OSC 1 in Fixed mode Sine-Wave 103 Hz , Attack 8, Decay 123, Sustain -Inf
To imitate the Noise I set up the LFO in the Highest Rate (which I dont know really which rate is it cause Abletons user guide is confusing about this) , and a high amount.
I dont know how to set up and FM on this for such a low rate of decreasing

First doubt , I think to do such an FM I need another LFO, which the instrument lacks of, I tried to download a VST of LFO but I dont understand them, its been said there is one for Max for Live but I cannot Install it dont know why.
Do you know about a simple LFO for routing this kind of things?
Second doubt. When I select Noise on the LFO of Ableton, it means white Noise, but I dont understand how it can have a rate as it is noise. What kind of noise it is in fact? (pitched noise? can somebody explain something about this?)

(Ive heard that the functioning of the NES Noise module is quite unique so I know the sound Im going to get is going to differ much but I want to know how to get closer to that sound)

Third doubt. About such a FM I have to do , first, I guess I need another LFO, thats great, but how can I graphically measure this FM by seing the Oscilloscope of the original wave?

Forth Doubt. How can I also measure the "Pitched Noise" Frequencie for AM that the Original wave has, is there any tool or just manually?.

Does all the stuff I wrote above even make any sense? I've been trapped in my room for quite lots of nights trying to tackle this issue of emulating sounds and this is my first sound to be emulated.
Ive bought the Welsh Synth Cookbook which is arriving this days at my home. Hope my approach is on the right direction.

Thank you for helping me.
Ableton Live 9 ¦¦ Akai Midi Mix (+ Isotonik Studios Script),Akai MPK Mini ¦¦ Korg Volca Bass,Arturia MicroBrute ¦¦ Avid Mbox 2
These are just the cooking items, but the ingredients are the ideas.
Once you master your gear, focus on your ideas.

Return to “Sound Design”