Sounds of Old School Gaming

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been away from this forum for a reaaaaally long time - and from music, syntesis and forums in general. Anyway - I've found inspiration again and when browsing KVR, the forum headline: How to make that sound, grabbed my attention.

Here's a video tutorial I made on designing old school, computer game like sounds using the Elektron Analog Keys. And the techniques used could most likely be used on other machines as well.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmDMmNy49Tc
Electronic Rhythm and Melody since 2002

Interesting. You might find some stimulating conversation around these ideas, and the hardware of old, at the various game/system emulator forums, in particular the Bannister/MESS and MAMEWorld forums (Emuchat) with blokes like R. Belmont and Lord Nightmare, perhaps some others.

being a software developer, i have followed the topic of "reduced bit synthesis" for many years.

pause for emphasis.

there are videos i would like to link here from youtube but youtube has obfuscated all "my favourite" "liked" "subscribed" video list features, so i cannot find what i watched four months back.

i thought these videos are called 8 bit micro symphonies, but if you type that in, you will be digging through shit all day

you see, to me, it is a big, big mystery why people attempting to emulate a digital synthesis technique, are doing so with aa oscillators.

what a poverty that "that is all we have!" when the raw materials are right in front of you, unavailed as no one releases any platform for them.

the videos i want to link generate "songs" by using low bit depth math operations... eg.

n is an unsigned short int (0 to 65535)

the audio signal you want is a char (8 bit variable).

so you do something like

n++; //(n is just counting)
(char output) = ((n * 13) >> 3) | ((n + 17) & 95);

and it, maybe, produces some weird burst of noise.

these videos demonstrate that these noises can be anything from .. practically broadband noise, to almost composed, harmonic music with periodic waves with harmonics.. even passages.. if i could find that f**ker's channel i subscribed to, but oh, no! youtube doesn't want me finding shit or telling anyone about it. god forbid if i were actually able to communicate and elicit this information for others.

it might stop you buying another lame ass emulation and being able to do somethnig that actually is what was being done, for very low cpu, except of course, at a different bitrate. i've only experimented with this synthesis at 44.1k (most of the sounds in the video games i made this year use this process, but they're mainly guns and bombs).

anyway. i just want to put my hands on my head and make my head explode in a nasty mess every time i see people makign 8 bit sounds with fancy oscillators when the computer is right there.

i guess people are worried that, if they gave you some actual decent way to do things, they'd stop making money off you.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

here are some others. f**k i can't find any trace of that guy, and it pisses me off. wordpress and youtube channel, nordic nation.

i know this doesn't help you, but if you could hear this shit, you'd realise, this is the shit.

pu = ((ph*(ph&675)*772)&(ph+ph))>>9;

ex = ((ex0*(ex0&675)*em0)&(ex0*5))>>11;

u =(u2*((u2&shm2)|(u2*78)))>>11;

u =(u0*((u0&shm0)|(u0*77)))>>11;

f**king bullshit society. everyone trying to keep everyone ignorant so they can derive profit off them.

real math. real numbers. that's how you do this shit, not antialiased oscillators.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Old School Gaming... Like Scrabble? - http://www.freesfx.co.uk/sfx/board%20game

Not bad man, love them old school sounds :)

@xoxos: hahahahah, love both the vernacular and rage, as well as the technical stuff. To answer your question, though: humans are inherently physical and visual, hence mechanical and visual interfaces. Also notice he has an assload of gear and not a computer in sight. I love computers. Some people love dedicated hardware.

(And, I agree with you, in that Capitalism is a conspiracy. Kinda like morality: a crude tool to reckon the world by.)
Last edited by neshel on Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

@xoxos
isn't that "bytebeat"? (I don't know much math, so it all looks the same to me.)

http://canonical.org/~kragen/bytebeat/

Caustic 3 (a android-focused DAW) has a bytebeat synth.
Never found a VST.

Yeah, I'm guessing xoxox talks about bytebeat. Some other renders of bytebeat formulas:

http://countercomplex.blogspot.com/2011 ... ne-of.html

and yet no one has made a free bytebeat vsti.

Who needs a bytebeat vsti when a C compiler is right at your fingertips! I know that's that most intuitive instrument for most musicians... :hihi:
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Sound Design”