Short Upward Pitch Sweep

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is my first foray into sound design. I've been using Sampletank on an iPad using a MIDI controller keyboard with my band. It had been working very well for our songs until we decided to do Kate Bush's Running Up That Hill from the Hounds of Love album. I'm trying to recreate the lead synth sound on the iPad. I've purchased Peter Vogel's CMI Fairlight app but I can't work out how to create the short upward pitch sweep at the start of each note.

I'd be grateful if anyone could answer these questions:

1. Is there an iPad synth (any synth) with the Running Up That Hill synth as a preset?

2. Could you recommend a synth I could buy from the app store and let me know (or link to) how to create a short upward sweep at the start of the sound when I press the key down? If I can't get the exact Kate Bush sound I'll use a patch that's anywhere close but I'd like to get the upward sweep. I know I could use the pitch bend wheel but it's difficult for me to get consistent quick short bends.

3. Is there a better way I'm not considering?

Thanks.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
I've had no luck finding a preset but I've managed to get a quick upward pitch bend when pressing down a key.

I downloaded Sunrizer (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/sunrizer-synth/id443663267?mt=8) from the Apps Store. It wasn't too expensive and seemed powerful enough yet not too complicated. After reading anything I could find about Synth programming I managed to get an upward pitch bend by assigning 'Pitch' to a LFO and playing with the settings until the bend sounded right. It's been fascinating learning about the terminology and how sounds are produced on synths.

My next step is to find an iPad Sampler. I'm thinking I can load in the original Running Up That Hill sample from the Fairlight bank (the CELLO2 patch from what I've read) and use the same process with a LFO to add the pitch bend at the start of the sound (if that is possible on an iPad Sampler).

Any recommendations for an iPad sampler that can do that?

Darn that this one slipped by all the geekys.
Well done, fair play!
Yes typically you would assign an envelope with slow attack and max sustain to pitch.
Usually this is done with a mod matrix.
An LFO will work if it is not free-running, ie. re-triggering, as u have found,
as long as shape and phase are correct.

Are you sure u can't do it in SampleTank?
Any ST users out there?

Enjoy!

I can't find any controls to modify the sound in SampleTank (iOS version) that will bend the pitch up at the start of the note.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll look into a mod matrix.

Return to “Sound Design”