Big click on Bass drum

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I desperately want to create a click for a bass drum. Not a little click, a big one cutting thru the entire mix! I want my top kick have a character of a 909 rim shot! Is there a special technique to get this, some sort of clipping? Compression and envelopes don't get me even halfway. :/

Yes, clip it with some sort of saturator to make the envelope flat.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Yes, mix a 909 rim shot with your bass drum.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:Yes, mix a 909 rim shot with your bass drum.
Exactly. Just layer a 909 rimshot with the kick if that's the character you're looking for.
Turn off your Brain & Turn on your Heart

If you are fairly competent with FM synthesis you can do this piss easy in an FM synth.the rim shot would literally be 2 operators and perhaps another 2 for the actual "kick"element.bonus is the fact that you can use phase modulation (modulating the operators with one another by varying amounts) to actually integrate the 2 sounds better than you could ever hope to do trying to get a rim shot sample to work on the front of the kick(especially if it's something similar to an 808)
I

Thanks everyone! And thanks Timt for the FM tip. Looking forward to use phase modulation to make the sound blend perfectly.

Return to “Sound Design”