WTF is a Korg "Pro-Wave"?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not that it really matters, but I just built a patch using some sounds I had from something called a "Pro-Wave". Googling only turns up the name in similar batches of vintage drum machine sounds. I do think there was a mention or two of it being a "MIDI daughter card" (whatever the heck that is).

Has anyone seen one in a hundred years?

George

Are you sure it wasn't a generically named "wave" from a Korg "Pro" keyboard? (of which there were many - Triton Pro, O1/w Pro etc)

Or even Zarg's Pro-Wave? (Zarg is John Bowen, who worked for Korg and helped design the Wavestation, amongst other things...)

Hey,

No, that was my first guess (that it was a misnamed machine). It seems more likely that it's maybe a batch from something which wasn't strictly for drums, as it is sort of a weird assortment. It has two snares, two rides/crashes, but NO toms. They don't sound all that new either. I think I also saw a readme implying that they were directly extracted from ROM somehow (points to the "card" idea).

VIBRSLAP.WAV
TMBALELO.WAV
TAMBORIN.WAV
SPLSHCYM.WAV
SNARE2P.WAV
SNARE1P.WAV
SIDESTIK.WAV
RIDECYM2.WAV
RIDECYM1.WAV
RIDEBELL.WAV
PDLHIHAT.WAV
OPNHIHAT.WAV
KICKDRM1.WAV
HANDCLAP.WAV
CRSHCYM2.WAV
CRSHCYM1.WAV
COWBELL.WAV
CLSHIHAT.WAV
CABASA.WAV
BONGOLOW.WAV

Thanks!

Hi to anwser your questions its the Professinal version of the Korg Wave

sorry couldnt resist- had a quick look around and cant find anything either- there doesnt seem to be anything on korg site etc

probably just made up.

the korg pro-wave is wavetable daughtercard for 386/486 computer ISA soundcards.
it was made in combination with MEDIA VISION which was a company that made soundblaster type soundcards in the early - mid 90s and then went out of business due to some type of stock-fraud.

looks like this

GERMAN
http://www.amoretro.de/2014/01/media-vi ... d-4mb.html

ENGLISH
https://translate.google.ca/translate?s ... t=&act=url

basically it produces sound similar to other sound modules by Korg made in the 90s
such as the 03/RW and the 05/RW modules, possibly the 01/RW and other korg products such as Korg M1, T1, T2, T3, X2, X3, X5, X5DR, X5D, N5, etc
--

supernova777 wrote:the korg pro-wave is wavetable daughtercard for 386/486 computer ISA soundcards.
Its entirely possible that the OP might have figured that out in the 6 years that have passed since they asked...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

beej wrote:Are you sure it wasn't a generically named "wave" from a Korg "Pro" keyboard? (of which there were many - Triton Pro, O1/w Pro etc)

Or even Zarg's Pro-Wave? (Zarg is John Bowen, who worked for Korg and helped design the Wavestation, amongst other things...)
The ProWave rules.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

whyterabbyt wrote:
supernova777 wrote:the korg pro-wave is wavetable daughtercard for 386/486 computer ISA soundcards.
Its entirely possible that the OP might have figured that out in the 6 years that have passed since they asked...
Eight years...

Ayorinde wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
Eight years...
:dog:
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

the korg pro-wave is wavetable daughtercard for 386/486 computer ISA soundcards
386s - remember them? I was still using my Atari...

whyterabbyt wrote:Its entirely possible that the OP might have figured that out in the 6 years that have passed since they asked...
Creepy. I just happen to be building drum patches again and ran into some questions on sustain and voicing that I could swear I asked somewhere online, so I googled it and ran across this thread which has somehow just been resurrected. Hadn't logged in here in ages. Also didn't realize I made a Korg patch already. I've got a feeling there's an external SCSI drive out there somewhere with a bunch of stuff I'm wasting time re-doing.

@Supernova - I remember them (Media Vision)! I think I've had a couple of those around here, but no daughtercards. I think I may also have had some rare version of a Mac Nubus card they made with a breakout box and all (maybe the "Pro Audio Spectrum"). It was about the closest Mac thing that Digidesign had as competition back in the early days. Probably similar to their Audiomedia card back then. It had a D-sub connector with something ridiculous like five rows of pins in it.

Take Care

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”