Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Don grosh actually has an electrajet that pretty much fits the telemaster description:

and this gold top is my all fav:

got to be ready to shell out 4k$ though :)

sexy.

I'd have to grow longer fingers, get bigger hands, have nanobots repair my failing body, not have this money pit of a home, and loose 20 lb's before I'd consider getting one of those. But they sure are purdy :smile:

Ian B wrote:
Ian B wrote:
Ian B wrote:My next (and last for a long time) is arriving sometime tomorrow morning :D :tu:

A Skylark acoustic roundback electro-classical http://www.skylarkguitars.com/skylark-r ... 194-0.html I'd had my heart set on the non electric version for a while as I :love: the idea of a all wood roundback, but the £69 difference between that and the electric persuaded me to go for the latter as it seems pups for nylon strung guitars can be a tad expensive. £311 inc hard case and delivery seems a good buy imo, tho' time will tell.
It arrived earlier, and while it looks fantastic (tho' very heavy :shock:) there are issues that are almost certainly going to make me return it as not suitable.

First up, tho' this could be my not being used to nylon strung guitars, the G, B and E seem very dull and the action is far higher than I'm used to, not that I expected it to be flush to the fretboard. The biggest problem is the pup, no matter how I tried I couldn't get a balanced output across all 6 strings, the top E is noticably quieter and isn't improved much by taking off all the bottom end/middle via the inbuilt EQ.

'EDIT'

I mailed Steve at Skylark with my concerns and within minutes he'd phoned to talk about them. The upshot is, he's arranging for it to be picked up tomorrow to take it back and get their in house tech to set it up to my specs, in as far as they can with the action, new high tension strings should help. Seemingly they replace the plastic saddle with a bone one on these guitars and the variation in volume could be down to that not sitting corerctly on the piezo. All in all, this is excellent customer service imo.
It turned out the transducer was faulty on my Skylark Classical, that has been replaced along with having the saddle lowered and nut slots filed to give a better action. It seems odd that the faulty pickup wasn't spotted prior to dispatch, but there you go, it's scheduled for delivery tomorrow morning and this time, I hope it plays and sounds as good as it looks.
It duly arrived and was a big improvement, tho' I'm still not 100% happy with the slightly uneven output when amplified/plugged in.

More importantly, if as Steve said, they replaced a plastric saddle with a bone one, then I've got a plastic skeleton. I removed it to see if I could get it to sit on the transducer better and couldn't resist filing a bit off the height while I was at it, and bone shouldn't file so easily. I'm still going to let my tech give it the works as it needs a slight fret dress, and bacause I perhaps filed a tad too much off the saddle, a new one. It should have been picked up yesterday but my tech never arrived as arranged, but I can wait as it's still eminently playable as is, the action barring at the 12th fret is great, it could be better still.
RIP Black Tom and Beckett. They weren't just cats, they were MY cats, the best cats ever.

monsterbeetle wrote:Don grosh actually has an electrajet that pretty much fits the telemaster description:

y'know, I think that works better. He's gone for a slightly less extreme offset shape which I suits the scratchplate shape better. Same with the 'strat;.

V.cool.

Well, nothing fancy just looking for a simple Telecaster, not too expensive

I picked up a new Behringer Strat for nix a while back and its good for recording but a bit lightweight for live. Iv never realy been into the Telecasters. I do need a new bass. I got samples off the old bass and that was a lot of work and I need the results to be as close as I can possibly get.

Well, I'd like to have another instrument to have the freedom of experimenting with open tunings and never have to be in a hurry to switch back to standard... :shrug:

Cheers

Laguna Rising wrote:Well, I'd like to have another instrument to have the freedom of experimenting with open tunings and never have to be in a hurry to switch back to standard... :shrug:

Cheers
Me too. Although I think I'd probably get a resonator to experiment with open tunings a lot more and do a bit more slide playing.

What do you think about an Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 for a starter electric guitar?

I think it would be nice.
The only drawback I guess is resale as it's not Gibson branded.
I have an old Japanese copy myself.
It kinda cool.
I stuck some Seymour Duncan pickups in it, so it sounds really sweet now, not for aggressive sounds, more pretty ones :)
This is the most successful thread I've started here
Thanks to the contributors and hoping you turn up a killer riff or 2
8D

nix808 wrote:The only drawback I guess is resale as it's not Gibson branded.
I think Gibson branding probably loses you more money on resale - you pay more in the first place and a recent Gibson doesn't get a high resale value like an older one. Might actually be better off with an Epiphone for resale value (less to lose).

Fine then, I'm happy with my new long-term goal :P
And what do you think, how much mess is adding a 3rd pickup between the two humbuckers?
Just let its Sound do the talking: http://www.synthmaster.com/

rectus_dominus wrote:Fine then, I'm happy with my new long-term goal :P
And what do you think, how much mess is adding a 3rd pickup between the two humbuckers?
That's something I'd leave to an experienced luthier considering you'd have to rout the body for this one.

Hey all. I turn 50 today, and my wife and kids surprised me over the weekend with a pristine Fender Strat circa 1994. I've had a Mexican Strat for years, but this thing is the real deal-plays and sounds like a dream. Been playing it since I unwrapped it!

My wife knows nothing about guitars, but over the years has really gone out of her way to get me some nice stuff. A few years back she got me an Alvarez Acoustic (C-model) which is an amazing thing of beauty. She also got me the aforementioned Mexican Strat, not realizing the difference. Still a great guitar, but side by side with the American model is really no comparison.

So I'm set. Unless, of course, I hit the lottery. Then it's a PRS dragon model or a Parker Fly. Or both. :hihi:

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

nix808 wrote:I think it would be nice.
The only drawback I guess is resale as it's not Gibson branded.
drawback?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”