Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

True, but places have killer deals sometimes when you least expect it. I've got a couple of guitars that fit into that category.

Truck stop sushi never appealed to me.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Thanks for the reminder.

Moore Music Guitars has 25% off all guitars for BF.
They have some nice higher end guitars.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Xiangqi wrote:...hi mike, i will have to check out a pawn shop or 3 and see what's up...
.....and?
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

i'll have to go to some pawn shops and look around. as it is, i've only made it as far as used gear shopping on ebay and reverb. methinks a lot of the used gear on reverb is overpriced. ymmv. ebay seems better from here though.

Reverb attracts both connoisseur sellers and buyers. Many sellers on reverb were sellers on ebay and don't look back leaving ebay. I've read more accounts of reputable sellers getting burned on ebay then buyers.

Pawn shops are less inclined to use ebay as well. It's just to much work listing and they usually don't have the knowledge to adequately present the product. Pawn shops are the homes of broken dreams. Sometimes it's stolen and sometimes it's just someone really hard up for cash who is willing to take dime on the dollar. Whereas many guitar stores that sell used will only sell on commission. It provides a safety for sellers getting a higher dollar then otherwise without the hassle. You do have to know your way around guitars as far as condition when dealing with a pawn shop. They aren't going to do a setup and they won't tell you what's wrong with something.

pawn shops definitely sounds like they're worth checking out. also, estate sales to some extent.

mike, methinks you're right that the seller experience on reverb is better overall than ebay.

also, i was checking on inexpensive guitars on reverb, and found a lot of great deals.

it just seems like for certain pieces of gear, reverb is the most expensive compared to ebay and amazon.

I agree. The one thing about rich buyers is they will pay more because they think the most expensive is by default the best. They have the money and therefore they'll drive up the prices. Some sellers know how to capitalize on this. I've seen items that are very expensive which haven't moved in years on Reverb simply because the seller is willing to wait for the right gullible buyer.

The one thing I've noticed about amazon.... B stock and really bad B-stock tends to appear more times then not. Poor setup, chipped paint and sometimes bad electronics. Sure you can send it back but why bother going through all that hassle. I've had some B-stock that if it weren't for the seller explaining the fault I'd have never noticed and other items that shouldn't have even been considered B-stock more like D stock wind up at my door. Those are the "too good to be true" deals I see on amazon and why I won't buy musical gear from amazon anymore.

re: EBay - I've had terrific luck buying items on EBay & just awful luck selling. I don't sell anything there any longer. period.
I have no hesitation buying quality products from experienced sellers. Guitars, mics, my Focal monitors, Novation RemoteSL keys, among others.
I don't trust anything to do with CraigsList
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

That makes sense.

You are better off taking a guitar to GC and doing a street buy than selling on ebay. At least what you little you get you aren't going to have to worry about a return.

one thing about amazon. now, here's a theory... if the item is 'amazon prime' there's a good chance that it's b-stock, and has been sitting around their warehouse.

if it's not prime, then it comes direct from the seller.

it's just that, in purchasing a couple of 'prime' guitars, they do seem like they've been sitting around a warehouse... not properly set up, missing parts, etc.

also, if the warehouse is in the same state as you, 'prime' orders tend to charge sales tax. it seems that way, anyway. 'prime' stuff always seems to have sales tax on it. maybe it matters _which_ warehouse... the one in your state, or the one in another state. but it seems like 'prime' stuff is already in amazon's inventory.

i've had good luck selling on reverb. put out some great deals, and checked the 'as-is' box.

guitar center? it definitely is a way to unload gear, fast and very low-hassle. but it seems i invariably walk out spending more money, and having some piece(s) of new gear....

I didn't work for GC but I worked for MARs and Daddy's Junky Music as well as a mom and pop store (well they had 4 stores) where I bought a lot of used gear...you never get a good deal. Rule of thumb, expect to get about 40% of what you might expect to see it used for on a trade and likely less on a straight sale
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Xiangqi wrote: guitar center? it definitely is a way to unload gear, fast and very low-hassle. but it seems i invariably walk out spending more money, and having some piece(s) of new gear....
It's a tough call because if you get a major shyster, they'll low ball you so hard you'll want to punch them. But most of the time when you consider the hassle of shipping, time and that paypal can still offer a troll a refund (and you get a f...ed up POS back) it can be an option.

I always forget about Reverb. I should trawl that place more, seems they have a pretty good rep.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”