M-Audio Venom Analog Modeling Synthesizer

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I agree 100 %

I have heard some people saying the factory sounds are no good but really, I wonder what they actually want from a VA synth

There are some classic saw leads, keys, leads, some great transistors organs, beefy basses etc.

So far apart from some extra presets from venomsynth,com ( some that beef up the existing patches) I see no need for extra 3rd party presets.

And so far have not heard any that bring anything better than what is already programmed.

I am have much better results making copies of the existing sounds and making my own edits. What better way to learn a synth?

thanoskvr wrote: I agree with frank3si there that quite a lot of programming has gone in those presets and I'm reluctant to overwrite them yet. They really should have included a couple more empty Banks for user presets though.

For me I think the included presets are TOO complex. I like to start with simple things and build up the complexity myself.
I didn't get anywhere with the Venom until I made a few presets with no modulation and simple assignments to use as "default" starting points.

There is a very helpful review of venom and an interview with Taiho Yamada on matrixsynth...

M-Audio Venom Review and Interview with Product Manager Taiho Yamada
http://m.matrixsynth.com/2011/03/m-audi ... h.html?m=1

"A quick note: This review is long. You can jump to sections that interest you vs. reading it straight through if you prefer. This review focuses primarily on the synth engine for one single patch on the Venom."

I came across that myself, Mike. I think it's interesting that, not only in that review but a number of others I discovered while researching my Venom purchase, Taiho Yamada had personally provided input and detailed information. There seems to be a real pride of development. Even though we don't have a fully-realized editor (yet, right mkdr?) and a number of circumstances led to this synth being dropped from production and dumped into our hands at reduced prices, it seems to have been created with the intention of building a very significant instrument...

secretkillerofnames wrote:For me I think the included presets are TOO complex. I like to start with simple things and build up the complexity myself.
I didn't get anywhere with the Venom until I made a few presets with no modulation and simple assignments to use as "default" starting points.
I agree.

That's always going to be a matter of personal taste as well as musical and production style. Always, as with any synth, I like to have options and as many sounds as possible. (ofcourse!)

I can always find usable sounds either from original presets or third party or make my own. So far I have liked the third party much better because it fits my taste and they have been definitely less harsh. Its made the investment just more worth-while but yes, im a preset junkie.

Whats great is there already is no lack of good sounds available. Hey hey, So lets make music!
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

I am discovering some quirks to using it inside Ableton and receiving transpose messages when i dont want it to, or failing to respond to midi after a change on another separate track. Has to have the preset turned to something else, then back to your sound you picked to return to normal note range. Trying to investigate further on the cause if this. Playing around with the Venom Control Max4live editor too. It has some bugs too.

Can't really complain for the price and for the record, I love the patches on the venom and was looking for a synth that could get gritty and nasty with ease. I didn't want a tame VA. I have enough of those. I wanted one that could easily get ripping bass lines and modulated leads. Venom is clearly capable of more lush, smooth sounding analogish sounds, just take a look at patch Adamz presets he has for sale, but that's not why I bought the venom. As a standalone synth with vysex editor, I have not encountered very many quirks. This synth has a lot of character and the arpeggio patterns included aren't very traditional and offer some cool possibilities.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Speaking of patches, in case some have not poked around the M-Audio site, there is a patch list available here:

http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/ma ... 20List.pdf

mikebenson wrote:There is a very helpful review of venom and an interview with Taiho Yamada on matrixsynth...

M-Audio Venom Review and Interview with Product Manager Taiho Yamada
http://m.matrixsynth.com/2011/03/m-audi ... h.html?m=1
Thanks for that, sir!

frank3si wrote:Speaking of patches, in case some have not poked around the M-Audio site, there is a patch list available here:

Thank you, very useful. These aren't mentioned in the manual.

That said, imo there's way too much emphasis on the multis. Maybe it's just me but what on earth are we supposed to use for? I know pretty much every hardware synth and Rompler have those included but on the Venom, many of them sound like full tracks. It's probably good for showcasing the synth in some ways, but honestly I would have preferred additional single patches instead of these. To me they are pointless. :roll: But maybe it's just because I do a certain type of music that sounds nothing like those multis.

I agree, K-Bee - I would much have preferred the ability to keep all the factory presets active, with space for an equal number of user presets available...

But as they say, it is what it is...

How long for the editor Mr.Mkdr? :pray: :hail:

K-Bee wrote:
frank3si wrote:Speaking of patches, in case some have not poked around the M-Audio site, there is a patch list available here:

Thank you, very useful. These aren't mentioned in the manual.

That said, imo there's way too much emphasis on the multis. Maybe it's just me but what on earth are we supposed to use for? I know pretty much every hardware synth and Rompler have those included but on the Venom, many of them sound like full tracks. It's probably good for showcasing the synth in some ways, but honestly I would have preferred additional single patches instead of these. To me they are pointless. :roll: But maybe it's just because I do a certain type of music that sounds nothing like those multis.
You can edit the multi's. I love the multi's. they can get a few tweaks and sit good in my mixes if I use the ones that have less pop dance sounding beats, but then I am mixing dubstep, downbeat, industrial too. That's why I live Venom. It has good potential for a lot of stuff to me and I dont have to try and make it sound like another synth even though it can. Once I start a patch with init settings and start playing around with waveforms, it starts to show me the potential for getting smooth or downright nasty. The arpeggios just give some good movement I wouldn't have thought possible with just a single sound and my key playing. Some real rhythmic presets there.

I just got done messing around with my Roland SH-32 today though. Between that and Venom, I got a whole lot covered by hardware needs. Wish the Venom would have been laid out like the SH-32 with a huge number of controls right at your fingers.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundclick Wormhelmet

i've constructed my own multi's to use in live performance. It works quite well once you work out splitting the ranges in the Vyzex editor. It is annoying that to put up with an entire bank of multi's that can't be overwritten.

Yeah, for live use and for certain electronic music styles like dubstep, I can see why the multis are relevant. I don't deal with any of that stuff though. My approach is rather old fashion with lots of real time recording, verses and chorus and the likes :wink:
That's all I know :hihi:

K-Bee wrote:Yeah, for live use and for certain electronic music styles like dubstep, I can see why the multis are relevant. I don't deal with any of that stuff though. My approach is rather old fashion with lots of real time recording, verses and chorus and the likes :wink:
That's all I know :hihi:
You'd be a prime candidate for Patch Adamz classic patches for the venom then! They sound really good and can give the venom some sounds that are rather warm and lush and not so gritty and new school.

Amazing what potential there is if you dig into it further than just the included banks, even though I like em and all. quite a few give me a really good starting point for quick creations even though I like to get an init sound first and just start sculpting for more fun.

:hihi:
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”