M-Audio Venom Analog Modeling Synthesizer

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Whats the best UK price anyones found so far?

Take some single patches you like, ie the organs, the synth brass prophet pads, the classic moog basses etc.

Make copies and replace the lower multis with layers of those sounds using the editor.

Make your synth personal, it will be ongoing and might not be instant but I'm sure you will learn much and get way more satisfaction
Than buying 3rd party presets.

K-Bee wrote:Yeah, for live use and for certain electronic music styles like dubstep, I can see why the multis are relevant. I don't deal with any of that stuff though. My approach is rather old fashion with lots of real time recording, verses and chorus and the likes :wink:
That's all I know :hihi:

Hi Dave:-) forget uk.

Thomann is cheapest. About £170 delivered if you add something cheap to take over 200 EU. Sustain pedal etc.

Kriminal wrote:Whats the best UK price anyones found so far?

Kriminal wrote:Whats the best UK price anyones found so far?
My best 'UK' price was to import it from Thomann in Germany!

http://www.thomann.de/gb/m-audio_venom.htm £174.58 shipped! But free shipping over 199 Eur(Venom is 198 Eur!!!), so maybe throw in something else.

the also have 1 reduced B-stock atm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/maudio_venom_bstock.htm

They accept paypal and ship fast...

thanks chaps. Its not something im really after, but if its dirt cheap i might be tempted (and the editor looks really good too)

i went into PMT last w-end to demo some stuff but they havent got a Venom in. I tried the MX61 which sounds good but the splits are not good enough, and the staff wouldnt plug in the X50 :roll:

anyway, i'll see at the end of the month if they get one in to try, then i might grab it from Thomman if i ilke it (the low polyphony puts me off tho)

I'm so stoked to hear there is finally gonna be a vst for the Venom! :)

Ever since I bought my Venom synth (my first hardware synth btw) I have been very frustrated and disappointed with the garbage Vyzex editor, and have subsequently just been using it as midi keyboard for my soft synths, not good!

I was actually planning on selling the Venom and getting something else when I stumbled upon this thread, glad i waited as it looks like the Venoms potential is finally about to be realized!

And judging by the vst that mkdr made for the mopho, I have every faith that the Venom vst is gonna be just as good! :love:

d-s-m wrote: I have been very frustrated and disappointed with the garbage Vyzex editor
really? whats wrong with it?

Kriminal wrote:i went into PMT last w-end
My Wife did the same - Yeah I know PMT in Norwich! :lol: :hihi:

There is probably a huge user base after more presets now, so could pay for itself maybe?

Kriminal wrote:
d-s-m wrote: I have been very frustrated and disappointed with the garbage Vyzex editor
For me, it doesn't hold on to the midi in/outs, constantly have to reset them and it's over USB??!!,
and overall - just a bit buggy sometimes, wanting Mkdr's vst editor myself.

Kriminal wrote:
Takes way too long to load, it freezes, it crashes, saving presets is a pita, doesnt work as a vst.....etc. just a terrible piece of software really.

Hmmm, thats put me off a bit :?

Kriminal wrote:Hmmm, thats put me off a bit :?
It seems useful for loading and saving singles, not great for layered
sounds, the developer seems to have dropped support on it.
The developers forum seems to show some user issues.
This is likely part of the reasons for the price drop.

There is always a reason for BIG price drops.

Wormhelmet wrote:
K-Bee wrote:Yeah, for live use and for certain electronic music styles like dubstep, I can see why the multis are relevant. I don't deal with any of that stuff though. My approach is rather old fashion with lots of real time recording, verses and chorus and the likes :wink:
That's all I know :hihi:
You'd be a prime candidate for Patch Adamz classic patches for the venom then! They sound really good and can give the venom some sounds that are rather warm and lush and not so gritty and new school.

Amazing what potential there is if you dig into it further than just the included banks, even though I like em and all. quite a few give me a really good starting point for quick creations even though I like to get an init sound first and just start sculpting for more fun.

:hihi:
Agreed, these are exceptional presets and show the warmer side of Venom.
To me the factory presets were just too scratch, gritty.
I prefer the vintage characteristics of "Sonic Boost" and have heard
many say the same.

While the factory presets are OK, I would have have just used Venom as a
controller as they just don't appeal to my taste.
The add-ons just make it a better investment.
But I have always been a bit of a fan of the "vintage" synthesizer.

Kriminal wrote:Hmmm, thats put me off a bit :?
I find when I boot up the editor it looses the midi in/out, I have to cancel what it does and re-assign the 'venom synth in' and 'venom synth out', then it takes about 1 minute to load up the banks. It's annoying why it doesn't hold the settings in a rock solid/stable way.

I don't have lock up or freezes though, just sometimes the editor knocks out the venom sound and I have to soft-reset the hardware, then I have to reboot the editor, this is usually when I'm loading different banks I get this issue.

The editor is not that bad, but it's also not that good. hence everyone wanting Mkdr's VST editor, his Mopho'ed is rock solid - so I have my faith in Mkdr to do a good job on venom'ed VST.

Soundwise the Venom is superb(Analog with a digital crunch type sound), although the resonance on high settings seems to whistle, not in a nice way sometimes.

Overall I'm happy with it - I sold my Ultranova(with it's ultra stable rock solid VST editor) and Miniak after getting Venom.

The bonus to buying Venom for $200 = kick ass VA with multimode and cool arpeggiators, lots of modulation options, good waveforms, etc

The bad part is someone decided to put a shitty reverb in then put it all over the damn presets! Luckily that can be remedied.
Buggy editor was built and I don't believe they actually tested much real time use in other than standalone mode. Routing midi through a DAW track can get weird effects if you edit the patch in the vysex editor. Same behavior with the max4live editor.

Honestly, to me the benefits far outweigh the quirks to it and we have an editor being built that could be accessible to all of us to use this as a vsti.

If I paid $600 for it, I would have been pissed off at the quirks more, but can't seem to gripe much about it at current price point.

Even shittier for me is that I now want to get something like a JP 8080 or Virus B or C or a Nord Rack 2x just so I have some real knobs to fiddle with if I could make a good controller with about 50 knobs for editing I would, but I'm not so good with that type of thing. I did see that someone made their own wood side paneled tabletop housing for the venom guts. I would happily pay the extra I saved to get the same and have all controls accessible to my fingers....
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”