M-Audio Venom Analog Modeling Synthesizer

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote:
Kriminal wrote:I didnt know it was an audio interface too :oops:
rtfm!

:hihi:
All ive done so far is plug it in and go thru presets. Ive been learning new songs so didnt want to get distracted. Start getting into it next week programming sounds.

Wormhelmet wrote:
PatchAdamz wrote:Well, we all saved hundreds, I can deal with the current situation.

Most of us would have not purchased Venom had it not been so affordable.

So far its the deal of the year. :)
That's it for me. Saw KVR thread, looked at Amazon price. Done deal. I didn't even know I needed a wicked little VA hardware synth with USB audio/midi interface bonus!

Fortune presents gifts not according to the book

:D
Same for me except I got it from Sweetwater.

Quick and easy...

made and stored my first preset :party:

:hihi:

few questions:

1. do the FX work in VenomEd? Cant seem to get any sound from them

2. i DL some free presets from the net, cant load them into VenomEd?

they are .Sgl files, i noticed the presets i saved are .txt files.

thanks

Dave

EDIT: my set up -

Edirol UA-20 > USB into PC
Edirol UA-20 > MIDI in/out Venom
Venom > usb into PC

green button > Venom In (should it be synth or midi)
green button > Venom Out (should it be synth or midi)

Host > Orion

so i can easily make and save patches from an init patch, and they load fine and i can save them to Venom Bank D. Cant seem to load the free patches i found. Not a big deal, just curious as to what they sound like.

i also have the rick bonnin set.sqs, cant load that either...?

The .sgl files et al need to be loaded using Vyzex. Remember that most of the presets you find out there predate Venom-Ed and that Venom-Ed uses sysex to store the files.

You can however load both Vyzex and Venom-Ed at the same time and transfer presets to the Venom using Vyzex and then transfer them from the Venom to Venom-Ed in order to store them if you so desire.

The FX do work in Venom-Ed - at least some of them definitely do - but the effects are sometimes so subtle that you can't help wondering if they're not working. Don't forget to use the Aux1 and Aux2 knobs to send the signal to the effects - otherwise you won't hear anything!

Also, if you haven't bought the editor to disable the time limit, you can tweak parameters to your heart's delight once the demo period is over without them having any effect. I found myself doing this all the time and wondering why nothing was happening - the demo period is simply extremely short.

Kriminal wrote:few questions:

thanks

Dave

Venom > usb into PC

Host > Orion

so i can easily make and save patches from an init patch, and they load fine and i can save them to Venom Bank D. Cant seem to load the free patches i found. Not a big deal, just curious as to what they sound like.

You should use Venom 'Synth In/Out' in the Venom'ed and disable any host you use from using them same ports.

The 'venom midi in/out' is only for connecting more hardware, i.e. this is used as the midi interface for my Mopho, I choose 'Venom Midi In/Out' in Mopho'ed VST.

You will need to use Vyzex to use them old banks, if you do - please tell me how to save them banks to the hardware? I'd like to know.

The FX work for me in Venom'Ed.
Last edited by breakmixer on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sjm wrote:The .sgl files et al need to be loaded using Vyzex. Remember that most of the presets you find out there predate Venom-Ed and that Venom-Ed uses sysex to store the files.

You can however load both Vyzex and Venom-Ed at the same time and transfer presets to the Venom using Vyzex and then transfer them from the Venom to Venom-Ed in order to store them if you so desire.
ah yes, forgot about that, i havent installed the Vyzex yet, its on the CD (i just download latest drivers from m-audio site along with firmware update)
sjm wrote: The FX do work in Venom-Ed - at least some of them definitely do - but the effects are sometimes so subtle that you can't help wondering if they're not working. Don't forget to use the Aux1 and Aux2 knobs to send the signal to the effects - otherwise you won't hear anything!

Also, if you haven't bought the editor to disable the time limit, you can tweak parameters to your heart's delight once the demo period is over without them having any effect. I found myself doing this all the time and wondering why nothing was happening - the demo period is simply extremely short.
i bought it last friday. Its the AUX ones i was talking about, so i'll look again at those

thanks

breakmixer wrote:
Kriminal wrote:few questions:

thanks

Dave

Venom > usb into PC

Host > Orion

You should use Venom 'Synth In/Out' in the Venom'ed and disable any host you use from using them same ports.

The 'venom midi in/out' is only for connecting more hardware, i.e. this is used as the midi interface for my Mopho, I choose 'Venom Midi In/Out' in Mopho'ed VST.

You will need to use Vyzex to use them old banks, if you do - please tell me how to save them banks to the hardware? I'd like to know.

The FX work for me in Venom'Ed.
ok thanks, swithced that and selected UA20 in my host (its not selected in image but i did select it :wink: )

It does get confusing because the Venom Synthesizer can double up as an audio/midi interface too and you can stream the audio straight from the synth over usb to your daw as well as incoming audio from other synth/synths if using a mixer(in my case just the mopho).

I use however Fast Track Pro still so am streaming the Venom(+ Mopho into Venom)audio over cables into my mixer then into FTP.

I think I could do away with my FTP but don't feel the need.

breakmixer wrote:It does get confusing because the Venom Synthesizer can double up as an audio/midi interface too and you can stream the audio straight from the synth over usb to your daw as well as incoming audio from other synth/synths if using a mixer(in my case just the mopho).

I use however Fast Track Pro still so am streaming the Venom(+ Mopho into Venom)audio over cables into my mixer then into Fast Track Pro.

To do this you would need to go into you PC's control panel and select playback and record devices of the Venom instead of your Edirol UA-20!

breakmixer wrote:
breakmixer wrote:It does get confusing because the Venom Synthesizer can double up as an audio/midi interface too and you can stream the audio straight from the synth over usb to your daw as well as incoming audio from other synth/synths if using a mixer(in my case just the mopho).

I use however Fast Track Pro still so am streaming the Venom(+ Mopho into Venom)audio over cables into my mixer then into Fast Track Pro.

To do this you would need to go into you PC's control panel and select playback and record devices of the Venom instead of your Edirol UA-20!
so i can unplug the usb soundcard/midi leads, and just use the venom usb?

hmm, its all gone tits up now, the only sound i can get is from the one patch i saved.... :cry:

Kriminal wrote:hmm, its all gone tits up now, the only sound i can get is from the one patch i saved.... :cry:
Factory reset - hold multi and single buttons down while powering on.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Interesting about the text file patch saves. VenomControl uses this also. That's the Max for Live Venom Editor. That one comes with several banks besides the factory ones all in text file. I'll have to check later if they are compatible.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Kriminal wrote:hmm, its all gone tits up now, the only sound i can get is from the one patch i saved.... :cry:
Oh dear, soft reset is turn off, hold down 2 x octave buttons on Venom whilst turning venom back on.

You do not need midi leads going into your ua-20, just usb from venom to pc. the audio should be streamed into your UA-20 if you are using your UA-20 as your playback/recording device, if not you can do away with the UA-20 and stream the audio direct over the same usb to your pc using venom as you recording/playback device.

It does get confusing which is why I kept my fast track pro.

Hope you get it running again!

:-o

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”