Ready for my first analog synth - Suggestions?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nig wrote:
JimmiG wrote:I have the MFB Synth II (one of their earlier synths) and I really like it. The filter sounds a bit shrill, but the oscillators (3x VCO's) sound great and the synth has tons of features for the price (FM, Oscillator sync, 2 env's, 2 LFOs with 1-shot mode, 2 ring modulators, AM, Filter FM, PWM etc. etc.).

The Slim Phatty would be a good option, especially since you've already played it and know you like it.

The newly released EOWave Domino is something I've been thinking about getting. I liked the raw, distorted sound in the demo videos. It's cheap, too at only €289 here.

The Tetra will give you a lot of synthesizer for the money (4-voices polyphony where as almost all other analog synths in the price range are monophonic) but the tradeoff is that you can't do much tweaking from the front panel.
Neary bit the bullet on the Slim Phatty a few time recently but held off because I didn't want to get it and hear about something else soon after (that will probably happen no matter what though :hihi:)

It's the lack of tweakability on the Tetra that puts me off it really.
I've got a Slim Phatty and I think it would be a great first synth, but as others mentioned it's limited. That's OK though. It can be easily extended with effects and I've already put a Cluster Flux (Moog modulation pedal) and, of course when that doesn't do the trick there are a multitude of software effects that do nicely. Also, simple is often the best. There is something nice about forcing your notes to be the most creative part of your music.

However, if you can swing the cash for a MoPho keyboard, I'd go that route instead. It's more versatile with a lot of modulation options. In a sense, I like it's sound better. The oscs are brighter than the Moog's and with the feedback it can really scream. Also, it's oscs are digitally controlled so they maintain constant tune. The Moog will drift especially during the warm up period.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Thanks for all the suggestions people. Been doing a lot of searching and it is very hard to find videos of people not pointlessly doodling on the synths, this probably is a lot of fun when actually doing it though.

Ya I heard that the dark energy is being discontinued, actually made me want it a bit more when I heard that :) I found some nice videos here showing it off

A review from sonic state:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLs6XQxO ... r_embedded

Some guy made a few tracks here
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2009/ ... rk-energy/

Some good videos around for the SP too.

The Dominion X looks like a lot for the money, only 2 videos on YouTube for this so far but some nice audio demos on their Soundcloud page
http://soundcloud.com/mfb-instruments

Found a few good videos for the Telemark too, looks great but don't know would I get as much use out of it as some others mentioned here.

Right now I'm thinking I may just hold off 3 or 4 weeks (if I can resist) and see how much more I can get together. May even sell some plugins that I've been thinking about for a while. I may go for the Dominion I think. With all the filter modes and 3 oscillators I think it could do a lot, does anybody know when this gets released?

I will go to try out the Minitaur when it comes out though and see how it clicks with me. Starting to wonder too if can get enough saved would it be a good idea to get both Minitaur (or SP) and a Dark Energy.
Deep N' Dusty House Grooves !!!
Artist: http://soundcloud.com/nigel
Label: http://soundcloud.com/diplopiarecords

Nig wrote:I may go for the Dominion I think. With all the filter modes and 3 oscillators I think it could do a lot, does anybody know when this gets released?
It's what I wanted to get as well but they have sold out the first batch. I've been told the next one is due mid-March. The only issue I see with Dominion is its size. It is really small, and the knobs are a bit too close together. It's not perfect, but I suppose having that specification, plus the sound which ain't half bad, would compensate for that (mind you, Dominion was originally designed with a Schippmann filter :-o , but in the end it didn't happen. Still, they say that the MFB filter in Dominion is of a new improved design, different to all previous MFB filters).
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

remember that u-he Diva exists now! better than any VA i have owned..

ford442 wrote:remember that u-he Diva exists now! better than any VA i have owned..
I'd actually take DIVA over half the analogs mentioned in this thread.

whereupon...(i'll read thread later)

why not just get a sh101? some people will say it's a
pony fake analog, but it is ace, and has a sequencer,
and you won't immediately be able to connect it to MIDI.
which will force you to think about cv+gate and stuff like
that. when you have it in the room i doubt any plugin will
really give you the same feeling.

it is within your budget. forget those superexpensive ads
for these, you can get them at the right price. (but not 150quid
anymore) and it's a great context-starter for analog.

or else... you could find a korg monopoly. that is a special synth.
or a polysix. none of these are midi. you get the benefit of great
80s design. but the modern analogs are great too, and you get midi
and everything. that's the real choice. you can't have enough analog
really, so jump in.(dark energy looks pretty nice too!- i love all
this sh#t, man... :D ) ( and there's the big question about patch-only
stuff, and things that have patch memories etc etc)

mztk wrote:why not just get a sh101? some people will say it's a
pony fake analog, but it is ace, and has a sequencer,
and you won't immediately be able to connect it to MIDI.
which will force you to think about cv+gate and stuff like
that. when you have it in the room i doubt any plugin will
really give you the same feeling.
Personally and completely IMHO only, I'd take DIVA over it.

It's funny, I was never a fan of the SH-101 myself yet I love a lot of the SH-101 presets in Omnisphere.

i have a 101 and it sounds like crap compared to Diva - SH-101 is very retro - it makes you sound like a band from the 70's i think.. Diva is warm and rich and versatile.. i would pay $400 for Diva before i'd buy another 101..

ford442 wrote:i have a 101 and it sounds like crap compared to Diva - SH-101 is very retro - it makes you sound like a band from the 70's i think.. Diva is warm and rich and versatile.. i would pay $400 for Diva before i'd buy another 101..
Those bands of the 70's had seen the future :D

ford442 wrote:i have a 101 and it sounds like crap compared to Diva - SH-101 is very retro - it makes you sound like a band from the 70's i think.. Diva is warm and rich and versatile.. i would pay $400 for Diva before i'd buy another 101..
It sounds like crap compared to Diva in what parallel universe? I have an SH-101 and I'll just say this: NO.

Anyway, Dominion X is the best choice for the price range.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

Uncle E wrote:
breakmixer wrote:Cheers, yeah that demo of the SH-09 has a kind of Man Parrish/Kraftwerk kinda vibe to it
Man Parrish used to be a customer of mine. Great guy! He was really into the sound of the Scope synths at that time. Anyway, the SH-09 is awesome and the SH-2 is even better. :)
Yeah, Man Parrish even replied to an email from me about how he created his electro toms on 'Hip Hop Be bop', seemingly he used the Prophet 5 to create them, so very friendly bloke...

Do you mean Sonic Core Scope, I own the Plugiator with Minimax, Pro-12 and Proddesey etc(all 8 plugins), they are the same sounding synths? Love the sound but the VST's are buggy, have to use the Cubase preset browser to call up the patches on the UI, otherwise the UI doesn't reflect the patch if you use the Plugiators preset selector, also a loud buzzing on the VST sometimes(which I have a workaround for), Use-Audio are not further developing/updating the VST's for Plugiator. Great Sound but a PITA to use, also sometimes when I rewind cubase to the track start the preset skips(some sort of program change glitch)...shame, is a great bit of kit still...

I'm not feeling all the buzz around DIVA though, tried the beta and the demo, yes it's good, but not totally convinced of it's '100%' analogue sound, I compared it to OP-X pro II and it doesn't seem worlds apart soundwise to that synth(I like my OP-X Pro II btw). However I would say it is one of the best VA VST's along with Synthix/OP-X etc. Just didn't 'to me' blow the competition right out of the water.

Maybe one day if I do get a real analogue(never owned one), I may appreciate the virtual analogues more, but it seems I need to own one to truly find this out...

for me it Minbrute v's Mopho Keyboard... :D

T-CM11 wrote:Those bands of the 70's had seen the future :D
Funny!

It's like that M1 Deep Purple used on their first album. ;)

Shy wrote:It sounds like crap compared to Diva in what parallel universe? I have an SH-101 and I'll just say this: NO.
IYO
Anyway, Dominion X is the best choice for the price range.
IYO

:shock:

breakmixer wrote:Do you mean Sonic Core Scope, I own the Plugiator with Minimax, Pro-12 and Proddesey etc(all 8 plugins), they are the same sounding synths?
Yes, those are the same synths as in Scope. The three you mentioned are the best of them and still my favorite VSTi's. :)
Love the sound but the VST's are buggy, have to use the Cubase preset browser to call up the patches on the UI, otherwise the UI doesn't reflect the patch if you use the Plugiators preset selector
It's a shame. I had the same experience with the Plugiator. Scope works perfectly for me.
I'm not feeling all the buzz around DIVA though, tried the beta and the demo, yes it's good, but not totally convinced of it's '100%' analogue sound
I still prefer the Minimax for Minimoog-style leads and basses and the Pro-12 for Prophet/Jupiter-style leads and pads. Where DIVA blows me away is its MS20 oscillators through the MS20 or Minimoog filters. I've never gotten that brown MS20 sound out of ANYTHING, not even other analogs, other than DIVA or the real thing.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”