KORG to re-release the MS-20!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wormhelmet wrote:
Ingonator wrote:
Wormhelmet wrote:I completely fail to see what the big deal is about a digitally stabilized oscillator other than your oscillator drift not happening which is really a big deal. Are there analog purists that will whine over this or something? Go buy the old one if you don't like it.

:roll:
Ass i already tried to explain in my last post it seems to work with an auto-tuning circuit like in the Monotribe. AFAIK this is only used while no note is played.
When playing it should be able to drift normally.

Ingo
Oh man, that response could have had a whole new meaning if you put a period after the word "Ass".

:lol:
A typo which i just corrected. :oops:

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

That's even betterer now if it corrects off-use. I want one still.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Not sure why Korg would put digital stuff in the VCOs...MS20 VCOs were and are famously stable. There's almost no drift anyway. I've never had to retune mine since I bought it, and I've had it since 1991. That's 18 years, and it's travelled across the world with me. I used to have a studio in my dark damp cellar and it still never suffered. MS10s were awful for tuning though (sold mine because it went out of tune within 15 minutes of turning on) - but if they're using the same VCOs, tuning and stability was never an issue for 20s.

I'm still happy they're releasing new ones though - I suspect they'll sound slightly different (there were different versions of the MS20 apparently - not sure which mine is) but either way - I'll have no problem chaining two MS20s through each other. I've already got a very good midi/CV converter (one of those old Kenton multichannel jobbies with tons of aux outputs) so I could patch one through the other and automate them both differently with filters and envelopes etc. Sweet audio heaven I imagine...

its actually 21/22 years. but who's quibbling?

vurt wrote:its actually 21/22 years. but who's quibbling?
Good point. Not sure where my maths went tonight...

...although I just realised that means I'm 3 years older than I thought. :scared:

Otherwise, I'm interested in what people think when comparing the MS 20 mini to the new Moog Sub Phatty, in particular the sound of the filters. Obviously, the MS 20 has an iconic sound, but the Sub Phatty has more grit than other Moog models. I'm kind of torn between the two, and I'm tempted to sell some stuff to pick up one or the other.
Unless Moog have changed drastically very recently, there's no comparison between Korg MS filters and Moog filters. They really are quite different. Personally I don't much like Moog filters, although I readily admit that they are full of character. Personally I wouldn't be using Moogs and MS20s for the same type of sound simply because the filters are so different. Outside of the bread and butter stuff, (generalisation here) you tend to use Moogs for big basses or quite squelchy sounds, whereas MS20s push you into extreme screaming territory - often quite rasping and harsh sounds.

Sorry to say - if you're torn betwen the two, it means you like both different type of sounds and you're going to have to save up and buy both. :P

kritikon wrote:
Otherwise, I'm interested in what people think when comparing the MS 20 mini to the new Moog Sub Phatty, in particular the sound of the filters. Obviously, the MS 20 has an iconic sound, but the Sub Phatty has more grit than other Moog models. I'm kind of torn between the two, and I'm tempted to sell some stuff to pick up one or the other.
Unless Moog have changed drastically very recently, there's no comparison between Korg MS filters and Moog filters. They really are quite different. Personally I don't much like Moog filters, although I readily admit that they are full of character. Personally I wouldn't be using Moogs and MS20s for the same type of sound simply because the filters are so different. Outside of the bread and butter stuff, (generalisation here) you tend to use Moogs for big basses or quite squelchy sounds, whereas MS20s push you into extreme screaming territory - often quite rasping and harsh sounds.

Sorry to say - if you're torn betwen the two, it means you like both different type of sounds and you're going to have to save up and buy both. :P
Haha, you might be right. The thing is, I don't think I've ever heard a sound I didn't like, just sounds that needed to be differently contextualized.

Yeah, this actually sounds like a good feature. It would be like hitting the Tune button on the old Prophets/Jupiters, etc. when notes aren't playing. As some have said, maybe not necessary on an MS20 (because the oscillators on these were very stable to begin with) but probably not a bad idea to have anyway. A long time ago when I had my Jupiter and my Prophets I used to send tune commands at various points in my tracks (e.g. several bars before the notes began) just to make sure it was in tune when it began to play. On these newer synths (someone mentioned the Moog) one no longer needs to worry about that. So that's fine by me. :)

Ingonator wrote:
Wormhelmet wrote:I completely fail to see what the big deal is about a digitally stabilized oscillator other than your oscillator drift not happening which is really a big deal. Are there analog purists that will whine over this or something? Go buy the old one if you don't like it.

:roll:
As i already tried to explain in my last post it seems to work with an auto-tuning circuit like in the Monotribe. AFAIK this is only used while no note is played.
When playing it should be able to drift normally.

Ingo
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Wormhelmet wrote:That's even betterer now if it corrects off-use. I want one still.
Definitely! This and a Minibrute for starters.

does it work as a midi controller? do the knobs send midi? (like the ms20v controller?)
that would make it absolutely a no brainer . a killer midi controller + a killer analog synth for 600$ . would be superb.
37 keys + 32 kobs.perfect
if they built up the full hardware without adding midi sensosrs to the controls (would cost 15$ extra dollars to do) that would be really retarded and a missed opportunity.
i undertsand the synth itself does not respond to midi and that's fine with me....but no reason why the hardware they built in 2013 should not send out midi messages.

in terms of moog vs korg debate....there's really no comparison.
the lp24 'of the moog is more appropriate for shaping (if not for anything because of the steeper slope) the korg 12db filter better for tearing up sustained sounds. ideally u should have both.

olikana wrote:does it work as a midi controller? do the knobs send midi? (like the ms20v controller?)
that would make it absolutely a no brainer . a killer midi controller + a killer analog synth for 600$ . would be superb.
37 keys + 32 kobs.perfect
if they built up the full hardware without adding midi sensosrs to the controls (would cost 15$ extra dollars to do) that would be really retarded and a missed opportunity.
i undertsand the synth itself does not respond to midi and that's fine with me....but no reason why the hardware they built in 2013 should not send out midi messages.

Good question and yeah, a missed opportunity. But for $599 I'm thinking that the extra $15 might have been shaving it too close, so I'm guessing probably not. Anyone know?

olikana wrote:i undertsand the synth itself does not respond to midi
It does, it has MIDI IN and MIDI over USB as well.

olikana wrote:(would cost 15$ extra dollars to do)
nope. And adding MIDI CC Out functionality for all knobs would not be simple at all.

olikana wrote: if they built up the full hardware without adding midi sensosrs to the controls (would cost 15$ extra dollars to do) that would be really retarded and a missed opportunity.
15 dollars to add "MIDI sensors"? How do you come to that conclusion?

EvilDragon wrote:
olikana wrote:i undertsand the synth itself does not respond to midi
It does, it has MIDI IN and MIDI over USB as well.
but just for the pitch/keyboard. that obviously is a given.
what i meant the controls don't respond to midi ...and i'm fine with that.
urosh wrote:
olikana wrote: wrote:
(would cost 15$ extra dollars to do)
nope. And adding MIDI CC Out functionality for all knobs would not be simple at all.
don't make me laugh. 15$ is an over estimate. they even had all of the midi done for the ms20v controler allready! the arturia minilab sports 16 endless knobs and 8 pads...cost a total of 99$...how much u think they spent for the midi sensoring. not more than 10$. surely not more than the hardware.

and is not simple? they rebuilt a synth with all the circuits , they even implemented digital control for the oscillators and couldn't add midi to the hardware? it would have been super easy for them.
especially considering how much more desirable it would make it (don't they see how much the ms20v controller keeps selling for?), they shot themselfs in teh foot with this omission.

they defenetly have a lost sale from me.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”