BassBot TT303. Anybody have and/or used?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well I bought the Cyclone TT-303 today so iv'e been trying it out synced to the Analog Rytm. First annoying thing iv'e noticed is that the unit slides all over the desk cause it just has crappy plastic feet, that is a BIG minus. The unit sounds okay but there's not enough SQUELCH. It's still an okay machine though but be warned it's cheap and chatty and slides all over the place.

7/10

rob_lee wrote:Well I bought the Cyclone TT-303 today so iv'e been trying it out synced to the Analog Rytm. First annoying thing iv'e noticed is that the unit slides all over the desk cause it just has crappy plastic feet, that is a BIG minus. The unit sounds okay but there's not enough SQUELCH. It's still an okay machine though but be warned it's cheap and chatty and slides all over the place.

7/10
Rob, you need to give it the D.

Distortion that is :D

Failing that I believe the pots can be removed and adjusted for more squelch. I'm sure my wonderful TB advisor antto will be along soon and advise on this 8)

I love mine. It sits on my lap permanently at home. I need another two of them :oops:

One minor thing that does bug me OCD wise is when global LED colour is changed on the unit, the volume pot light remains red.

But my main gripe is not being able to edit the pattern while it's running.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

oh well..

rob_lee: what do you mean exactly with "squelch" ?
i've been reading for years about this "squelch" thing regarding 303s - i still don't have an exact idea what people mean when they use that word
perhaps, post a recording that demonstrates the "lack" of squelch and then a link to a track or video where this squelch is present

the bassbot is SMD so it's probably even lighter than a 303
a 303 usually has the batteries in it at all times, for keeping the memory alive, you probably don't have batteries in your bassbot which makes it even lighter
a possible solution is, to find rubber feet similar to those which come with the x0xb0x, they are like stickers, you can stick them on any device, and they give good grip... but i have no idea if they can be obtained from somewhere
[EDIT] seems they are obtainable if you knew the right words to search for: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... 4709&rt=c3

Mushy Mushy: there is a red light on the volume pot?! :shock:
about the other thing: seeing how long it takes for them to release a new FW version, where they also introduced mistakes thinking they fixed bugs (the gate length issue) - i'd advise you to nag them about the bugs and feature requests, perhaps together with the other bassbot owners, see if they'll even reply and what they'll say
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

antto wrote:oh well..

I mean when I turn up the resonance I can't hear that ear piercing sound I did when I had the original TB303 but maybe my ears are just not what they used to be. Other than that it sounds ok. This thing slides all over the desk though so i'm gonna have to find something to secure it or buy rubber feet (should have been standard) I won't be getting rid of it though as it's a pretty cool little box. I'll try it out more today.

PS

Where's the place you go to for the rubber feet?

Cheers

Mushy Mushy wrote:
7/10

[/quote]

Yes I'm looking at some Distortion units now Mushy :-)

Mushy Mushy wrote:

Yes I'm looking at some Distortion units now Mushy :-)

rob_lee wrote:Where's the place you go to for the rubber feet?
B&Q?

rob_lee wrote:Yes I'm looking at some Distortion units now Mushy :-)
Keep me updated on this.

I'm using the Boss OS2 and overdrive on a Mackie mixer.
Could do with another one though :D

Mushy Mushy wrote:
rob_lee wrote:Where's the place you go to for the rubber feet?
B&Q?
Will have a look about later Mushy.. Still it's a pretty cool little box. Been listening to the Distortion unit this guy is using in the YouTube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0jDgO3rE4I

rob_lee wrote:Been listening to the Distortion unit this guy is using in the YouTube video
The MXR does seem to be very popular for TB's.

Mushy Mushy wrote:
rob_lee wrote:Been listening to the Distortion unit this guy is using in the YouTube video
The MXR does seem to be very popular for TB's.
Just checking these out now. Got a couple of FX ordered.. Lexicon MX400XL and Jomox T-Resonator for other duty's and i'm done for this month. The only other thing i'm considering for this set up is the DSI PRO2. Haven't tested out my Waldorf 2-Pole yet that's still in the box but i'll try and have everything set up by next week and record some stuff for YouTube Mushy.

rob_lee wrote:

I mean when I turn up the resonance I can't hear that ear piercing sound I did when I had the original TB303 but maybe my ears are just not what they used to be.
ah, okay
well, the resonance level is quite "sane" on the stock 303s (and freshly built x0xb0xes) but people typically want a bit more resonance, so they usually mod them (some even push the 5.33 voltage (via TM6) to max, which, besides all the other side effects increases the feedback in the filter (but don't do this)
the bassbots by design alter the original circuit in that respect, replacing a resistor (iirc) to set the resonance level to a bit more than usual (similarly to the TB-3)
so unless your 303 had the resonance really high - you shouldn't be experiencing lack of resonance level

now, the other ingredient in getting the piercing sound is the cutoff+envmod+TM3 combination
(TM3 is the cutoff offset trimpot, it's name is different in the bassbot but it's there)
chances are that the TM3 position in your 303 might have been anywhere, while my impression with the bassbots is that they've put those trimpots to max in the factory or so, because most people couldn't get their cutoff low enough for the "wow wow" sound without touching those trimpots
and, the actual envmod pot, the bassbot uses a different value there, which gives an extended range
so if you max out that knob - you'll never get exactly the same behaviour as your 303, even if you perfectly matched the TM3 setting

having these things in mind - you should be able to get it to "squelch"
tho beware that for adjusting TM3 (or whatever its name is) - you'll probably need to open the case, which might void your warranty

i'm still curious to hear a recording (preferably wav, because mp3s cut away the top part of the spectrum, which is the interesting part)
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

antto wrote:
rob_lee wrote:

I mean when I turn up the resonance I can't hear that ear piercing sound I did when I had the original TB303 but maybe my ears are just not what they used to be.
ah, okay
well, the resonance level is quite "sane" on the stock 303s (and freshly built x0xb0xes) but people typically want a bit more resonance, so they usually mod them (some even push the 5.33 voltage (via TM6) to max, which, besides all the other side effects increases the feedback in the filter (but don't do this)
the bassbots by design alter the original circuit in that respect, replacing a resistor (iirc) to set the resonance level to a bit more than usual (similarly to the TB-3)
so unless your 303 had the resonance really high - you shouldn't be experiencing lack of resonance level

now, the other ingredient in getting the piercing sound is the cutoff+envmod+TM3 combination
(TM3 is the cutoff offset trimpot, it's name is different in the bassbot but it's there)
chances are that the TM3 position in your 303 might have been anywhere, while my impression with the bassbots is that they've put those trimpots to max in the factory or so, because most people couldn't get their cutoff low enough for the "wow wow" sound without touching those trimpots
and, the actual envmod pot, the bassbot uses a different value there, which gives an extended range
so if you max out that knob - you'll never get exactly the same behaviour as your 303, even if you perfectly matched the TM3 setting

having these things in mind - you should be able to get it to "squelch"
tho beware that for adjusting TM3 (or whatever its name is) - you'll probably need to open the case, which might void your warranty

i'm still curious to hear a recording (preferably wav, because mp3s cut away the top part of the spectrum, which is the interesting part)
Thanks for the reply. I don't think i'll open the box on this one mate i wouldn't know what i was doing tbh it's definitely a keeper at a fraction of the price of the original too, I'm happy with it, great explanation though i see you know your stuff.

Rob

@Rob - the MXR is good, also try a Boss DS-1. I find it better for synths than guitars. Pick one up on ebay for about £30.

Kriminal wrote:@Rob - the MXR is good, also try a Boss DS-1. I find it better for synths than guitars. Pick one up on ebay for about £30.

Cheers Dave i'll check the Boss DS-1 out too. The MXR sounds good indeed.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”