New Roland "DANCE" hardware- AIRA TR-8, TB-3, VT-3, SYSTEM-1

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

being a fan of the Gaia, im not fussed if its D or A, as long as whatever it is sounds good and has as many controls. Not interested in drum machines, but looking fwd to seeing what synths the have coming...

I've got break tweaker instead...beat making is in the hands of izotope,love it or hate it that piece of software is ridiculously good and I'm not even a BT fan
live 11 / Arturia collection / many Softube plug ins / thats it

Wow, now if only someone could figure out how to do this 'Analog Circuit Behavior' technology but without all the extra expense and annoyance of hardware. Would be double awesome if it would load up right in a DAW and you could use it right there ON YOUR COMPUTER!

spacecult wrote:Wow, now if only someone could figure out how to do this 'Analog Circuit Behavior' technology but without all the extra expense and annoyance of hardware. Would be double awesome if it would load up right in a DAW and you could use it right there ON YOUR COMPUTER!
You might be on to something there. Someone should start a website dedicated to this radical new technology :hihi:

* in all seriousness, yeah I was thinking exactly the same thing ... funny stuff :)
... space is the place ...

The furor over Analog vs Digital audio reminds me of the furor in the photography world over APS-C vs Full Frame sensors...

"If you don't have a FF camera, you are not a professional. Can't take a single decent photo with those APS-C or m4/3 cameras.. nope!! FF or go home!!!! "

:hihi:

uhm, isn't it more appropriate to compare digital vs film cameras?
the sensor size does make a difference if you want bokeh and shallow DOF

(and fyi, i use aps-c digital, but i wouldn't mind moar bokeh)
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

The big battle today in photography is between digi formats.

But you're missing my point anyways. That being we have people who claim the analog electronic pathway is required whereas the viewership largely doesn't care what created it. Just like we have people who claim you need a Full Frame sensor to capture beautiful, 'professional' images.

As if a smaller sensor won't cut it; Your wedding photos are your wedding photos whether you took them on a 1dx, d3100, or a K-3 -- how well you use the camera, lenses, and lighting is what matters. But you still see people demanding a FF camera be used even if they don't understand the reasoning behind it... I think many of the people shouting for analog design here are similar thinking they need it but not really. The 'need' is far smaller than the population claiming they require it.

VitaminD wrote:The furor over Analog vs Digital audio reminds me of the furor in the photography world over APS-C vs Full Frame sensors...
There's a big difference though, FF cameras are crazy expensive, but decent analog synths are quite affordable, including some Moog models.

I personally think that people wants Roland to make analog synths because their last digital creations are not very impressive, and not because analog sounds better than digital. Yes, I know, there are some SH-201 and Gaia fans here, but for me, for example, the last successful digital synth from Roland was JP-8000/8080. Roland also tried to revive their old sounds in V-Synth and Jupiter 50/80, but they sounds so-so - I mean, old sound recreations, not synths sound overall. That's why people wants something analog from Roland - maybe they just better in developing analog synths.
Peace and tolerance

kangul wrote:... for me, for example, the last successful digital synth from Roland was JP-8000/8080. Roland also tried to revive their old sounds in V-Synth and Jupiter 50/80, but they sounds so-so - I mean, old sound recreations, not synths sound overall. That's why people wants something analog from Roland - maybe they just better in developing analog synths.
What are you saying? The D-50 card on V-Synth is NOT a recreation - it's the same synth in a card. If it sounds so-so to you, then so would the original.
Besides, the V-Synth is a great synthesizer (that's why I just bought a V-Synth XT).
I pretty much agree with everything else you wrote, though.
Considering the price the second-hand Jupiter-8 is being sold, Roland would be wise in reissuing a true analogue Jupiter-8 (maybe with some improvements in the synth engine). In terms of R&D there's not that much money ro spent, and it's not like the componentes are that expensive, AFAIK.
But Roland executives have shown several times they have problems in listen to the market :hihi: Instead, they launched another PCM digital synth, and called it Jupiter-80 :clap:
Fernando (FMR)

kangul wrote:
VitaminD wrote:The furor over Analog vs Digital audio reminds me of the furor in the photography world over APS-C vs Full Frame sensors...
There's a big difference though, FF cameras are crazy expensive, but decent analog synths are quite affordable, including some Moog models.

I personally think that people wants Roland to make analog synths because their last digital creations are not very impressive, and not because analog sounds better than digital. Yes, I know, there are some SH-201 and Gaia fans here, but for me, for example, the last successful digital synth from Roland was JP-8000/8080. Roland also tried to revive their old sounds in V-Synth and Jupiter 50/80, but they sounds so-so - I mean, old sound recreations, not synths sound overall. That's why people wants something analog from Roland - maybe they just better in developing analog synths.
Not so! The oldies such as the TR-808 and TR-909 retailed at around 1200 dollars in the 80s (equivalent to 2800 dollars today).. and even the moderns like Machinedrum cost over a grand in price. Not exactly quite affordable to me so I'm seeing no difference there in my analogy. hah, analog-y.. I made a funny. :clap:

But the thing is, some prefer analog because they feel it DOES sound better than digital and thus that is why they want an analog pathway.. that, and due to price, they want a modern, analog design that is affordable. Otherwise, they'd spend the 1-3 grand on an analog drum machine and go crazy. :shrug:

Why don't people just buy a real drum kit? Surely real > analog > digital.

yeah, but you are still dealing with the computer OS for your
permission to do anything.

as soon as you boot up, you get sucked into the Pootah's mindset,
and your own computer mode.

you might even end up online posting on a forum instead :scared:

but this stuff all used to be cheap and second hand! nobody wanted it...

CDM did a little zoom and enhance action on the recent teaser image and you can see the 4 devices with more detail than ever before! Mmm.. Touch Bassline. I hope it can run on batteries!

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/02/r ... -modeling/

mztk wrote:but this stuff all used to be cheap and second hand! nobody wanted it...
Really? Not where I came from. From late 80s onwards, I never saw any 808 or 909 going cheap and they were only advertised for a very short time as each one was snapped up almost instantly. We bought an OSCar for 700 quid in (I think it was) 1991 , and from memory a 909 was never seen for under 500. Sticks in my memory cos at the time we were going to buy one or the other. 808s were a real rarity for sale because owners just didn't let go of them. And 909s have kept up with the market constantly.

Certainly 303s were quite a bit cheaper at the time - for just a few years you could pick up a 303 with 606 for not much over a ton ( I did), but that didn't last long. 303s have held their price for nearly 20 years now, and I can't see that changing...

meldavid wrote:Why don't people just buy a real drum kit? Surely real > analog > digital.
Beuaty of drum machines :

Drum kit = maintenance, tuning, space, acoustics, mics to record, mixer, lears, booms, oh and a drummer with some skills.

Drum machine -anyone can have a great time and record...or is that the issue nowadays a database full of beatport, soundclound, soundclick, bandcamp, itunes (lol) wannanbes. :) me included

For anyone who has played with analog and digital in real life. Yes an actual analog equipmen and listened to them through real speakers, will not even draw a comparison. Two totally different formats and instruments in sound and vibe. Get your arse down to your local music store, mates house or put your money where your mouth is an by both. Pros and cons to both.

However the end user is ignorant on the whole to what they are actually listnening too :) with exception to the audiophiles.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”