Is there any difference in brass sounds between JV1080/2080?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I really The big band brass sound In the JV 2080. Does the 1080 Have the same brass sounds.
People are saying that 1080 sounds better, and It's cheaper. The closest software to this I've heard is Halion sonic. I also like the bras in the U220, which I stupidly sold.
Thanks Bill

Anybody?

JV-2080 has 7 or 8 additional brass sounds. If price doesn't matter, get XV-5080 (not 5050, which is crap). It has all the sounds they have plus many more and is the best sounding in the series, with clearer sound and much better processing.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

Its been awhile since I updated my jv1080 to the jv 2080 and awhile since I played my 2080 for any amount of time. But I definitely don't remember thinking the 2080 was a sound step downwards from the 1080 at all.
But yes the XV-5080 is the one to have........
and the only software that I have that in some sounds matches what I used the jv2080 for is not surprisingly omnisphere....... although omnisphere doesn't have bread and butter sounds, but you can tell its from the same sound aesthetic.

I have HalionSonic2 and I dont' find it even close to sounding like the 2080.

ymmv
rsp
sound sculptist

Thanks, XV5080 is a consideration. about the same price as a yamaha motif rack es.

bill45 wrote:Thanks, XV5080 is a consideration. about the same price as a yamaha motif rack es.
And the 5080 definitely sounds better than the 1080/2080, has all the sounds of the 1080/2080, JD800/990, and you can even load in the first batch of Fantom presets too. Add some sample ram and you can use your own samples too - very cool machine if you like that smooth glossy Roland sound...

Good advice.

I have the JV-2080 because I wanted a lot of the 1080 expansions all in one unit. The 2080 can hold more of the original JV expansion sounds than any other synth if I'm not mistaken (8 JV cards). In any event, once I picked up a bunch of the expansions, I had all the sounds I needed to do soundtracks to Tomb Raider custom levels, as those were the sounds used almost exclusively in the original games. The 5080 uses different expansion cards with different sounds than the JV series doesn't it?

The Latin card has a ton of brass, as do both Orchestral cards. They sound great, by the way, on the 2080, which itself sounds better than the original JV-1080. I seem to remember reading that the audio circuits were upgraded along the way.
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

Thanks again,
In another thread, people where saying the 1080 sounds better than the 2080.
Did the phantom xr come out after the xv5080.

Fantom.....
after

I would love to see that thread.....then again I preferred the sound of the Korg T2 to the 01/W and the Trinity :-) so its all about personal taste.
rsp
sound sculptist

Yeah, I wish I could find it again.I've read that people prefer the jv1080, in other threads too.

I have been using the JV 880 for close to 20 years. Even that one has some good brass sounds. I was in a band in late 90's and we played Vehicle by Ides of March. I put the 880 through PA and just blew people away with the brass.

Years ago I programmed several interesting pad sounds, and I still find myself going back to them time and again. I have other hardware synths and sound modules as well as a ton of plugins, but those pads have a quality I haven't been able to match anywhere else.
This space has been unintentionally left blank.

"we played Vehicle by Ides of March. I put the 880 through PA and just blew people away with the brass".
This, is what I liked about the brass in that jv2080 demo.Even the brass in the u220 made it on to some hit records.

bill45 wrote:Thanks again,
In another thread, people where saying the 1080 sounds better than the 2080.
Did the phantom xr come out after the xv5080.
I think you're right - some do complain there's a bit of noise in the 2080 that's not present in the 1080, though I've never heard it and I use headphones all the time. But I stand corrected.

I did a bit of research and found that the XV-5080 has "4 expansion slots for 64MB SRX-series waveboards (when converted into 16-bit linear format) and four SR-JV80 expansion slots."

I was looking to get as many of the Eric Persing JV-1080 sounds as possible, that's why I picked up a 2080. Together with Omnisphere, I feel I have a really big choice of Persing sounds. The XV-5080 would give you a higher-quality synth engine and the ability to load 4 of the newer SRX expansions, but has only 1/2 the expansion slots (4) for JV sounds as the 2080 (8 slots!). With the 2080, you basically can have all the expansions worth having. For example, the sound effects expansion is pretty bad, while both orchestral cards are excellent. If you're a big Persing fan and money is no object, you might want both.
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

Thanks Gonga, I wonder if people are cranking the input gain on their mixers too much.
I have omnisphere and I AM a Persing fan too.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”