ARP ODYSSEY IS COMING!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

stimresp wrote:Maybe the different versions will also be different sizes?
Only the colors will be different, everything else will be identical.

So three separate products for each different filter type, like the Boomstars?

seamoss wrote:is this link down? Doesn't seem to work for me
Try it around NAMM time.

tehlord wrote:So three separate products for each different filter type, like the Boomstars?
No, one product that does all 3 versions.

$999 MSRP or Street Price?

three colors meaning the three original colors?

Uncle E wrote:
tehlord wrote:So three separate products for each different filter type, like the Boomstars?
No, one product that does all 3 versions.

Sweeeeeeeet

I'm sold.

Actually I was sold before, now I'm double sold.

Uncle E wrote:
JCJR wrote:I had the old white face with 12 dB filter and liked it fine. As far as I recall liked the sound better than the later models with 24 dB filters. At that time 24 dB filters were considered "better" in general due to the lemming effect, and arp probably had trouble with new sales with "only" the 12 dB filter. But the original had a smooth feminine tone that was unique compared to more aggressive synths of the time.
I've had a white face, a black and orange, a 2600, and a 2600 Blue Meanie. The black and orange was the only one that sounded really special, I'm sure yours sounded good but the white face that I had could have been replaced by any number of synths and I didn't like the 2600's at all. I've never found another synth that sounded like that black and orange did and I'm pretty sure there must have been something wrong with it that made it sound like that.

One thing cool about the Korg version is the DRIVE switch. That black and orange one I had distorted really hard in a great way.
Is this new odyssey mostly analog?

Everyone has sound prefs. Problem I had with some 4 pole synths of the time was getting a good Fc setting. Either too bright or not bright enough. I liked the obie sem polysynths as well, and yamaha cs 50/60/80.

After advent of midi, rhodes chroma polaris was a favorite, though it wasn't "a big hit" with most folks. Smooth sounding synths. Chroma polaris was fairly conventional 4 pole, but it seemed easier to dial in just enough brightness for whatever reason.

When I was doing hardware mods, had a good number of gigs adding stuff to odysseys and avatars (basically same as odyssey in the synth circuitry). Extra waveforms, suboctaves, ring modulators, extra lfo's, extra vco's, extra cv ins and outs to make em compatible with s-trig and various analog sequencer. They were good for mods because of fairly generous panel space for extra knobs, switches and jacks, and plenty of un-used space in the chassis for extra circuit boards.

User experience, molding sound with sliders vs knobs had an influence in perception of the tone. I think knobs were maybe more repeatable than sliders, but the odyssey layout was very intuitive to visually see "what was going on" in a patch.

Odyssey didn't have the ultra-fast attack and bite of such as minimoog, but there were a lot of sounds easy to make on odyssey, difficult to make on minimoog. And vice versa. For screaming lightning fast leads, was hard to find anything quite as amenable to the task, as a minimoog. Odyssey never seemed the right tool for that task.

Okay, so......

It's the 15th....

I think they meant January 2015. ;)

They'll probably do the announcement at the NAMM show. Im told they'll have inventory in early February.

Uncle E wrote:I think they meant January 2015. ;)

They'll probably do the announcement at the NAMM show. Im told they'll have inventory in early February.

damn.....what was I thinking? :dog:

deastman wrote:
mztk wrote:dunno but it would be nice if they supplied these re-issues in a
format whre you can remove the keyboard easily and rack them
- i mean, so you can plug the k/b back in again if +when -
the aesthetic of a shallow wall of analogue appeals to me, at
least in theory.

what are people's feeling about k/b vs rack in this context?
(then you can really get with the analogue overkill)

i was thinking abt doing that to the ms10 before i sold it many
years ago - a decision i regret of course, even then i was
conscious of its single osc purity and power.(but i made a 3x
profit, so... :-/ )
It would make more sense to sell a second, more compact version designed for rack mounting.
Good point.

Murderous duck!

I'll soon post pictures of Korg's new MS-20 Module and SQ-1 analog sequencer, as well as the new Buchla stuff.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”