What's up with non-endless encoders on midi controllers?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't understand why in this day and age of bank and track switching anybody would want encoders that aren't endless on a controller. Who wants jumping when you switch to another parameter and adjust? I'm in the market for a controller but it looks like I can't have controls that aren't a pain to use without paying for a Cadillac model with drum pads, an arp, and a row of faders that also cause jumps when you use them.

It depends a lot on intended use. There is some advantage to absolute position for some applications. For example, I hate endless controllers for very active live tweaking. That said, I also hate the jumping, but, it's not clear which is the lesser of two evils. When I'm DJing, having absolute stops on the controls is essential and I can see that for some people who play live that they would rely on this also.

All of that said, I feel your pain.

I can (sort of) understand using pots when the knob function doesn't change. In those instances, having the physical position of the knob represent the parameter value provides a useful visual cue. But for multi-function knobs (which applies to every general purpose controller,) endless encoders are the only way to go. It's surprising how many companies get this wrong.

One of the worst offenders in this regard is the Mutable Instruments Shruthi. Given the small display and the fact that the unit has only 5 knobs, it's amazing how well the interface works except for one egregiously bad design choice: The knobs are pots (i.e., have fixed start and end points). So everytime you adjust a parameter on a new page/screen, the value jumps to the last position of the knob. It's super annoying and mars an otherwise really cool synth.
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

Yeah, who knows. So far nobody has gotten the midi controller right. Close, but there's always something that just makes the whole process yank right on your amygdala.

Knobs for live use (specially in effects and mixer controls) are a must.

but I totally understand your point is a PITA to deal with pots while controlling softsynths and a DAW.

I love the encoders (and screen) on Ableton Push, every other controller should have both, it what really makes a controller usefull.

But still a controller with 32 encoders would be great.

And led rings, if you ever use a Nord lead 3 you will find out the best UI ever created for a synth.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:And led rings, if you ever use a Nord lead 3 you will find out the best UI ever created for a synth.
Totally agree. The Nord 3 has the best synth interface EVER! :-) The virtual analog sounds are a little too pristine for my tastes (although the FM sounds are fantastic). But I will never sell my Nord Rack 3. It's just so much fun to use because the interface is so well-designed.
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”