i need to buy a hardware mixer cud you help me please

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

recently i purchased a korg prophecy which i love and now i dont want to invest in any more soft synths
but im going to keep hive dune 2 etc .
i was looking at this mixer
Behringer Xenyx 2222fx

i want to hook my hardware synths to this if possible ?
and can i controll my soft synths with the faders on the mixer
does anybody familar with the mixer ?
thank you for your time

the only hardware i want to hook up is my hardware synths i just found this
http://www.sound7.be/WebRoot/StoreLFR/S ... 222U-4.png

cud anyone recomend a usb mixer tghat i can hook up at least a few external synths

My first question would be... what audio interface are you using now?

It might be a better idea to pick up a summing line mixer just to add more synth-compatible line inputs to your existing interface.

Are you going to need MIDI connectivity for the other hardware synths you buy in the future, or do you already have that aspect covered with a MIDI hub? Some of the newer synths will handle MIDI via USB, but many will not.

If you haven't been using an audio interface up to now, it might be a better idea to get something with a lot of stereo line inputs and MIDI, rather than a mixer.

With all that said, the Xenyx has a lot of nice features and routing options. If you plan on running outboard gear like compressors or FX, a mixer like this can be useful. If not, maybe you need something simpler.

thanks im using a focusrite scarlette 2i2
i always wanted a mixer and i plan to buy more hardware synths

I use one of these ...
http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/zed-14/

and one of these ...
http://www.samsontech.com/samson/produc ... sm10/sm10/

coz I've got far too many hardware synths and grooveboxes :ud:

Allen & Heath make a smaller mixer with USB audio ... the ZED10 and ZED10FX http://www.allen-heath.com/series/zed/

The Behringer Xenyx 2222fx looks ok. It has plenty of good features. I used to have one of their 16-8-2 Eurorack mixers. It worked great for about 10 years and then just stopped. That's when I got the ZED14 ...
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deadly thank you very much

Well, for that price level (under $300), it's hard to find a mixer that is going to work for you in the long term. At a minimum, I would pass over the Xenyx 2222FX and go for the Xenyx 2222USB. The 2222FX comes with an external 2-in/2-out audio interface that will be much like the Focusrite 2i2 you're using now. That just seems like a clumsy design to me.

The 2222USB version has the audio interface built in and the FX section has been upgraded. They are both about the same price.

For my tastes, I would want something with fewer mono microphone channels and more stereo line inputs. Since your setup sounds like it will be based around hardware synths, you're going to fill up those stereo channels quickly. Yeah, you can use two mono channels, but it's not as elegant and you'll never get the onboard EQ and FX to match between left and right channels.

In the long term, you will probably need to get a MIDI hub too. MOTU makes several good ones.

Also, neither of these mixers is going to allow you to route sound from your computer back to the mixing board. Nor are you going to be able to route individual tracks to your DAW; only the main mix can be routed to your computer. I don't think any of the Xenyx series have these capabililties.

So if you're looking for a short term solution, then yeah--this mixer will work. But I'll bet you'll be replacing it with something better in about a year. Do some research on what Mackie, Allan & Heath, and Soundcraft offer and you won't need to upgrade so soon.

Good luck.

cheeres pal

If your loaded pick one of these up, a mate of mine bought one and it sounds f**king amazing..

http://vintageking.com/api-the-box-console
:borg:

thecontrolcentre wrote:coz I've got far too many hardware synths and grooveboxes :ud:
LOL, you have the same problem I do. I use these two:

What you really want is one of the new Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK (they also do a 22 channel version too).

It will allow you to send and receive multiple channels of audio over USB (most if not all USB mixers only send the stereo mix over USB), will replace your 2i2 and allows you to insert VST plugins as inserts into the mixer signal path.

The only other options that match your criteria are the Mackie Onyx 1640i and A&H ZED-R16 which operate via firewire and are much more expensive.

None of these options will act as a true midi controller, so I would forget about operating your VST's as well.

If you want a midi controller/mixer, go with the A&H stuff, it's pretty decent for the money.
:borg:

tehlord wrote:It will allow you to send and receive multiple channels of audio over USB (most if not all USB mixers only send the stereo mix over USB), will replace your 2i2 and allows you to insert VST plugins as inserts into the mixer signal path.
^^^ this. Very true!
tehlord wrote:The only other options that match your criteria are the Mackie Onyx 1640i and A&H ZED-R16 which operate via firewire and are much more expensive.
Mackie also makes a 820i, 1220i, and 1620i, which cost less, but yes, Firewire is required.

RichieWitch wrote:
Mackie also makes a 820i, 1220i, and 1620i, which cost less, but yes, Firewire is required.
Only the 1640i is multiple channel in and out afaik, and if I was going for a mixer like this I'd want channels both ways so I could do OTB mixdowns.

Are the A&H mixers still 16 bit only (as audio interfaces)?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”