TB-3 audio to TR-8 questions

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there.

I saw a video showing that the Roland TB3 audio was inputted to the TR8.

Can someone please explain the purpose for this?

Also, how is this connected only from TB3 (L)mono out to one TR8 in, or does one have to use stereo outs to the TR8?

Last, What is the TR8 internal routing of external audio source in terms of mixing and routing to one of the audio outs.

Many thanks.

tbugz wrote:Hi there.

I saw a video showing that the Roland TB3 audio was inputted to the TR8.

Can someone please explain the purpose for this?

Also, how is this connected only from TB3 (L)mono out to one TR8 in, or does one have to use stereo outs to the TR8?

Last, What is the TR8 internal routing of external audio source in terms of mixing and routing to one of the audio outs.

Many thanks.

Well most likely the TR8 was acting as side chain for the TB3 but you can feed any synth into the TR8 to get that. The TR8 and TB3 route via USB to give audio/midi to your DAW down the USB cable. Just plug in your TB3 or any other synth to the TR8 and hit the side chain button, activate what steps you want the synth to start pumping (side chaining)

Hey thanks rob for the quick reply. Yes, makes sense.. I don't have them yet but are on order so just getting info on using them for now.

As for routing, I'd like to put an Fx box between the TB3 and TR8 that has only mono i/o. I just read the online manual and apparently you can toggle between stereo/mono input so that's great.

What I still don't know is how the external audio is mixed and routed out exactly, or how much control you have over that. I'd rather avoid USB audio since it's PIA fixed at 96kHz.

tbugz wrote:
What I still don't know is how the external audio is mixed and routed out exactly, or how much control you have over that. I'd rather avoid USB audio since it's PIA fixed at 96kHz.
If you don't want to go the USB route then just go with the outs of both machines straight in to your sound card. For my hardware I have a Roland Studio Capture, tons of Ins/Outs I can plug loads of gear in there. I have a UAD Twin Duo but that won't give you the required Ins.

Good thing is about going USB is that all channels stream separate in to your DAW you won't be able to get all the channels via audio outs of both machines though..

Stereo Outs or L/Mono plus 2 assignable outs

Stereo Out or L/mono

Rob

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”