High end controllers.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I haven't seen a thread about this in a while, so I figured it might be a good idea to start one. I think it would help if we broke it down into two categories: Instrument style and Knob/Fader boxes. For instance, and instrument style controller, like say a Novation Remote, is a hybrid, but mostly geared toward people who play a keyboard in a traditional kind of way. While a Livid Code 2 is something designed for someone who's got a modular plug in being driven by a sequencer and they're looking to tweak. We should include instruments as well if they're particularly good. For instance, I was super surprised at how good my Prophet 12 is as a controller with it's uber-knobby interface and pressure sensitive strips. I've not yet got it controlling anything but itself, but I can see it's potential.

So what's the best these days? New? Weird?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

The stuff I'm interested in these days (well have been for years but nothing much was available) are the new expressive controllers like the Linnstrument and Seaboard. They provide a level of expressiveness closer to a physical instrument than we have had before.

I am definitely saving up for a large Seabord, such an amazing controller that is.

I like the ones with deep integration with the software: Push, Maschine, Spark. Hope that trend reaches synths some time.

I never liked generic controllers, too few controls and layouts that doesnt make sense. Better to use a hardware synth with enough controls.
dedication to flying

A kind of gridless Push would do it for me, as I'm looking for the a seamless way to control Diva and Bazille (and maybe a couple of FX like Valhalla's and TDR's), in a compact format. I don't mind using the mouse, but still I'd love to have some hand-control when patching/tweaking synths. The FaderFox prototype for Uhe's Ace was quite promising..

I don't mind doing my own mappings, so a Code 2 might do the trick... but I've read many times that the knobs feel cheap for the price. Anyone can confirm that?

Kenton Killamix is another option I consider, even though I wonder how the workflow actually is with only 8 "physical" knobs. The device is know to feel really, really nice though.

FWIW, I've already tried Nektar Panorama P1 (didn't gel with it), and Lemur/iPad combo (I like the flexibility but miss the mechanical feedback). In the past, I owned a UC33 and a BCR2000: both did the job, but felt cheap. I also considered modding a BCR2000, but I'm not sure it's really worth the hassle.

I currently use a Launchpad Mini with Numerology, it's a stunning sequencing combo (no need to look at the puter screen). LP Mini's pads feels surprisingly good, on par with the one from my former Monome 256. I love my QuNexus: 2 octaves are enough for me, most of the time at least. I also use a NanoKontrol2 for some basic stuffs like Mute/Solo, and toggling instruments/Fx on and off.

I've just realized that I'm quite happy mostly ITB (also own an A4), and feel like a few carefully chosen controllers would be perfect for me. For some reasons I want to keep my set-up as minimalist as possible (my plugin folder also reflects that).

TL;DR: looking forward all your answers ;)
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

Sampleconstruct wrote:I am definitely saving up for a large Seabord, such an amazing controller that is.
I'd forgotten about the Seabord. It does indeed look interesting. But that price tag. :o $3000 USD for the 61 "key" (can they even be called keys? 61 lump board? :lol: ) seems a bit nutty to me. Have you touched one yet?

There's also the Touchkeys which seems to be able to give you Seabord like functionality as a DYI add-on kit to any MIDI controller. It's still pricey but you can get the 61 key kit for £708. (about $1100 USD)

One of the things that bums me out about all of this is that, for some unknown reason, Live, my preferred DAW, filters poly pressure out. So even if I did get one of these sexy controllers I'd also have to factor in that I'd have to change my work flow. I do also own Metro, but I don't use it that often.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

nilhartman wrote:A kind of gridless Push would do it for me, as I'm looking for the a seamless way to control Diva and Bazille (and maybe a couple of FX like Valhalla's and TDR's), in a compact format. I don't mind using the mouse, but still I'd love to have some hand-control when patching/tweaking synths. The FaderFox prototype for Uhe's Ace was quite promising..

I don't mind doing my own mappings, so a Code 2 might do the trick... but I've read many times that the knobs feel cheap for the price. Anyone can confirm that?

Kenton Killamix is another option I consider, even though I wonder how the workflow actually is with only 8 "physical" knobs. The device is know to feel really, really nice though.

FWIW, I've already tried Nektar Panorama P1 (didn't gel with it), and Lemur/iPad combo (I like the flexibility but miss the mechanical feedback). In the past, I owned a UC33 and a BCR2000: both did the job, but felt cheap. I also considered modding a BCR2000, but I'm not sure it's really worth the hassle.

I currently use a Launchpad Mini with Numerology, it's a stunning sequencing combo (no need to look at the puter screen). LP Mini's pads feels surprisingly good, on par with the one from my former Monome 256. I love my QuNexus: 2 octaves are enough for me, most of the time at least. I also use a NanoKontrol2 for some basic stuffs like Mute/Solo, and toggling instruments/Fx on and off.

I've just realized that I'm quite happy mostly ITB (also own an A4), and feel like a few carefully chosen controllers would be perfect for me. For some reasons I want to keep my set-up as minimalist as possible (my plugin folder also reflects that).

TL;DR: looking forward all your answers ;)
One of my issues about most generic controllers is the lack of visual feedback on endless rotary encoders. The Code 2 at least has value indicators, but no parameter labels. My Remote 25Sl has no value indication and only one row of parameter display. It's frustrating. Push and Kontrol seem good, but skimpy on the knobs. That's my biggest complaint about Kontrol. Also, I've heard it's keyboard does not feel that great. That surprised me because my Maschine mk1 does feel very good, in fact, I purchased it because I wanted a pad controller and it felt a little better to me than anything Akai was producing.
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:I am definitely saving up for a large Seabord, such an amazing controller that is.
I'd forgotten about the Seabord. It does indeed look interesting. But that price tag. :o $3000 USD for the 61 "key" (can they even be called keys? 61 lump board? :lol: ) seems a bit nutty to me. Have you touched one yet?

There's also the Touchkeys which seems to be able to give you Seabord like functionality as a DYI add-on kit to any MIDI controller. It's still pricey but you can get the 61 key kit for £708. (about $1100 USD)

One of the things that bums me out about all of this is that, for some unknown reason, Live, my preferred DAW, filters poly pressure out. So even if I did get one of these sexy controllers I'd also have to factor in that I'd have to change my work flow. I do also own Metro, but I don't use it that often.
Lump board - LLLOOOLZ - yes, I indeed touched one and jammed on it for 2 hours and did not want to stop. For trained pianists/keyboarders like I am, this is the ultimate controller with a totally new approach to finger techniques and expressive playing, the price tag seems crazy, but what does a even a small Steinway cost, and each large Seabord is handmade they say.

I'm holding out for a larger Seaboard Rise. I think four octaves is the minimum I'd settle for, but we'll just have to wait and see what they eventually release.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I'm interested in seeing the final result from this kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... controller
They are on track for a 2016 release.

I like the idea of a well-built traditional keyboard with good quality sensors, release velocity, and poly at.
Feel free to call me Brian.

zerocrossing wrote:One of the things that bums me out about all of this is that, for some unknown reason, Live, my preferred DAW, filters poly pressure out. So even if I did get one of these sexy controllers I'd also have to factor in that I'd have to change my work flow. I do also own Metro, but I don't use it that often.
I'm happy with Live... except for this one thing. So I purchased Bitwig and Logic recently. Both of them can work with the new expressive controllers.

I think these new controllers are the first time we (musicians) have had the ability to play our soft-synths like real instruments. Some of the performances I've seen have been stunning. The sort of beautiful expressive playing one sees with guitars.

I'm happy creating sounds/patches ITB. I don't particularly aspire to a screen free control of patching. It's the playing that I've wanted something more organic and natural.

zerocrossing wrote:One of my issues about most generic controllers is the lack of visual feedback on endless rotary encoders. The Code 2 at least has value indicators, but no parameter labels. My Remote 25Sl has no value indication and only one row of parameter display. It's frustrating. Push and Kontrol seem good, but skimpy on the knobs. That's my biggest complaint about Kontrol. Also, I've heard it's keyboard does not feel that great. That surprised me because my Maschine mk1 does feel very good, in fact, I purchased it because I wanted a pad controller and it felt a little better to me than anything Akai was producing.
This is my problem with controllers for controlling soft-synths too. The synths are too varied and having dozens of controls that are changing what they do and no visual feedback... I cannot keep all that in my brain in a fluid way.

Regarding sound design, everything I've tried has ended up with me still preferring the keyboard and mouse. For playing, setting up the macros and using Push works well.

I am intrigued by the iPad Pro with the software that allows it to function as an additional monitor. Add the new Apple stylus and it might be both big enough and precise enough to be an interesting option for sound design.

pdxindy wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:One of the things that bums me out about all of this is that, for some unknown reason, Live, my preferred DAW, filters poly pressure out. So even if I did get one of these sexy controllers I'd also have to factor in that I'd have to change my work flow. I do also own Metro, but I don't use it that often.
I'm happy with Live... except for this one thing. So I purchased Bitwig and Logic recently. Both of them can work with the new expressive controllers.

I think these new controllers are the first time we (musicians) have had the ability to play our soft-synths like real instruments. Some of the performances I've seen have been stunning. The sort of beautiful expressive playing one sees with guitars.

I'm happy creating sounds/patches ITB. I don't particularly aspire to a screen free control of patching. It's the playing that I've wanted something more organic and natural.
I totally agree with all of that, though for drones I do sometimes like a bank of knobs to mess with. I have a Source Audio Hot Hands USB, which I love, but you can't 'park' it.
Zerocrossing Media

Has anyone experienced kontrol? Did they get the third party plug in support right?
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote: I have a Source Audio Hot Hands USB, which I love, but you can't 'park' it.
Me too ... the Hot Hand would be so much more usable if there was a "disconnect" option. My main Midi controllers are Push, a Remote SL and a Doepfer Pocket Control (used for DJing). The integration with Live is great. I've yet to see anything that would work better for me.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”