Synths that have VCF+VCA for each oscillator - do they exist?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

JCJR wrote: So IMO a 4 voice modular would need at least 8 voice plugins, not 4. 12 would be kewl.
By the way I agree that you need 2 OSC per voice.

For my 3 voice setup on my MU modular, I was running 6 VCOs, 2 each into 3 Filters, the filters into 3 mix/VCAs, the mix into 1 master VCA. All controlled by 9 EGs. In addition it took 2 banks of buffered mults (2 in 4 out each), 2 more passive mult modules with 8 leads each (although they are 16 point mults switchable in groups of 4). 2 LFOs feeding through attenuators into an EG. And a partridge in a pear tree. Basically a big ball of wires.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Thanks SJ_Digriz

That does sound like a rats nest!

JCJR wrote:Thanks SJ_Digriz

That does sound like a rats nest!
And the final insult once I got it configured and working as a "poly". Every vco, EG, filter and vca had to be exactly right to get THAT sound. If even 1 of the vcas was a couple of ms off the others, the sound starts to fall apart. If the sound isn't coordinated it doesn't sound poly, it sounds multi-mono. So, it only sounded amazing over about 2 octaves and only for about 45 minutes at a time, then I had to tweak again.

Totally not usable on a day to day basis. Now, I'm not claiming to being the master of modular either. So, I'm sure there are guys/gals out there that eat this kind of stuff for breakfast on their rigs. Traditional YMMV
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

BertKoor wrote:
lfm wrote:Separate Filter&Amp each osc - do they exist
I think the now ancient Roland D-series (D10, D20, D50) had for each "part" (compare with an oscillator - 4 parts per voice) a seperate DCA with its own ADSR, but after mixing the parts all went through one filter. This allowed for one part to be responsible for the attack (transient) and others providing the sustain.
D-series has 4 partials per Tone, each with own EGs + (digital)filter, velocity responses and scaling.
they're separate until the mix/ring stage. with the 'lesser' series (D10/110/20/5), there
are 8 parts with assignable MIDI Ch. potentially 32x osc+filter+EGs.

The upcoming futuresonus parva is supposed to be a 8-note polyphonic fully analog synth. The specs look great, but the interface is quite minimal. There are sound demos, but I think I'll wait for user reviews before making any conclusions.

SonicTank wrote:The upcoming futuresonus parva is supposed to be a 8-note polyphonic fully analog synth. The specs look great, but the interface is quite minimal. There are sound demos, but I think I'll wait for user reviews before making any conclusions.
The Parva is similar to the Prophet 08 in that it uses a DCO design and has an analog audio path, but modulation etc is purely digitally generated.

Speaking of the VCO+VCF+VCA setup, the Yamaha CS70m also used that setup, although it had one multi mode filter (LP/BP/HP) instead of the CS50/60/80 series HPF+LPF.

Back to the Parva and Prophet 08. The Parva is fully multi timbral and the Prophet 08 is bi-timbral which means that you could stack two patches on top of each other (polyphony would be halved as you're using up two patches). It would achieve a type of layering that the OP mentions.

I think that some of the older poly analogues such as the OB-Xa/OB-8/Matrix 6/12, Xpander, and also the Jupiter 8 offered such stacking possibility. To mention a few. :)

Also, if you're open for hybrid solutions there's the mighty prophet 12 that offers a bi-timbral mode.

The nealy announced Prophet-6 desktop module has 6 voices and 2 VCO's per voice. Twice more expensive than Parva, though.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”