Anyone played NI's S-88 yet? Please comment...

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

None of the GC's in my area have the S-88 set up for demo. The flagship store in Boston tells me that they don't get more than one at a time, and the one they have has been sold.

They DO tell me that they have a 45 day return policy, so I can buy and try and return if I don't like. But I'd like to get some sense of the keyboard.

I'm told it's 88 keys, hammer action and aftertouch. I don't really need all the Komplete integration bells and whistles, though I'm sure that's a nice bonus. I AM a little worried about the mod and pitch wheels. They're sliders, and I don't know how responsive they'll be or if they'll be tough to get used to.

The salesman tells me it's all great. But he's trying to sell a $999 instrument on faith. Does anyone have this yet? Can you recommend it?

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

It uses a fatar keyboard, a high end one I suppose. Nord pianos use fatar too so I would use them as reference for the keys (I would expect that Nord uses the best from fatar).

And play other manufacturers 88 weighted keyboards, IMHO Casio, Roland and Kawai make better key actions. I think you will save some bucks with models as the Privia PX160. Of course if you need modwheel and pitchbend then only the Roland A88 has it in that price range.
dedication to flying

I've had a Fatar keyboard and a Kurzweil with Fatar as well, and find them a bit on the heavy side compared to most real pianos and grand pianos.

Overall, hammer action and doing synth stuff and use as general controller, I left that idea.
It's only for piano stuff, really. A real PITA for synth, in my view.

About keybeds, don't forget Yamaha. Even the cheaper series GHS keybeds are really good, and more usable for overall use. Look at Yamaha DGX-650 as an example, about $700 and a real usable instrument.

$1000 - you get Nord Electro used for less than that, and you've got an instrument too, not just a keybed.

I was thinking about the Kontrol 88 as well, but then went for the S61. The fatar hammer action keyboards are good, but as some other said here - only for piano playing. For synth stuff, they are far too stiff IMHO.

The keys of the S61 are great - I think it's Fatar as well, but not hammer action. It just feels right for a synth keyed, and not too 'plastic' like.

The integration with the Komplete Kontrol software is not only a gimmick, btw, and very useful if you have a lot of NI stuff. Even the light guide is pretty useful (when supported by the instrument). And with 1.5, the software became much more useful, as you can integrate non-NI stuff and do your own controller setup per plug in. There are still a few things that need to be worked on, but overall, it's a very nice hardware/software combo.

That said, it's not a cheap solution. There are other keyboard out there that give you more knobs/buttons/sliders for the money, if that's what you are after.

Well, thank you so far guys. But it doesn't sound like I've heard from anyone yet who's actually played an NI S88.

To be clear, my current instrument is an Ensoniq KS-32. It has 76 keys and a Fatar weighted keyboard with aftertouch. It has served me well for more than 20 years, but I'm afraid it's time for a new one. I'm a pianist, so the weighted 88 keys are crucial. I'm used to doing synth on weighted keys, so that is not an issue for me. I've also owned KOMPLETE/KOMPLETE ULTIMATE since version 2, so the integration would be nice, but is not essential.

From what I've seen, the MOTIF is probably the holy grail, but I don't really need that kind of fire power in an instrument. A controller would be fine. The Akai seems servicable, also priced right, but the keys seem a tad squishy.

Again, can anyone who's actually played one tell me about the S88?
Berfab

Well, there has been a discussion on the NI forums, speculating that the S88 uses the Fatar TP40GH keybed (or actually a cheaper one). NI didn't reveal the actual keybed, obviously, but if it's just a good Fatar keybed that you are after - you will find the Fatar TP40GH in Studiologic's SL-990 Pro, SL-990 XP and the VMK-188 Plus.

Considering the weight of the S88 the TP100 keybed is more likely than the TP40.
As for people who have used the S88, you may want to visit Youtube and search for Kontrol S88, and you'll find a couple of users among the first five results.
I was interested in the S88 when the rumor first appeared, but after the formal announcement I was disappointed and decided to let it go. I had hoped it would be the first of the second generation of controllers from NI with at least an LCD display like the Machine Studio and more controls onboard, but alas.

JJ67 wrote:Considering the weight of the S88 the TP100 keybed is more likely than the TP40.
As for people who have used the S88, you may want to visit Youtube and search for Kontrol S88, and you'll find a couple of users among the first five results.
I was interested in the S88 when the rumor first appeared, but after the formal announcement I was disappointed and decided to let it go. I had hoped it would be the first of the second generation of controllers from NI with at least an LCD display like the Machine Studio and more controls onboard, but alas.
:dog: Good suggestion. Should have started there.

Cheers
-B
Berfab

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”