Korg Minilogue

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote:
JCJR wrote:When I saw one cpu per voice on that minilogue, was first wondering what they need all the power for?
It does mean it scales up easily... the voices are fully self-contained.
Excellent point!

I'm looking for opinions. I already have one Mother-32, and another on backorder. I just got word the shipment is delayed again. So what do you think... Keep waiting, or get a Minilogue instead for less money? Keeping in mind I already have other monosynths, polysynths, and modulars, and really don't actually need anything new.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:really don't actually need anything new.
You really don't need anyting new. :)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Mutant wrote:
That's pretty obvious! But considering I already had a second M32 in order before the Korg was announced, I'm now wondering if the Minilogue would be a better purchase in terms of variety and flexibility.

Different beast, imo, and I think you will be happy with both. M32 is a great entry into the modular world just as the Minilogue is a really great polyphonic mini monster. Their soundprint also complements each other very nicely. If you have the space (they are both small, which helps too!), and if you have the funds to spare, I would say get both and don't look back.

After you get the second M32, than get the Oberheim SEM plus to go with your M32's. :wink:
deastman wrote:
Mutant wrote:
That's pretty obvious! But considering I already had a second M32 in order before the Korg was announced, I'm now wondering if the Minilogue would be a better purchase in terms of variety and flexibility.

Sequent wrote:Different beast, imo, and I think you will be happy with both. M32 is a great entry into the modular world just as the Minilogue is a really great polyphonic mini monster. Their soundprint also complements each other very nicely. If you have the space (they are both small, which helps too!), and if you have the funds to spare, I would say get both and don't look back.

After you get the second M32, than get the Oberheim SEM plus to go with your M32's. :wink:

I'm really good at spending other people's money, lol. But seriously, I wouldn't/don't mind having both!
deastman wrote:
Mutant wrote:

Sequent wrote:Different beast, imo, and I think you will be happy with both. M32 is a great entry into the modular world just as the Minilogue is a really great polyphonic mini monster. Their soundprint also complements each other very nicely. If you have the space (they are both small, which helps too!), and if you have the funds to spare, I would say get both and don't look back.

deastman wrote:
Mutant wrote:
I already have the SEM patch points edition and a fairly large eurorack and an Andromeda and many, many other toys. Anyway, I think I've convinced myself to get the Korg. Variety is more fun than more of the same.

I love the minilogue, but the Mother 32 is a little monster. My second on order also and will get a third for sure.

I was playing around earlier with a pretty easy sequence and kind of standard short pulse sequence sound and about an hour later had gone through so many different sounds it was a little freakish. Just a couple patch cables used too. Had some delay on it. It went into some completely sonically different textures and on into machine sounds and kept morphing until it was sounding like several oscillators clanging at different intervals while machine drones were rythmically running.

The Mother 32 is something special even as a single unit.

The Minilogue can do that sort of thing too, but not as easy as the Mother 32 with its patch points.

Honestly can't go wrong with either, but they are different beasts. They compliment each other!
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Well initially the reason that VA was created was to use the rather cheap CPU power available to make synthesizers sound like analog. I suppose that analog circuit ICs are now cheap enough that its almost as cheap to build a real analog.

Well initially the reason that VA was created was to use the rather cheap CPU power available to make synthesizers sound like analog. I suppose that analog circuit ICs are now cheap enough that its almost as cheap to build a real analog.
The problem with analog circuits is that they are LARGE and thus expensive, while integrated circuits are not. Plus, you need to have separate circuit per voice while DSP can work in loops with very high frequency.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

When is the next shipment to the UK? And can someone kindly keep us all informed in this thread when they are back in stock in Europe.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Stupid American Pig wrote:Well initially the reason that VA was created was to use the rather cheap CPU power available to make synthesizers sound like analog. I suppose that analog circuit ICs are now cheap enough that its almost as cheap to build a real analog.
Something like the Access Virus TI couldn't be done with analogue circuits because of the prohibitive costs. There's a reason why most analogue synths are either monophonic or have relatively simple featuresets if they are polyphonic.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

whyterabbyt wrote:
JCJR wrote:When I saw one cpu per voice on that minilogue, was first wondering what they need all the power for?
It does mean it scales up easily... the voices are fully self-contained.
Since the delay is digital. Is there any chance they can add a chorus function.

I also hear the envelopes are digital. So maybe they can add slower attack and release times in a firmware updates update.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Is the delay in fact digital? I haven't a clue. Because some complain that the delay is a little too noisy for comfort, I guessed it might be analog. Even very cheap digital delays tend to be fairly low noise and clean, compared to BBD analog delays.

Edit: If the delay time and mix can be recorded by the motion sequencer, then one could make manual chorus by setting the mix about 50/50 and then record a motion sequence by manually twiddling the delay knob at the desired speed and depth.

The delay is analog... according to a spec sheet anyway

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”