Korg Minilogue

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DJ Warmonger wrote:
Well initially the reason that VA was created was to use the rather cheap CPU power available to make synthesizers sound like analog. I suppose that analog circuit ICs are now cheap enough that its almost as cheap to build a real analog.
The problem with analog circuits is that they are LARGE and thus expensive, while integrated circuits are not.
You do know that integrated circuits can be entirely analog, dont you? Hence the use of SSM and CEM IC's in lots of the 'classic' analog polys; they made those circuits smaller and cheaper.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

pdxindy wrote:The delay is analog... according to a spec sheet anyway
From what I've read from a few sources the delay is digital. But the circuitry around it including the feedback signal is analogue.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2016/01/k ... -nutshell/
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

digital delay ... I'm skeptical...especially from the demos I've heard ...

some googling for official info hasn't proven fruitful.

IIRC, Tats said in a NAMM video that the HPF along with the feedback of the delay are analogue, the delay is digital. I personally really like the digi artifacts of the delay from what I heard! :)

3ee wrote:IIRC, Tats said in a NAMM video that the HPF along with the feedback of the delay are analogue, the delay is digital. I personally really like the digi artifacts of the delay from what I heard! :)

hmm, interesting, i'll check that out again

pdxindy wrote:The delay is analog... according to a spec sheet anyway
I was just going to ask about this

Thanks and also thanks for the help and ideas in the other thread. wasn't trying to be rude. I like to do all sorts of African and world music stuff. so the specific features from studio vision pro would be a godsend :) not to mention all the other awesome ABBA type stuff.

Live is awesome too.. just way different. all sorts of things can be done in any host but lots of composers rave about studio vision pro and the features they had in the 90's that they have not been able to find in newer daws.

JCJR wrote:Is the delay in fact digital? I haven't a clue. Because some complain that the delay is a little too noisy for comfort, I guessed it might be analog. Even very cheap digital delays tend to be fairly low noise and clean, compared to BBD analog delays.

Edit: If the delay time and mix can be recorded by the motion sequencer, then one could make manual chorus by setting the mix about 50/50 and then record a motion sequence by manually twiddling the delay knob at the desired speed and depth.
The delay is digital and sounds very similar to me to the delay in the Volca Keys, i.e. quite noisy and not clean at all. It is dirtier than BBD analog delays like the Moog or MXR but not as dirty as the Electro Harmonix's.

Thank Uncle E.

The delay is digital, but the feedback and HP filter is actually analog.

The output switch enables you to run the entire signal through the HP filter, or just the feedback.

whyterabbyt wrote:
DJ Warmonger wrote:
Well initially the reason that VA was created was to use the rather cheap CPU power available to make synthesizers sound like analog. I suppose that analog circuit ICs are now cheap enough that its almost as cheap to build a real analog.
The problem with analog circuits is that they are LARGE and thus expensive, while integrated circuits are not.
You do know that integrated circuits can be entirely analog, dont you? Hence the use of SSM and CEM IC's in lots of the 'classic' analog polys; they made those circuits smaller and cheaper.
Custom integrated circuits cost as well, especially in low-volume production.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Uncle E wrote:
JCJR wrote:Is the delay in fact digital? I haven't a clue. Because some complain that the delay is a little too noisy for comfort, I guessed it might be analog. Even very cheap digital delays tend to be fairly low noise and clean, compared to BBD analog delays.

Edit: If the delay time and mix can be recorded by the motion sequencer, then one could make manual chorus by setting the mix about 50/50 and then record a motion sequence by manually twiddling the delay knob at the desired speed and depth.
The delay is digital and sounds very similar to me to the delay in the Volca Keys, i.e. quite noisy and not clean at all. It is dirtier than BBD analog delays like the Moog or MXR but not as dirty as the Electro Harmonix's.
To me this is actually a bonus. I have plenty of clean delays if I want them. But that Volca / Monotron delay is NASTY!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:To me this is actually a bonus. I have plenty of clean delays if I want them. But that Volca / Monotron delay is NASTY!
I thought you might like that. :)

To me, it's a bit much. The Minilogue can already get dirty enough without the delay adding to it. I'm hoping it can be cleaned up by changing output settings or tweaking the HPF.

deastman wrote:But that Volca / Monotron delay is NASTY!
The monotron delay sounds like everything wonderful in a PT2399, especially underlocked. Best random noise source evar.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
deastman wrote:But that Volca / Monotron delay is NASTY!
The monotron delay sounds like everything wonderful in a PT2399, especially underlocked. Best random noise source evar.
The Monotron Delay was what started me down the path of acquiring these small, cheap synths. I had $40 in eBay bucks to spend, so I bought one and was hooked! It is ALL about the delay, and exploring every possible permutation of the limited parameter set, squeezing out every unique trick that the Monotron Delay is capable of. Its really quite meditative. Obviously I have higher expectations for the Minilogue, and it probably would have been better if the delay were less noisy, but I'm fully willing to embrace it for what it is.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

If anyone here wants the clicky one, go to GS and talk to this guy:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... h-131.html
Maybe you can haggle a good price.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”