Looking for a budget guitar preamp

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys,

I have been redoing my studio and gear setups and currently am looking for a preamp for electric guitar. Lately I have been going straight into my Pro 40 with guitar and then into amplitube 4. The results haven't been bad but haven't been great. I don't really have the budget right now to invest in a variety of preamps like I intend to down the road but just am looking for a little more color in my tone. Can I achieve this thru a DI box? I had a JMP-1 that I loved but had to sell it about a year ago. I'm looking to pick up another but just don't have that budget right now. Looking for $300ish range or less if I can do it. I'm not opposed to used or eBay.

Thanks,
Kevin
Win 7 | Dual Xeon x5680 | 48 GB RAM | Saffire Pro 40 | Yamaha HS50 monitors |Cubase 8.5 Pro|
Kevin DiGennaro

Check out Lehle gear. I use a Sunday Driver XLR with guitar and bass (+ Art Levelar).
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

khanyz wrote:Check out Lehle gear. I use a Sunday Driver XLR with guitar and bass (+ Art Levelar).
Thanks for the tip! I like the way that sounds. Really brings out the dynamics which is where I am currently falling flat.

I will look into it a bit more but impressive so far and nice price point.

Thanks,
Kevin
Win 7 | Dual Xeon x5680 | 48 GB RAM | Saffire Pro 40 | Yamaha HS50 monitors |Cubase 8.5 Pro|
Kevin DiGennaro

Have a look at the BOSS GT-001 (basically a GT-100 with minimal hardware).
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Awesome! Keep them coming! I've been a Boss fan for about 15 years now I didn't even think in that direction :d

Thanks,
Kevin

Also on the list in the FMR RNP8380
Kevin DiGennaro

theEmbark wrote:Awesome! Keep them coming! I've been a Boss fan for about 15 years now I didn't even think in that direction :d

Thanks,
Kevin

I got quite excited when I though the FMR might be within a $300 budget. Dunno about in the US but in the UK I think they're about £450.

Most of the time I use a Dave Hall DI box along with a Barber Gain Changer clone I built and occasionally other pedals. Having said that, last week I pulled out a Marshall DRP1 I'd forgotten I had and it's really good (especially for the price you can find them for on ebay). I tend to reamp or process through an amp sim so I'm not too bothered about the recorded tone.

resynthesis wrote:
theEmbark wrote:Awesome! Keep them coming! I've been a Boss fan for about 15 years now I didn't even think in that direction :d

Thanks,
Kevin

I got quite excited when I though the FMR might be within a $300 budget. Dunno about in the US but in the UK I think they're about £450.

Most of the time I use a Dave Hall DI box along with a Barber Gain Changer clone I built and occasionally other pedals. Having said that, last week I pulled out a Marshall DRP1 I'd forgotten I had and it's really good (especially for the price you can find them for on ebay). I tend to reamp or process through an amp sim so I'm not too bothered about the recorded tone.
Thanks for the note,

I usually reamp or ampsim as well but I feel like my guitars dynamics don't really come thru when I plug straight into my pro 40.

The RNP is a bit above the budget but would be a nice additional piece of gear so I am still considering it. But I will probably get some kind of DI box in the interm.

I will check it all out,
Kevin
Kevin DiGennaro

Yeah, the dynamics thing is why I use the Gain Changer pedal. For me, it's for the feel more than sound. I used to use a Behringer VT999 with a 12AU7 but that's been on (very) long-term loan for a while now.

The ART Tube MP Studio V3 is my secret weapon for using with software amp modelers. Best $80 I ever spent!
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

Hewitt Huntwork wrote:The ART Tube MP Studio V3 is my secret weapon for using with software amp modelers. Best $80 I ever spent!
I forgot about this hidden gem. Even better that they are about $60 today :D

Do you have any tracks I could hear?

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin DiGennaro

...if you have an extra $40 to spare, take a look/listen to the Joyo AC Tone.

Thanks guys!

I ordered an ART Tube MP Studio V3 last night. For $55 it's really hard to pass that up. Especially because right now I'm really more interested in saving up for some of these higher price point preamps. I will let you guys know what I think - maybe do a before and after guitar tone.

There are so many preamps out there and they all bring something different to the table it's hard to narrow it down to 1 :D. I'm hoping one day I'll be rich and I can just buy 1 of everything lol

Best regards,
Kevin
Kevin DiGennaro

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”