Roland: Biggest Product Launch Ever: 30+ Products #909day

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

KBSoundSmith wrote:
While the current offerings with ACB seem perhaps limited compared to other synths on the market by some perspectives, I think that's only a temporary situation. Once their R&D is more complete and they have more successful prototypes, they will be able to provide synths that go far beyond the capabilities of other synths on the market -- and with few or none of their disadvantages, analog or digital. I think the price/feature/value ratio will be crushing to other developers.

Could be wrong of course. But I think there is significant promise in what they are doing, and with an eye to the future, I think they are working toward a dominating long-term advantage.

Unless they pull a Roland 8) :hihi:
Perhaps... but that seems kinda speculative... I'm in the market for a good midi controller. I'm not in a hurry to buy because what I have works, but I would like better. The S8 seems like it could be an excellent midi controller in terms of the number of controls. It was a bummer for me to read it did not have aftertouch. Without aftertouch, I am just not gonna be happy with the S8 as a primary keyboard. So maybe if they come out with a non keyboard version, that might be a good controller in combination with a better keyboard.

But then, I think I might just prefer an actual controller for either less money, or for equal money give it more controller functionality (PolyAT). I can get a seaboard Rise for less money. So far at least, I'm not particularly enthused about the sounds I've heard from the System 8... Not bad, just doesn't stand out from the softsynth world. And I'm really satisfied with my softsynths. It is analog hardware that is of more interest to me as far as adding synthesis capability.

I'm just not sold on investing in the Roland ecosystem.

Both the Deep Mind 12 and the Matrixbrute look more interesting to me. Both as synths and potentially as controllers. They both have AT as well. The Matrixbrute has 3 pedal connections (1 sustain and 2 expression). I'm very curious how it might work as a midi controller.

pdxindy wrote:
KBSoundSmith wrote:
While the current offerings with ACB seem perhaps limited compared to other synths on the market by some perspectives, I think that's only a temporary situation. Once their R&D is more complete and they have more successful prototypes, they will be able to provide synths that go far beyond the capabilities of other synths on the market -- and with few or none of their disadvantages, analog or digital. I think the price/feature/value ratio will be crushing to other developers.

Could be wrong of course. But I think there is significant promise in what they are doing, and with an eye to the future, I think they are working toward a dominating long-term advantage.

Unless they pull a Roland 8) :hihi:
Perhaps... but that seems kinda speculative... I'm in the market for a good midi controller. I'm not in a hurry to buy because what I have works, but I would like better. The S8 seems like it could be an excellent midi controller in terms of the number of controls. It was a bummer for me to read it did not have aftertouch. Without aftertouch, I am just not gonna be happy with the S8 as a primary keyboard. So maybe if they come out with a non keyboard version, that might be a good controller in combination with a better keyboard.

But then, I think I might just prefer an actual controller for either less money, or for equal money give it more controller functionality (PolyAT). I can get a seaboard Rise for less money. So far at least, I'm not particularly enthused about the sounds I've heard from the System 8... Not bad, just doesn't stand out from the softsynth world. And I'm really satisfied with my softsynths. It is analog hardware that is of more interest to me as far as adding synthesis capability.

I'm just not sold on investing in the Roland ecosystem.

Both the Deep Mind 12 and the Matrixbrute look more interesting to me. Both as synths and potentially as controllers. They both have AT as well. The Matrixbrute has 3 pedal connections (1 sustain and 2 expression). I'm very curious how it might work as a midi controller.
I agree, it is speculative. I'm simply looking at it for what it could be a few years down the line. I'd speculate more, but that isn't terribly valuable. :lol: But my point is that the technological trajectory is very promising and with the proper implementation and features would take a wrecking ball to the current synth landscape.

But for where it is right now... I agree, the DM12 interests me more than the S8. Given my current setup and needs, I actually am not going to be spending any money on any of them :lol: But I do think the DM12 looks like a very complete, solid instrument, especially for the price range (getting it second hand would be really nice too -- I expect the market to be flooded with them). I think the S8 represents greater future potential, however.

KBSoundSmith wrote:
I agree, it is speculative. I'm simply looking at it for what it could be a few years down the line. I'd speculate more, but that isn't terribly valuable. :lol: But my point is that the technological trajectory is very promising and with the proper implementation and features would take a wrecking ball to the current synth landscape.
Wrecking ball huh... The S8 is woefully unable to control synths like Omnisphere or Zebra. Closed proprietary systems do not seem like the future to me.

does S8 have a tablet app? I don't remember mention of that. The touch screen mixed with a bunch of knobs/sliders/buttons seems more suited to controlling the open VST standard.

But pull out your crystal ball and lets hear your prognostications!! :tu:

Moosy_Moose wrote:Someone over at Gearslutz posted this video.
I thought some of you folks would get a good chuckle out of this :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qqKZbE96AI

:lol: hahahahaha

Finding new levels of underwhelmed....competing with Adam Sandler movies.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

So will we have to wait for August 8th next year for a Boutique TR-08? Seems silly if they made the 909 and not do an 808, right? Does that mean we will get a Boutique 606 and 707?

How 25 sliders and a touch screen is more suitable that 76 knobs and faders to control synths?

As long as the vst has midi learn any synth with a good number of controls is a Nice controller, the more controls the better.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:How 25 sliders and a touch screen is more suitable that 76 knobs and faders to control synths?

As long as the vst has midi learn any synth with a good number of controls is a Nice controller, the more controls the better.
The idea of the touch screen is you get a visual space for stuff like a softsynths MSEG. Also, it provides a place for labeling of parameters.

The problem of unlabeled knobs and sliders is you have to remember how they are mapped for each VST without a visual reference.

pdxindy wrote:
rod_zero wrote:How 25 sliders and a touch screen is more suitable that 76 knobs and faders to control synths?

The idea of the touch screen is you get a visual space for stuff like a softsynths MSEG. Also, it provides a place for labeling of parameters.

The problem of unlabeled knobs and sliders is you have to remember how they are mapped for each VST without a visual reference.
Agree on that, I have a Push and while the labeling and parameter value helps a lot the few number of controls is a very big issue, quite frustrating having to navigate so many pages.

Nevertheless for basic substractive synths with common parameters (Sylenth, diva, spire, twin2, even hive to a degree) a good number of knobs is better for tweaking.

I have made templates for lemur and while it is a nice aproach for a synth I prefer physical controls.

The ideal controller would be something like the Kontrol S series but with 64 controls.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:
pdxindy wrote:

Agree on that, I have a Push and while the labeling and parameter value helps a lot the few number of controls is a very big issue, quite frustrating having to navigate so many pages.

Nevertheless for basic substractive synths with common parameters (Sylenth, diva, spire, twin2, even hive to a degree) a good number of knobs is better for tweaking.

I have made templates for lemur and while it is a nice aproach for a synth I prefer physical controls.

The ideal controller would be something like the Kontrol S series but with 64 controls.
Maybe another 5 years and we will have a truly excellent controller... I also prefer physical controls to the touch screen... a screen seems necessary to represent stuff like drawing waveforms, MSEG's, additive oscillators etc.

NEOREV wrote:So will we have to wait for August 8th next year for a Boutique TR-08? Seems silly if they made the 909 and not do an 808, right? Does that mean we will get a Boutique 606 and 707?
Good because that 1 output on the TR-09 is not gonna cut it. What on Earth were they thinking?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:
NEOREV wrote:So will we have to wait for August 8th next year for a Boutique TR-08? Seems silly if they made the 909 and not do an 808, right? Does that mean we will get a Boutique 606 and 707?
Good because that 1 output on the TR-09 is not gonna cut it. What on Earth were they thinking?
I think its acceptable for mass market as most people wont need multiple outs when using with a DAW but Roland could do with having a pro division catering for the needs of people like us. It would be good if they offered a pro version that had all the multi outs was analogue and had a few modern touches in the same sized casing. I appreciate that the price would be much higher but I'd pay it and am sure lots of others would too.

Since Roland doesnt provides integration as Elektron OB or the Virus Ti the separate outputs via USB are useless, so the individual physical outputs should be included.
dedication to flying

Apparently the Boutiques and TR-8 have a noise issue...

http://youtu.be/rFy_sqoVvio

Tb03 cv output infos still missing?

Necrobump.

Just got a TR-09 and it fuggin' awesome.

The drums themselves may be long in the tooth, but they sound great coming from this unit. Better than any 909 sample pack I've tried. Can't comment on comparisons with a 909, but I doubt that anyone would notice in the mix. It sounds like a 909 to me!

The interface is far too cramped and only one physical output is meh (though Jeff Mills seems to only use the main output of his 909 and nobody complains).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fYMSOb7g0w

But where the TR-09 rules is portability and integration. All you need is a USB cable to have a 5 stereo inputs to you DAW, and a stereo mix output. The line-in signal also comes out over USB. The MIDI clock seems solid - I'm using it as master, with Renoise slaved and synced-up perfectly (after some latency adjustment). So it's a cinch to pipe the drums through any VST FX, add Synths and Samples, etc.

I was initially sceptical but I'll hand it to Roland on this one. It works for me.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”