Roland Boutique SE-02 ... (actual analog. roland brand, studio electronics build)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote:I think the most convincing demo I've heard is this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpKbvRVfI7Q
I guess the premise was to make the synth sound as distorted as possible in that video.

the thing is distortion useless it is analog distortion it is most times rubbish to listen to.The new UAD moog color is not bad price is o.k for what you get.

The thing with distortion is you have to tailor it to each sound to achieve what you want from it. If it's just an on/off switch, then it will almost certainly be horrible most of the time (unless we're talking about a Waldorf Rocket, of course) but when you can choose where to place it in your signal path - pre/post filter or VCA - what kind of distortion you want and how much, it gives you plenty of scope to get it just right. But without some distortion, most synth sounds are weak and boring. We even use it on sampled strings to give them some body and life and a little bit of band-filtered distortion, subtly applied, can be great when mastering, too.
chk071 wrote:I guess the premise was to make the synth sound as distorted as possible in that video.
I doubt it, it seems well judged to me. As I said, it tends to be useless most of the time if you don't do it properly. Here, it sounds to me like the oscillators are being overdriven into the filter, which is a simple thing to do with an analogue signal path and, as you can hear, it can give great results. It's one of my favourite Pulse 2 tricks and something I've tried to simulate in many of my own softsynth creations.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

The sounds in the video are fine but don't show off some of the best qualities of the synth - which is when it sounds beefy but also incredibly pure/clean and smooth. That kind of sound is perfect for ambient, for example.

There's more of a balance/range of sounds in this video:

https://youtu.be/X2KnRMukzCE

Uncle E wrote:In the US, the SE-02 is the same price as the Minilogue and both are $250 less than the Pulse 2.
In Germany The Pulse 2 is cheaper than Minilogue and SE-02. Korg Monologue is indeed cheaper than Pulse 2 and SE-02.
Current prices here (incl. 19% VAT) for some real analog hardware synths (mostly monophonic ones ) limited to those available below 750 € are :

- Roland SE-02: 599 € (not released yet...)
- Waldorf Pulse 2: 519 €
- Waldorf Rocket: 225 €
- Novation Bass Station II: 449 €
- Korg Minilogue: 629 €
- Korg Monologue: 359 €
- Korg MS-20 Mini: 659 €
- Korg ARP Odyssey module: 649 €
- Arturia Minibrute: 399 €
- Arturia Microbrute: 299 €
- Moog Minitaur: 499 €
- Doepfer Dark Energy II: 399 €
- Behringer Deepmind 6: 739 €

Personally i currently got a Waldorf Pulse 2 and a Novation Bass Station II which both sound great and got tons of features (e.g. both have a dedicated multimode filter with LPF, BPF and HPF modes).
As a Minimoog Model D replacement currently i got the Synapse Audio The Legend plugin which works perfectly as a replacement for me.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

BONES wrote:But then it would be a Wall Of Voodoo.

chk071 wrote:I guess the premise was to make the synth sound as distorted as possible in that video.
It seemed to me that they would have preferred to use a different synth, I didn't hear many sounds that I associate with Studio Electronics.
BONES wrote:The thing with distortion is you have to tailor it to each sound to achieve what you want from it. If it's just an on/off switch, then it will almost certainly be horrible most of the time (unless we're talking about a Waldorf Rocket, of course) but when you can choose where to place it in your signal path - pre/post filter or VCA - what kind of distortion you want and how much, it gives you plenty of scope to get it just right.
The Pulse 1 is my favorite for distorted synth sounds. I used to do the feedback trick with Minimoogs but they always sounded sloppy, whereas the Pulse 1 sounds controlled even when the distortion is over the top. When I then overload my Yamaha M512 mixer (which uses the same opamps as the original Japanese Boss OD-1 pedals) with it, the sound is rocking.

Should have mine by Monday. More to come...

David

this is the best demo so far. and love that K-25m with wooden panels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hd-N7nIQZc

Uncle E wrote:
It seemed to me that they would have preferred to use a different synth, I didn't hear many sounds that I associate with Studio Electronics.
Or the Minimoog, for that matter.

olikana wrote:this is the best demo so far. and love that K-25m with wooden panels
Really? That sounds like stuff I could do with any freebie softsynth, it's really very generic sounding. The most impressive thing is the way the guy plays it, not the instrument itself.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote:Really? That sounds like stuff I could do with any freebie softsynth, it's really very generic sounding. The most impressive thing is the way the guy plays it, not the instrument itself.
With all due respect, I just don't think this is the right synth for you. These are classic Studio Electronics and Minimoog sounds. You'd probably love the new Waldorf or even the Novation Peak, both of which seem amazing and much more capable of making non–standard sounds.

I played the SE-02 today and loved it. The cross mod and LFO really do add more dimension than what is possible with a Minimoog.

Another synth that impressed me, both with sound and the features. That sequencer is beefy, too bad it doesn't have mod CV out.

Either way... too many good synths in last yeras, can't decide which one to get :hihi:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Uncle E wrote:These are classic Studio Electronics and Minimoog sounds.
No they aren't, they are bog-standard synth sounds any V/A can manage. But don't worry, I sincerely doubt I'll fall for the allure of Roland's Boutique stuff again. I learned my lesson with the JP-08 and JU-06 and today I am tidying up my Minilogue and Monologue so I can take photos and put them up on eBay, too. I have my Rocket and I think it will be a very long time before something comes along to knock it off its perch. I mean, if the Pulse 2 can't manage it, what hope does anything else have?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”