Recommendations for a first MIDI Keyboard?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all!

I've been gathering up a few soft synths and getting my feet wet on my hobbyist home recording setup. Soon I'm going to be in the market for a 61 or 88 key midi controller.

Primarily I play rock/metal, but will occasionally dabble in purely electronic things like some downtempo hip-hop instrumental stuff. I'm not a pianist by trade, but I'm decent enough to fake it!

As far as my uses for the controller, I want to use it for controlling synths and also for a few things in Komplete (primarily the sampled pianos and Kontakt.) Additionally, I'd like the controller to have a set of drum pads and faders for playing virual drums and sample pads, as well as having some DAW integration for mixer/fader control.

Right now I'm considering either the new Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk2 or a Nektar Impact LX88+. The Nektar seems like it would be more versatile overall, but I also see the value in the Komplete integration with the S61 controller. Additionally, I realize there is also an NKS profile for Diva which is probably a nice bonus.

The Komplete controller is at the top of my price range, and admittedly, the lower price point of the Nektar is enticing for all that it offers.

Thoughts? Any others I should consider?

I

If you have the money, i'd get the Komplete Kontrol S61. It's supposed to have a nice keybed, which is surely WAY better than the Impact's, and i think the NKS integration is very interesting too, and a big plus is that you have two big screen to see the parameters. If it's really between those two, get the S61.

I'll admit I don't know much about MIDI controllers, but I'd go with the Kontrol S61 if I were you, if only for the easy Komplete inegration.

Though I've heard good things about the M-Audio MIDI controllers.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

I already commented on the other thread, but well I will just give you some options:

For good piano action 88 keys:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PX160BK

For pads:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MPD226

What I will warn you is that many of the controller functions go by unused because mapping and configuration tends to be time consuming. Personally a good set of keys and pads is enough.

Now between your two options the Kontrol S is the better product, good keys (the ones on the impact are horrible that's why it is so cheap), and a nice integration with NI and a little control over your DAW, if you like NI products maybe later you could a Maschine Mikro.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:I already commented on the other thread, but well I will just give you some options:

For good piano action 88 keys:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PX160BK

For pads:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MPD226

What I will warn you is that many of the controller functions go by unused because mapping and configuration tends to be time consuming. Personally a good set of keys and pads is enough.

Now between your two options the Kontrol S is the better product, good keys (the ones on the impact are horrible that's why it is so cheap), and a nice integration with NI and a little control over your DAW, if you like NI products maybe later you could a Maschine Mikro.
Hah, yeah I just replied to that. I figured the question warranted its own thread to get some more visibility.

Thanks for the recommendations!

No one mentions the Arturia 88 keylab for some reason. It has a way better keybed than the Nektar and has better/more MIDI capability than the NI. More knobs, drawbars, decent pads, simple one button snapshot load of configs. Stay away from the 61 and below though. The keybeds on those are horrible. I have a 61 and have had to super glue the key stop for 8 or 9 keys back in place. It just sits on my desk ... no travel or abuse. And I don't reach under the damn keys and pull up. So, simply releasing the keys has enough force to break the stops off. Ridiculous. But, the MIDI control center is nice and is actually a MIDI solution as opposed to the crappy/cumbersome way NI has done it. Although I obviously can't comment on the MK2, it's possible it is better now.

Don't confuse the DAW and KK integration with being a MIDI Controller. They do some of the same things, but via a different methodology. KK2 is probably the best integrated proprietary system right now. Clearly it has the best keys and extra bells and whistles. But, it is NOT a good MIDI controller, at least the MK 1 isn't.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

What is so bad about Impact's keys? My Q49 is breaking down, so it is becoming a point of interest.

SJ_Digriz wrote:No one mentions the Arturia 88 keylab for some reason. It has a way better keybed than the Nektar and has better/more MIDI capability than the NI. More knobs, drawbars, decent pads, simple one button snapshot load of configs. Stay away from the 61 and below though. The keybeds on those are horrible. I have a 61 and have had to super glue the key stop for 8 or 9 keys back in place. It just sits on my desk ... no travel or abuse. And I don't reach under the damn keys and pull up. So, simply releasing the keys has enough force to break the stops off. Ridiculous. But, the MIDI control center is nice and is actually a MIDI solution as opposed to the crappy/cumbersome way NI has done it. Although I obviously can't comment on the MK2, it's possible it is better now.

Don't confuse the DAW and KK integration with being a MIDI Controller. They do some of the same things, but via a different methodology. KK2 is probably the best integrated proprietary system right now. Clearly it has the best keys and extra bells and whistles. But, it is NOT a good MIDI controller, at least the MK 1 isn't.
The Arturia 88 looks like a beautiful controller, but it's quite pricey. It doesn't seem to be a fair comparison to the Nektar, which is 1/3 the price.

Maybe I'll look into a used one when I'm ready if I can get one for a good deal.

Zombie Queen wrote:What is so bad about Impact's keys? My Q49 is breaking down, so it is becoming a point of interest.
To be fair I think all of the current crop of sub $1000 controller keyboards are absolute shit to play. They feel awful under the fingers. The velocity sensitivity is terrible and inconsistent between keys. The aftertouch is on/off mostly instead of scaled to pressure. The mechanical mechanisms they use don't provide good playability for slides and glisses or organ shifts/hammers (keys next to the current pressed key exposes a sharp vertical edge that inhibits access from the currently pressed key because the action is end of key based anchor on a centered pivot). Black key vs white key height/action/travel is bad/inconsistent.

EDIT: and obviously this is overstated because the S series keyboards are pretty good and they are sub 1k.
Last edited by SJ_Digriz on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Backsnack wrote: The Arturia 88 looks like a beautiful controller, but it's quite pricey. It doesn't seem to be a fair comparison to the Nektar, which is 1/3 the price.

Maybe I'll look into a used one when I'm ready if I can get one for a good deal.
Well, then to be extra fair the Nektar is way cheaper than the S61 too isn't it? :)

By the way, even though I'm slamming them ... those sub $1k boards are absolutely amazing value that simply wasn't available at all not that long ago. But, good keybeds are not in the cards yet other than the S series. But again those are getting pricier and they still are not on a par with top quality digital pianos, workstations, organs and high end synths.

EDIT: I meant to add, don't let my grumpiness stop you from getting the LX. Just make sure you go play it before you buy it, or at least have a good return policy.

SJ_Digriz wrote:EDIT: and obviously this is overstated because the S series keyboards are pretty good and they are sub 1k.
Thanks for elaborating. The Kontrol one is still well out of my budget (and desk space), so shitty keys it is.

Zombie Queen wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:EDIT: and obviously this is overstated because the S series keyboards are pretty good and they are sub 1k.
Thanks for elaborating. The Kontrol one is still well out of my budget (and desk space), so shitty keys it is.
Don't sweat it too much. Really good players (of which I am not one) don't give a crap either. They'll happily bang out tunes on the crappiest mini-keys. It just reminds me of when the first smart phones came out. They had some amazing capabilities, but they were really terrible phones.

The Novation ultranova is small and has a fatar keyboard (back when novation used the good Fatar key action across all their synths/controllers), the action is quite good for the size and price.

Korg for example uses quite cheap action in stuff like the Kross and Kingkorg.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:The Novation ultranova is small and has a fatar keyboard (back when novation used the good Fatar key action across all their synths/controllers), the action is quite good for the size and price.

Korg for example uses quite cheap action in stuff like the Kross and Kingkorg.
Good points. I don't want to belabor the point and I'm not trying to be argumentative. But, saying Fatar keyboard doesn't mean "good" keyboard. They make really horrifically cheap crappy ones too. :D You are right though, that their are from time to time, budgetish offerings that have better boards than others use. Of course even the word better is totally subjective. I've played a zillion good pianos and the difference in playability between them is staggering. And what feels good under my hands may be total shite to someone else ... and vice versa.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”