People Giving Up on Eurorack (me included)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Acid Mitch wrote:
zerocrossing wrote: (I'd spend all my time patching and none really making music), sent me running back to Reaktor's Blocks.
Patchng gets quicker the more you do it.
How come you didn’t like patching real modular but don’t mind patching Reaktor blocks ?
Two main reasons. First off, I could just "see" it better in software. The visual noise of all the wires bugged me and I constantly felt like I was asking, "what is this doing again?" Second, when I make a Reaktor patch, I can then make a bunch of snapshots of it to come back and use over and over. I like to jump around from project to project, and that is really helpful.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

SJ_Digriz wrote:You need to reference the OP, my points are clear in relation to what the OP was asking. You are trying to take them in your own direction for some reason
In the interests of not adding another tangential and pointless argument to KVR, and not repeating myself, I'll just stop here.

foosnark wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:You need to reference the OP, my points are clear in relation to what the OP was asking. You are trying to take them in your own direction for some reason
In the interests of not adding another tangential and pointless argument to KVR, and not repeating myself, I'll just stop here.
hey, I wasn't trying to pick a fight or trying to get you to stop posting. It just seemed to me like you were trying to interpret my posts in relation to "how are modulars used in music". That's an entirely different thing than the OP question of "why do people give up on modular". No animosity intended.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

There is so much irony in this thread. Due to not having the funds or the space to put together a Eurorack setup that I'd be content with, I've stayed away from the platform. But I'd give anything to be able to put one together. Been programming modulars in software land long enough to know I could get the most out of Eurorack that's possible. But due to money and space, it'll never happen.

Oh the ironies.

wagtunes wrote:There is so much irony in this thread. Due to not having the funds or the space to put together a Eurorack setup that I'd be content with, I've stayed away from the platform. But I'd give anything to be able to put one together. Been programming modulars in software land long enough to know I could get the most out of Eurorack that's possible. But due to money and space, it'll never happen.

Oh the ironies.
You may not realize how much irony is actually there. Sadly, many of these guys are high school and college kids .. or worse young adults leveraging every dime they DON'T have to feed the modular beast. That's another thing I believe causes the Euro turnover ... "Uh-Oh, rent due" ... You'd be amazed at the number of used deals are basically wrapped around "need to pay some bills". Mind blowing really.

SJ_Digriz wrote:
wagtunes wrote:There is so much irony in this thread. Due to not having the funds or the space to put together a Eurorack setup that I'd be content with, I've stayed away from the platform. But I'd give anything to be able to put one together. Been programming modulars in software land long enough to know I could get the most out of Eurorack that's possible. But due to money and space, it'll never happen.

Oh the ironies.
You may not realize how much irony is actually there. Sadly, many of these guys are high school and college kids .. or worse young adults leveraging every dime they DON'T have to feed the modular beast. That's another thing I believe causes the Euro turnover ... "Uh-Oh, rent due" ... You'd be amazed at the number of used deals are basically wrapped around "need to pay some bills". Mind blowing really.
Well, for me, the space issue is a bigger issue than the money issue. I really don't have any place to put it. So even if I was rich, unless I moved into a new home, I'd still be unable to take advantage of it.

IMO it doesn use that much space, well in fact it uses the space you want to give it, for example a makenoise shared system is powerfull and not that big.

But I also don't like dealing with the cables, recordings and stuff.
dedication to flying

I'm sort in the middle: I have some modular pieces (two Mother-32, some diy modules to complete the Mothers, some MoogerFoogers), but I mostly use them for classic subtractive synthesis... I'm not giving up on them, but I'm expanding very slowly, probably because I try to keep it as much diy as possible (and I lack the time/will to build stuffs)... and because I love using a fixed architecture synth, with memories.
While I have some analog synths without memory, I really like being able to switch from patch to patch with no effort... it's something you value when you have limited time for music (maybe late in the evening, after a day of work) and you want to be able to do something different from the previous day without having to worry about setting up things... I don't really want to deal with a lot of techincal details, I just want to play...

I like the great level of control I can have on the tone by using a modular (by choosing the pieces of the signal path that suit me rather than something decided by someone else, or by using things that are not avaible in a fixed architecture synth), the ability to do routings that are not easy/possible on a fixed synth architecture (even if my modular is always patched as in a standard fixed subtractive architecture) ... that's why I'm not giving up. But my fixed architecture synths are here to stay and I use them a lot (they take the big share in my music).

Also, when I'm using a modular, my mind enters a technical/nerd/programmer approach (and I guess that working in IT accentuates this...), which takes me away from music making, from my creative side (I start focusing on the machines rather than on the music). I guess this is not something unknown to people giving up on modulars.
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

I honestly believe that one big reason for the success of the Model D is that the fixed architecture was just feature rich enough to cover a lot of creative ground, but just simple enough so that it didn't take long to manually recall patches from memory. If you ever watch someone that knows it fairly well, they can fly between patches. Even if they aren't "sound designer" experts. I've never seen anyone be that fast on a modular even if they are experts.

Just out of curiosity, what can a fully stocked Eurorack system run? Are we talking $10,000, $20,000? What are we looking at?

Brexitrack
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

wagtunes wrote:Just out of curiosity, what can a fully stocked Eurorack system run? Are we talking $10,000, $20,000? What are we looking at?
That's a hard question to answer, because it is hard to define "fully stocked" in terms of modular.
But, if you want the basics of VCO, VCF, EG, VCA and some utility modules, you can probably get a decent setup for under $1500. Less if you really want a paired down system. It is VERY easy to spend more than $10k. You would have a fairly complete, flexible setup at the $20k point. That's speaking in Euro format. If you went Buchla, $20k gets you the owners manual and a patch cable. :hihi:

SJ_Digriz wrote:$20k gets you the owners manual and a patch cable. :hihi:
But the manual is only a PDF you have to print yourself. :D

elassi wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:$20k gets you the owners manual and a patch cable. :hihi:
But the manual is only a PDF you have to print yourself. :D
Was going to say something about that. I don't think that you get a printed manual at that price. Also, you don't get to choose the cable color either, that costs extra.

Here's a traditional base Roland setup in Euro. $2k. You can do many types of synthesis with this thing. But, no analog sequencer. No switching (well not in an obvious way anyhow), no dividers/multipliers etc.. etc..

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... GYQAvD_BwE

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”