E-Mu Morpheus vs. Roland JV-2080

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Rameses wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:So, which bit of the 19" metal case is it that makes such a crucial difference to the sound?
Are you trolling? :D What are you even trying to say? That a Rack Unit Sound Module is equal to a generic computer running a vst? I hope not.
I'd say indeed that a physical Roland SoundCanvas hardware unit is simular to it's VST version. It's a digital machine. Midi commands go in and sound comes out, with a CPU doing all the simple calculation work. That is why it's so easy to make them both.
Last edited by BertKoor on Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote:
Rameses wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:So, which bit of the 19" metal case is it that makes such a crucial difference to the sound?
Are you trolling? :D What are you even trying to say? That a Rack Unit Sound Module is equal to a generic computer running a vst? I hope not.
I'd say indeed that a physical Roland SoundCanvas hardware unit is simular to it's VST version. It's a digital machine. Midi commands go in and sound comes out, with a CPU doing all the simple calculation work.
It isn't that simple though and this doesn't substantiate the claim that sofware isn't any worse than hardware in general at all. :D And why are you posting this in this thread lol
For DISCOGRAPHY, see К Ɱ Ԏ Ꮇ Ꮩ Ꭶ Ꭵ Ꮳ

Please don't feed the troll... Look at other posts from OP :wink:

Gregorius wrote:Please don't feed the troll... Look at other posts from OP :wink:
Please don't confuse other people reading this.

Rameses wrote:It isn't that simple though
Sorry to rain on your parade, but it IS that simple. Hardware (rack) units don't contain any pixie dust. The machines you're talking about are just computers running software that could as well be VSTi's inside your DAW.
Rameses wrote:and this doesn't substantiate the claim that sofware isn't any worse than hardware in general at all.
Claim by who? With what arguments exactly?
Rameses wrote:And why are you posting this in this thread lol
Because I felt it is relevant to it. You're claiming hardware is better, but you lack experience with it. So you're just full of assumptions which MUST be challenged if you want to know what's true and on what basis.

Rameses wrote:
BertKoor wrote:
Rameses wrote:
I'd say indeed that a physical Roland SoundCanvas hardware unit is simular to it's VST version. It's a digital machine. Midi commands go in and sound comes out, with a CPU doing all the simple calculation work.
It isn't that simple though and this doesn't substantiate the claim that sofware isn't any worse than hardware in general at all. :D And why are you posting this in this thread lol
So what hardware synths and modules do you currently own,and which is your best module or synth ?

BertKoor wrote:
Rameses wrote:
I'd say indeed that a physical Roland SoundCanvas hardware unit is simular to it's VST version. It's a digital machine. Midi commands go in and sound comes out, with a CPU doing all the simple calculation work. That is why it's so easy to make them both.
How did I get into this thread?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
BertKoor wrote:
Rameses wrote:
You fell down a rabbit hole.

dellboy wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
BertKoor wrote:
Rameses wrote:
You fell down a rabbit hole.
Dang, I hate it when that happens.

BertKoor wrote:
Rameses wrote:It isn't that simple though
Sorry to rain on your parade, but it IS that simple. Hardware (rack) units don't contain any pixie dust. The machines you're talking about are just computers running software that could as well be VSTi's inside your DAW.
Rameses wrote:and this doesn't substantiate the claim that sofware isn't any worse than hardware in general at all.
Claim by who? With what arguments exactly?
Rameses wrote:And why are you posting this in this thread lol
Because I felt it is relevant to it. You're claiming hardware is better, but you lack experience with it. So you're just full of assumptions which MUST be challenged if you want to know what's true and on what basis.
I rather would assume that you don't have any experience with Rack Units, because I have. Please stay at least reasonable with your presentation, because one thing being better than another one doesn't have anything to do with magic.

Which part of the 19" metal chassis makes it sound better again? :nutter:

The additional digital-to-analog conversion before it hits your audio interface, and then analog-to-digital conversion in your audio interface, of course. :) That's one additional conversion that doesn't happen in plugins.

Unless you're using the digital outputs (if they exist), then, if code is ported well, there will be no audible differences between the hardware and software (JV-1080 plugin being a good example here - except it's more of a XV-5080 than JV-1080).

EvilDragon wrote:The additional digital-to-analog conversion before it hits your audio interface, and then analog-to-digital conversion in your audio interface, of course. :)
Those extra reconstruction filters are what that makes the harmonic spectrum better by adding the extra 'complete', right?

Or extra colored, depending on the age of the unit. DACs weren't always perfect in the 90s, and much less so before that.

EvilDragon wrote:DACs weren't always perfect in the 90s, and much less so before that.
Oh, I do know that... ;) I think my views on the irony of the artefacts of legacy technology limitations being lauded and/or fetishised are relatively transparent.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”