IK MUltimedia UNO Synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
UNO Synth

acid alex wrote:I wonder if IK will release any more of these units, maybe a little drum machine. Would be cool.
In the Soundmachines design/architecture video Davide said "obviously this will be only the beginning - I guess", which I took to mean he is (or expects to be) collaborating on something else with IKM:

https://youtu.be/55R510r1b_8?t=2m15s

SLiC wrote:
OneOfManyPauls wrote:I think we've reached peak strawman.

I doubt it :-)

Having followed this threads the 2 camps seem to be 'its a cool little musical gadget' or 'there are better cool little musical gadgets for the money'.

I don't think anyone is saying this is the ultimate synth, and I could not give a monkeys about the signal path (love my 100% digital OP-1 :D)
I'm in the third camp. It IS a cool little musical gadget AND I think that there are better cool little gadgets for the money, or, that I think that $200 is better spent elsewhere.

I think that it's really unfortunate that they left off FM as the filter sounds really good. I would like this much better with VCO interaction and filter FM. As a module, I don't really need the sequencer or a keyboard. I would rather see more knobs or more control pages.

I think the midi out with the sequencer has the potential to be really powerful. If we can get the UNO sequences spitting out the midi notes the potential for some interesting layering with other synths may be worthwhile. But I hear you. FM and more knobbage would be welcome.

ghettosynth wrote: I'm in the third camp. It IS a cool little musical gadget AND I think that there are better cool little gadgets for the money, or, that I think that $200 is better spent elsewhere.
Think I'm in the 3rd camp as well... I think it sounds good and for the price, you can't really go wrong. So in that respect, it's definitely a cool wee gadget.

However, it doesn't have all the features I'd be after. And there are a few omissions (as was pointed out to me). So I'd rather spend more money and get the Pulse II or summat'.

That said... I think people who like this type of thing will be pretty pleased with it.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I Wonder the scale function also works on MIDI notes from an external keyboard, and the sequencer is transposing from MIDI?
ImageImage

ghettosynth wrote:I'm in the third camp. It IS a cool little musical gadget AND I think that there are better cool little gadgets for the money, or, that I think that $200 is better spent elsewhere.
There is a fourth camp - I think it's a cool little gadget but, yes, there are definitely alternatives around the same price point BUT what sells it for me is the size and design. i.e. Even though there may be better synths for similar money, the cool factor of this is what will probably sell it to me (as long as it sounds as good in person as it seems to from the demos). Osc sync and/or FM would have made it a no-brainer but I think it might have just enough to offer to make it worthwhile.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

That "other audio forum" stopped by for a video, I didn't see one from KVR so here's the one from Gearslutz :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1xJJ-vaQVk

btw, for anyone who missed it in the teasers, this was the clearest image of the circuit board - right click to open the image and view it at maximum resolution.

Here's a newly uploaded video of Sound Machines Davide going through the Uno with DivKid Ben at Superbooth:

https://youtu.be/CrtGfQ0X9Ec?t=0m1s

I think Davide made a mistake when he said they were "classic 5 stage" envelopes - unless there really is a delay or hold stage lurking in there too, which seems doubtful.

If anything, it's more likely to be a start level parameter and it's probably fixed at zero.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

would anyone class a start level fixed at zero as an envelope stage in its own right, rather than it just being the start point of the attack stage? that's just a classic 4 stage ADSR envelope (which is the language sound machines use to describe this in their NS1nanosynth and MODULÖR114 products).

I'm itching to get my hands on the manual or midi implementation chart for the UNO to see what non-front panel options are lurking in this device.

No, but the IC they are using might allow for it as a fifth stage, which would be why the hardware designer might have accidentally called it a 5 stage envelope.You need to read comments in context.

You know that on UNO's front panel you can only adjust decay and sustain? You have to make changes to Attack and Release remotely through the editor software, a bit like the way Waldorf have a few parameters on the Rocket you can only access via software? It could be a bit limiting but if you save a few "init" patches with different Attack and Release settings, it will probably be easy enough to deal with.

BONES wrote:No, but the IC they are using might allow for it as a fifth stage, which would be why the hardware designer might have accidentally called it a 5 stage envelope.You need to read comments in context.
The envelopes do not use an "IC" in the sense that they are almost certainly not analog. Money is on them being software envelopes that are mixed with other modulators in the software domain. There's no reason to do otherwise in a low cost synth like this that is touting its "all analog signal chain." You've already given up "all analog," so there's little value to doing hardware envelopes at this price point.

You do understand that the CPU in your computer is an IC, right? It's something far more associated with digital technology than with analogue. It's the perfect generic term in this instance because it could mean anything. It is also completely and utterly irrelevant to the point being made so why bring it up at all unless you are keen to tout your ignorance for the world to see?

BONES wrote:You do understand that the CPU in your computer is an IC, right? It's something far more associated with digital technology than with analogue. It's the perfect generic term in this instance because it could mean anything. It is also completely and utterly irrelevant to the point being made so why bring it up at all unless you are keen to tout your ignorance for the world to see?
Of course a CPU is an IC. But, no, it's not the perfect term, it's nonsense. It's one of THOSE sentences.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”