A Sound Module with unique sounds ?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello forum ! I don’t know much about Sound Module, so I’m turning over you for my question:
Is there any Sound Module with unique sounds/ instruments ?
I’ve searched on the internet bu I didn’t find any informations about this, so I’m gonna explain.
I’m not looking for any "over realistic sounds", I don’t care much about this, but for a Module that would have some intruments that doesn’t really exists in any VST plugin or other Module.
For exemple, I know that the Roland Edirol SD-90 has some unique sounds (like the romantic tp or Reed Romance (well, this one has already appeared in older version of the module, but I still consider it as unique)).
So here is my point, I’d be interested in buying a Sound Module that sounds unique. And I’d also like one who hasn’t been used by too much musicians (so not very popular would be better).
I hope you understood me with my poor english, and thanks in advance for your help and advises !

What budget range are you looking at? At the lower price range there is the Emu Proteus 2000. There is still no VST that has its Z-plane filters.
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/emu-proteus-2000
At the higher price range you could look into the Yamaha FS1R. I don't think there's a VST with its combination of expanded FM algorithms and formant shaping.
These are just two that popped into my head because I recently sold a FS1R and have a EMU Command Station which uses the same synthesis engine as the Proteus. Both can give unique sounds and neither really got very popular.

Peavey DPM: V2 or V3.
Sample/Phase Distortion synthesis.

As far as the Emu, I would only consider Morpheus and Ultra Proteus as their unique synths now.

Thanks you for your awnsers ! It really helped me, and these modules all sounds interesting.
By the way, do these modules have some uniques "presets". I’m not really against tweaking the sounds, but it would definetely help. Or well, are there any modules with unique presets ? That should be my last question

You might need to verify this but the Emu's should have a create random patch function. All you have to do is navigate to it and hit enter until you get a sound you like and save it. I've created many unique patches that way on the Command Station.

All the modules mentioned in the thread should have some unique sounding presets due to the unique elements of their synth engines.

So long as you dont use presets your sounds will always be unique
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Another one to look at is the Ensoniq Fizmo but it is more on the rare and expensive side.
https://tapeop.com/interviews/bonus/fiz ... r-was-and/

jijigri wrote:By the way, do these modules have some uniques "presets". I’m not really against tweaking the sounds, but it would definetely help. Or well, are there any modules with unique presets ? That should be my last question
Unique and preset is by definition a contradiction! If you want unique sounds any programmable synthesizer can create them, but you have to make them yourself...
Any rompler like the proteus line I would not consider a good tool for unique sounds. Their character will remain even if you tweak some parameters. A sampler with your own samples recorded in the kitchen would definitely come closer...

Tj Shredder wrote:Unique and preset is by definition a contradiction! If you want unique sounds any programmable synthesizer can create them, but you have to make them yourself...
Any rompler like the proteus line I would not consider a good tool for unique sounds. Their character will remain even if you tweak some parameters. A sampler with your own samples recorded im the kitchen would definitely come closer...
+1 ... the whole point of "romplers" is their generic sounds.

I looked around quite a bit on Waldorf Blofeld on youtube and found incredible libraries to buy for them. I found the unit dodgy to work with myself, so got rid of it - but really good stuff out there. Good crossmodulations available - so a lot can be done for a handy man.

I also heard a lot of stuff listening to Behringer Deep(something) that I did not hear before. They are now available as modules too, I think.

Roland Integra 7 with 6000 or so presets will probably work just fine.

Everything that is sold is probably used somewhere - so I think if you focus on making unique musical content rather than sound, it will work out fine - nobody will care. I mean - eveybody has heard a violin, trumpet or guitar or piano - and it does not make music less desirable.
- no, I heard trumpet before, sorry, won't listen
:D

It's about performance just as much. So listen to Bosse Broberg or Maynard Ferguson and tell me you were not touched by what they did on trumpet.

A while ago I listened to some incredible albums of modern artists - that seemed to be produced ITB entirely. Then I put on an album of Rosanne Cash, and session musicians all over - and what came out floored everything else I heard before. This was alive and vibrant. Real instruments performed by real people. This is what it's all about.

A certain sound can inspire though, to create something from it. You fool around on various instruments - and find a good guitar or bass sound, or cool beat on drums. But in the end it's what you create from that inspiration that matters - not the sound itself so much.

Good luck in your search....

For quickly getting unique sounds, being able to layer 4 or more sounds in one instance of a software instrument, followed by 4 or more effects on each layer, is a good start. So a multi-timbral instrument, be it synth or rompler, both, or some combo
of both, having it's own multi-effects, and a couple additional multi-effect plugins, will do nicely.

Such beasts exist, IK Multimedia's SampleTank 3 coupled with their Syntronic synth will provide a great range of sounds and effects.
SampleTank is 16 part multi-timbral, and has a nice effects
selection to chain on each layer, and on the master output.
It also can import the syntronic sounds, and there are free versions
of both to get started, so you can test adequately. With 16 layers, your creativity may be well tested. Spend a dozen hours at it,
you won't regret the learning!

Someone masterful with an effects chain, who knows
a lot of sounds, and can 'hears things', can do wonders
with a quality rompler, modifying the bread&butter sounds.
Tantra is a fun multi-effect app.

Another tool for uniquness, is a great software synth with a great randomizer. Oatmeal is a fine free synth with an excellent randomizer. Spend a day just cranking out new sounds...you'll
run out of names for them in short order, the names it creates
for new sounds will leave you clueless ater the first ten!!!.
See these for historic kvr randomizer suggestions:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=298464

viewtopic.php?p=5349594

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=318469

Firebird, and quite a few others in the mentions, are now free!
Cheers

Using even the venerable old XG soundset, with about 400 non-drum sounds, layering 3 or 4 of them in creative ways can produce
combos not yet conceived of. Gaining familiarity with a wide range of sounds and effects takes time, but can lead to innovative re-purposing of sounds we hear commonly
in modern music productions.
Cheers

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”