Have you sold your Hardware synths and regretted it

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thread necrophillia, I guess it has it's place...

There are synths I reminisce about when someone else posts something about them or when a thread like this appears, but then I remember the whole history and don't regret moving on from them at all. Especially now that the Hardware Keyboards and VSTs do everything they did and more without any of the things that kind of made them a PITA. I've had Moogs, ARPS, Korgs, and the usual suspects of non-synth keyboards.

The ones that tweak my memories the most though are:
My Hohner ClavinetD-6; KorgK1; ARP Axxe; MemoryMoog; Kawai K4.
More history than sound, I made more money with the two mono synths and a Rhodes than any of the rest of them.
Out of the newer stuff I've had, I miss my Novation XStation a little, but not enough to go looking for another one.
What I have now covers everything they did and more without any of the transient noise and servicing they required.

I can see this is one of those threads that will probably be revived eternally.

I've regretted purchasing hardware. I've never really regretted selling any.

(Although: I gave my mostly-dead microMoog to my brother who knew a guy who was going to fix it for him in exchange for some art. We never saw it again.)

I still own most of the hardware synths I've picked up over the years. The only one I sold that I wish I had kept was a KORG Poly 61. I needed the money at the time. I intend to add to my collection later this year ... got my eye on a couple of things. :)

I sold and bought various synths over the last 20 years but I went totally virtual around 10 years ago or so. But then last year I regretted I had sold them so I re-purchased them - 12 in all. It was a buzz doing it at the time. But I think of the 12 there are probably only 2 or 3 which aren't available as VSTi's. Technics WSA1 Acoustic Modelling Synthesizer , Casio VZ10M and Roland D110. I also have Korg Prophecy which probably hasn't been modelled yet.The Yamaha TX81Z and FB01 have their own character but probably can be recreated using FM8.
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

In the past, especially around 2004-2006 i purchased and sold many hardware synths and currently besides a shitload of plugins i own a Yamaha Motif ES 7 (since 2005), a Korg Wavestation EX (since 2004), Waldorf Pulse 2, Waldorf Blofeld desktop (with SL upgrade) and a Moog slim Phatty. Maybe willö sell the Phatty this year.

Currently mostly interested in Waldorf hardware. Streichfett should be next one.

The hardware synths i regret selling are Roland Jupiter 8 (with MIDI), Moog Minimoog model D, Waldorf Microwave XT and Roland D-50. Mostly miss the Jupiter and i really kick myself in teh ass for selling it.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ive sold most of my hardware synths and several eventide processors.
(jupiter 6, Alesis A6, MS20, Evolver, ATC-x, SE-1x, and more)

My day-to-day production kit is hardware free.
- Dell laptop, Panorame P6, Ni maschine Studio, rme babyface.
For me i can work a lot faster and i can have my dell with me everywhere (plus i have a lot of free time at work).

But i have a small hardware-only/no-midi jam setup, but just for fun. (Juno60, Tr909, Sh09, stagepiano)

Listen to one of my recent tracks/projects:
https://soundcloud.com/denondroit/silent-original-mix
Last edited by jumper24 on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I am not sure if "miss" is the correct word. There is so much I can do now that I could not do then.

Some synths I really enjoyed-

Korg Poly800- Someone said this was cheesy. I disagree. It was warm and felt more analog than any other digital keyboard I have owned. I think it was ahead of its time and would have benefited from a larger programming surface. Price-wise, it was a steal!

Korg Mono/Poly- Tweak central! So much to do with the surface of this thing. The sound was/is among the best ever. So rich. No MIDI makes it unusable except in its software form (which I have in Reason, iPad, and Legacy versions, ha ha ha...I have the Kronos but it is Polysix and MS20 only.

Ensoniq SQ1- Some people don't like this keyboard/rompler. I did. It was a new take on an M1 and brought some new sounds to the table via transwaves...at least I think it was called that, ha!

Ensoniq Mirage- Gritty and easy. I do NOT mish the mush of the keesh.

Casio CZ-101- Another "new" sounding synth of its time. And I liked it a WHOLE lot.

Kurzweil K2000- Would not want it now, but I could break out some David Foster junk on this thing at the time, ha ha ha ha ha ha!

I owned a half working Prophet so I didn't have a good experience with it till it showed up in software form. Same with Minimoog. It had shorts all in it so half the time I got nothing.

jumper24 wrote:Hear one of my tracks here from a recently project:
https://soundcloud.com/denondroit/silent-original-mix
In case nobody has told you yet, you've got a woman's voice :hihi:

Regarding the topic, I have only had two hardware synths, and I didn't like either one. So I never regretted selling the Roland JX-8P and the MC-505. But I would love to have different hardware, though. It is not as if I preferred software over hardware, despite being more practical and cheaper...

I've never sold any of my synths, although I did give a Clavinova and FB01 away...maybe the MT32 also because i can't find it..I DO regret the late 80's trading a Fender Mustang for a Casio 101.

Alesis Andromeda
Waldorf XTK
Virus b initially, until the Virus TI became stable
Maybe Waldorf Q a little bit

That's about it, after owning many, many hardware synths.

My life with mostly software synths is very good.

Generally don't miss any of them. Once in a great while I miss the Juno 106 to sit down and compose with but Sylenth and TAL software makes me forget...

Contrary to what no_barcode says, Software has been there for many years and in fact is a no-brainer for creative music making. Of course you need some knobs and I have Maschine Studio, Push, Panorama P4, Xtempo POK and the Steinberg CMC series to twiddle.

Partial list of Hardware below that I don't miss.

Got rid of:
Kurzweil 2500/2600X
Juno 60
Juno 106
Virus keys B
Novation Supernova
Korg Karma
Korg M1/T3
MKS70
Roland Space Echo 201 re
Ensoniq DP 4
Tascam 320 B
Ensoniq VFX-SD (Later bought an SD-1 witch I still have)
MiniMoog
and more I forget...

I had a Teisco 110F that I gave away, still think I maybe shouldn't have done that :D But I wouldn't swap access to all the great (free) VST synths for having that Teisco back either.

The one I miss a little bit is strangely enough my DX7. But again not enough to go hunting to get one (probably stupidly cheap). Oh, my Siel Orchestra II, that one I wouldn't mind to get back; those strings are lush. And my old Phillips Philicorda.... oh well.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

I still have some of my old synths as well but most are well gone years ago. I could have sampled some of them but I didn't really care back then and now I buy libraries made with synths I had in the past. A bit sad but that's it :)
Give me samples. More samples!

That's really a good question.

One thing I miss about the hardware synths was the hardware.

Sequential Circuits Prophet V had some nice wood on it as did my Memory Moog and Synclavier.

This meant that each one was unique because the grains of the wood all looked different.

I really liked the Korg M1 but was able to replace that with the legacy version.

The DX7 was a very interesting synth it that it was capable of MUCH more then pretty piano sounds.

The Synclavier was capable of so many thing, (recording mult-track, sampling, great sound) but now much can be accomplished with modern tools.

The D-50 STILL sounds unique and not much can compare for that exact sound.

But the Wood, the wood.... :)

PatchAdamz wrote:But the Wood, the wood.... :)

No longer in working order, but still have it...

...and now also in software, which IS in working order :hihi:
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”