What is the volume of samples should be used to build my instrument?

Official English support for: maizesoft.cn
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

HI. Builds own instrument but...
If the samples are normalized to 0dB (volume) after the export of the instrument when I play several notes at once (chord) - the sound is distorted.

If the samples are normalized to -6dB (volume) after the export of the instrument when I play a single note - the sound is very quiet.

What is the volume of samples should be used to build my instrument?

Well, you certainly don't want to normalize your samples to 0 dB! That's like filling a glass of water to the absolute top and being shocked when moving the glass results in spilled water. ;)

You can normalize or record your audio at any volume level. I suggest making sure the highest peaks appear anywhere in the range -12 to -6 dB. Use the volume settings (per sample, per group, and per instrument) to increase the volume to a reasonable level from there. Remember that recording audio at a very quiet level and then adding lots of gain will result in a raised noise-floor, so try to record audio at a reasonably high volume (like -21 to -6 dB). Be very careful not to push past -3 dB or you may risk hitting 0 dB and have a distorted signal.

Samulis wrote:Well, you certainly don't want to normalize your samples to 0 dB! That's like filling a glass of water to the absolute top and being shocked when moving the glass results in spilled water. ;)

You can normalize or record your audio at any volume level. I suggest making sure the highest peaks appear anywhere in the range -12 to -6 dB. Use the volume settings (per sample, per group, and per instrument) to increase the volume to a reasonable level from there. Remember that recording audio at a very quiet level and then adding lots of gain will result in a raised noise-floor, so try to record audio at a reasonably high volume (like -21 to -6 dB). Be very careful not to push past -3 dB or you may risk hitting 0 dB and have a distorted signal.
This is it. I normalized at -6db most of the time, unless I want the sample to saturate, then it will be normalized at -1db (especially for percussive samples). Adding velocity amp range controls helps a lot too.

Return to “Maizesoft”