bong vst

Official support for: xoxos
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cron wrote:than say,
:hihi: no stranger to rhetorical discourse..

snare snappy is one thing i've managed to avoid adding a highpass knob for, so far.. the highpass cutoff is fixed at like an octave or something below the bandpass cutoff.. it sounds good to me.. the extra 6dB off the low end gives it a ~'cinematic' presence that makes it sound well mixed without processing. the fancy snare (snares come in fancy and trivial) is too easy to pour a bucket of params on (eg. one could add half a dozen params for asymm clipping alone) so every gram of restraint counts.

got these for y'all today..
http://www.xoxos.net/temp/snare_eg.wav

trying a method of generating inharmonic partials for use as the snare oscillator base.. will need a pitch envelope of course. one degree of variance, a few positions are more harmonic than others (eg. the last one sounds a bit tonal), thinking i've found myself another algorithm. i like that the fundamental is often quieter than the partials, good for drums.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

voices are written in c++, double precision. params are all 0-1 so that the code can be easily ported to other platforms.

apart from sliders and the SE drum trigger module (midi works nicer with jeff's modules for the poly resourcing) i'll need to do a 5 minute module to assign the midi keys, and that's all that's inside the vst.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

xoxos wrote:the fancy snare (snares come in fancy and trivial) is too easy to pour a bucket of params on (eg. one could add half a dozen params for asymm clipping alone) so every gram of restraint counts.
Well, when you put it that way... :shock:

http://www.xoxos.net/temp/snare_eg2.wav

above with a generic noise envelope on it. the 4th hit i consider a dud as the partials sound harmonic... the tone control for this algo changes the oscillator ratio ranging from roughly 0.55 to 0.85, around 0.75 and 0.66 you get these simpler "more electronic sounding" timbres.

the mass of midrange partials gives it a certain application for some snare sounds. as is this model needs something to improve the punchyness of the attack.

providing several modes/models is one way of making up for the limited parameterisation.. eg. each model has its own pitch envelope modulation. adding params for pitch depth, rate, amount to each oscillator is the complex thing that won't be happening here.

well, if it had 40 knobs and basically made the same sound, it would seem a bit indulgent.

listening to this algorithm, i personally think it'd be keen with a narrow peak filter to tap into the midranges' "most emulative sounding" frequencies. can be done post.

purported life of a developer, episode n

stuck a bridged T oscillator on that for the fundamental, added some punch and the rest of the stuff. "can't wait" (i really can) to get it to ya so you can use it and get it. been about two months now, say 85% finished.

fun thing about being one is eg. watching the thread views climb in conjunction with posting audio.. i can crawl along at a dozen thread views a day then we're doing 400 a day. for this forum? get serious.

i remember in 2011 when apparently (for the millionth time) everyone on kvr was asleep. for weeks, my posts in the instruments forum were getting a thousand views in 20 minutes. i finally wrote to ben and co. about it and what do you know, it stopped. if you think there will *ever* be a public admission.. "hey sorry xoxos, it looked like someone was trying to do some shit to you, and we noticed". can you do that for me?

i just repeat it to myself and cry myself to sleep. 900 isn't like a whole lot comparatively, but it's way more than natural/real. i've been a member for.. 11 years now? i'm not going to notice this??

hey everybody, here's my shit, come and look at it. because, you want to be prepared to handle whatever i come up with. but also, under no conditions, do you want to have any genuine interest in this product beyond being "alert" for it.. lol.

so, this is the manner in which i control the entire universe.

:party: look, there's my wizard hat.

one may perceive some herbal advocacy in my latest advertising schem- erm, presentation. this is because herb is so expensive that i wish to associate an air of glamour with my product line.. use them and you can imagine you can also afford to smoke pot. pure opportunism on my part.

coulda done a bit on development and hrh. but, talking, such a waste of time.

in order to accomodate the requisite hours of near motionlessness i am developing a martial art. i based it on mimicing the motions of plants.

no, seriously. the first step is rooting to the earth, which is foundational toning and balance. grip the planet in your toes like a beach ball and squeeze. plant kung fu.

got half a script and a score for "high kingdom: the legend of pothead master".
http://www.xoxos.net/music/phmtheme.mp3

stoner, spends two months making a bong.

When will bong be in beta testing?

Tony Ostinato wrote:the bible says you should play trumpet, but none of these cats can play at all.

xoxos wrote: in order to accomodate the requisite hours of near motionlessness i am developing a martial art. i based it on mimicing the motions of plants.
There will be any instructional video about this topic?
Maybe something like this? :hihi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czH6bYe0w3I

post eaten when forums were down for maintenance. i've got things i'd rather do than writing things twice.

Just want to let you know that I get more and more better results out of T-Osc. I analyzed some Goldbaby 808 kicks and since then I know how to get a useful kick out of it. Especially the v> parameter is pretty sick (with d1, d2, , dc, i & amp as a mod). The envelope is nice too.

I found some interesting ways to "tune" my kick with that slider and those modes. What stands the "switch" next to it for? From round to hexagonal or something like that? One sounds more "electronic" while the other one more "natural".

Anyway, awseome kick generator. The T-Bridge thingy rocks. Something similar in bong? And sorry if that has been already answered. Too much great info in this thread.

Regards
Sebastian

i think there are some notes on that vst in the zip??

programming bouncing balls c. 1982 ("upgraded my 4k ram to 16k!" and we used to roll our trousercuffs up, remember?) i started using another variable in addition to the y position to record the velocity.. t-osc was the first time i revisited it, before finding out that i was more or less writing newton's third law, force = mass * acceleration. t-osc has some "neat features" due to my nescience, eg. the quantisation in the decay that produces warbling sounds.

since then, i've switched between predominantly using three different methods of doing the same thing (one is optimised, one has better stability when modulated) what i'm saying is t-osc is an extremely poor (eg. barely functional) implementation of a mass-spring oscillator. only by virtue of its crappiness is it not devoid of charm. here's another nescient bit of code that has a few fun moments, if you like that sort of thing. don't turn it too loud.
http://www.xoxos.net/vst/deva.zip

finished another snare model last night. decided to include the 909esque with the usual 909 noise envelope (long sustain, medium release) and as a second mode with the more conventional exponential decay.. better contour if you want a longer tonal decay with a short "snappy" on it, for certain kindsa sounds..

here's an example of the non-909 fancy snare with my secret sauce for midrange harmonics.. it's versatile, doesn't always sound like this, thought this patch sounded nice enough to use as a tease. forgot to record it in stereo :roll: only changing the snappy cutoff.

if it doesn't sound like something you've already heard (this preview will be in the past) you may not care about it so much. imo the algo is versatile enough to do "electronic" and "realistic" snares (both country and western, a veritable osmond).
http://www.xoxos.net/temp/snarehype.wav

download them, check them out in a spectrum analyser. cut them up and sell them to the unwitting in your synthetic drums sample pack.

the noise source is reset in that example.. as i keep stating, noise sources are continuously variable from reset to full variation, which is real nice...

when i compose with percussion i generally use full reset - i like everything procedural, controlled and predictable in my recordings so my ear knows what it's hearing.. good for development, not so good for my music career hehe.

especially on these two particular snare engines that have a mess of midrange harmonics, the various cancellations and reinforcements of a non-reset noise source are, at least in the context of auditioning these instruments solo, great for colouring the impression of those midrange harmonics by depicting them slightly differently each time.. listening to 1 minute with varying noise leaves one with 100 moments of particular harmonics being picked out.

there, a possibly useful, hopelessly subjective observation entirely lost in the greater realm of compositional application..

one more note. is BONG a total ripoff? (gimme yer money and find out, or "suck it and see" in the u.s. military).

A: how many "classic" drumsynths feature a brushed snare mode? :shrug: :hihi: 8)

Thx for deva,

will check it out tomorrow when my girlfriend is not at home.:)

Yeah, I have read those notes but found not that much info about how things interact. I found many relly useful settings. I have some with d1>d2 and others where d2>d1. Some with high and some with low settings. Slowly I get a feeling for the whole thingy and how to tune it.

I have found some cool inits where I can pitch the first sine and after that bring some serious "ooomph" into it.

The whole thing is uber dope. Thank you.

Regards
Sebastian

looks like it needs a serious noise gate following it tho ;)

hits from the bong..

http://www.xoxos.net/temp/xsnarefancy.wav
same mode as the 'hype' sample above

http://www.xoxos.net/temp/xsnare_alg2.wav
this doesn't sound too snarey because of the bass.. i liked the way this sample brought out the tone of the model. it has a "keen rubbery" timbre that is more useful with much shorter osc decay times than heard here (good with a long "hold" and almost instant release).

http://www.xoxos.net/temp/brushed.wav
only put a few minutes into the brushed mode last night, thought it sounded promising enough to post.

xoxos wrote:...the noise source is reset in that example.. as i keep stating, noise sources are continuously variable from reset to full variation, which is real nice...
I have seen that T OSC also has a switch between reset and static. I agree that with reset it sounds way better. So I guess the same applies to your new device.

Btw those samples you posted sounds real nice.

Regards
Sebstian

Return to “xoxos”