Straightliner - public beta release

Official support for: rs-met.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello KVR community,

i want to announce an upcoming synthesizer plugin which is scheduled to be my first commercial release. here is a public beta version:

www.rs-met.com/software/products/Straightliner_v0.6.zip

and here is a screenshot:

it is a subtractive synthesizer which loads single cycle waveform files and has multistage breakpoint envelopes for the filter and the amplitude. i'd appreciate comments, bug reports, etc. ...and in case, you end up with some cool sounds while playing with it, i'd be happy listen to them and maybe include them into the preset library (with credits to author). ...shall you have a lot of fun with this synth!
Last edited by Music Engineer on Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My website: rs-met.com, My presences on: YouTube, GitHub, Facebook

I'll give it a shot later in the weekend. Currently proof reading my technical proposal and studying for exams. Looks like it loads flac files from the screen shot, brilliant.

Dozius wrote:I'll give it a shot later in the weekend. Currently proof reading my technical proposal and studying for exams.
good luck, then!
Looks like it loads flac files from the screen shot, brilliant.
yes. the waveform can be either in .wav or in .flac format. ...the flac support is probably not as vital for those tiny single cycle files, but in the back of my head there's already another sample based synth brewing, which will need larger sample files. so i decided to support flac in general in my software.

Just downloaded it Robin.

Will take a look at shortly - I have some samples of my own I will try in it.
Mr B.

CUNKA wrote:I have some samples of my own I will try in it.
yes, cool. one note on this: the sample path is currently stored in the presets as relative path with respect to the plugin .dll file. so if you create presets using your own waveforms, i'd recommend to put copies of the audio files into some subdirectory of the samples folder which comes with the plugin

First impressions, mind

AnalogBass#2 is awesome!

The note stealing is a bit weird tho', you stealing the lowest note?

Also, I won't use THAT word.... but it's a bit fizzy in the high end (compare to Valo non-fizz, in the other thread)

Looking forward to this puppy progressing :tu:

(edit: added a quick demo track: http://hyperfileshare.com/d/5ed4a07c ... Valo = lead, Straightliner = bass, FL = the rest... Enjoy)
Off Topic, with a grain of salt

qqq wrote:First impressions, mind

AnalogBass#2 is awesome!
thanx. and first impressions are rather important, right? i think, i have chosen this preset as default-preset for this reason.
The note stealing is a bit weird tho', you stealing the lowest note?
actually, i steal the oldest note. but i'm open for suggestions for other note-stealing schemes as well.
Also, I won't use THAT word.... but it's a bit fizzy in the high end (compare to Valo non-fizz, in the other
fizzy? could you specify this a bit more? do you mean there is....aliasing present in the highs? if so, it can't come from the osc section (this is (supposed to be) aliasing free), but the distortion in the filter could introduce some though. does the 'fizz' fade away, when you turn the filters 'Drive' parameter lower?
(edit: added a quick demo track: http://hyperfileshare.com/d/5ed4a07c ... Valo = lead, Straightliner = bass, FL = the rest... Enjoy)
enjoyed. sounds good. are there any effects on the bass or is this the pure synth? couldn't manage to check out Valo yet, but this one seems to be good one, too.

Robin from www.rs-met.com wrote: fizzy? could you specify this a bit more? do you mean there is....aliasing present in the highs? if so, it can't come from the osc section (this is (supposed to be) aliasing free), but the distortion in the filter could introduce some though. does the 'fizz' fade away, when you turn the filters 'Drive' parameter lower?
Ok, I couldn't resist checking the thing 'cos qqq posted about it.. and your oscillators actually generate much more accurately band-limited waves (at least for basic types, didn't check so extensively as the GUI is slightly too high for my 1280x800 laptop screen without detaching it from FLStudio and then it stays on top of everything else). But yeah, the filter drive will add aliasing, and depending on the amount of drive, cutoff/resonance, and source material, this can range from anything between undetectable to... well put the filter into self-oscillation, drive to max, and tweak the cutoff in the high range of hearing.

Anyway, Valo might not be a good comparison, because it's an artistic compromise.

Hallo Robin,
when the Plugin Window is open I can surf through the presets without problems.
When you close and reopen the plugin window it forget the current preset.
You hear it but when you click the + it starts at the first preset.

Anyway, Valo might not be a good comparison, because it's an artistic compromise.
well, instrument design most often involves compromises/trade-offs and Straightliner is probably no exception in this respect. i could - for example - go for higher oversampling in the filter department (currently at 2x) to avoid aliasing even more here. for my osc section - on the other hand - i think i have pushed the quality already to a point where no further increase would be reasonable, so no compromises in this department.

for the fun of it, i made a small demo clip:

http://www.rs-met.com/democlips/Straigh ... Excess.mp3

Straightliner: Offbeat-Bass (Preset: UahUahUahUah (tweaked)), Trance-gate sound (Preset: TrancyPattern003) - no FX on both sounds
Aggressor: 303 (with Stereo-Delay)
Valo: sawtooth-sound with the built in reverb
Last edited by Music Engineer on Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

echopark wrote:Hallo Robin,
when the Plugin Window is open I can surf through the presets without problems.
When you close and reopen the plugin window it forget the current preset.
You hear it but when you click the + it starts at the first preset.
ahh yes - not exactly a bug but the normal behaviour. the synth itself is agnostic of whether the current state is a preset or not, only the GUI knows this (and if it is closed and re-opened , it will not remember its former live). if that seems like an unexpected behaviour, i might need to change that.

O.K. i have just uploaded a new version:

www.rs-met.com/software/products/Straightliner_v0.6.zip

changes in this version are:
-bugfix in the envelope generator
-envelope generator now supports mutliple breakpoints per time instant
-filter cutoff and resonance now adjustable via a draggable point in the frequency response plot
-filter keytrack works now together with glide
-weird behaviour on preset switching when holding notes fixed

This is pretty cool, I have a killer sound going with pattern004, I turned the filter's drive up, and brought the freq up.

It's a cool trancey sound, as opposed to the cheesy sound like that new Genesis synth, which was great, but I'd be embarrassed to use it.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

RunBeerRun wrote:This is pretty cool, I have a killer sound going with pattern004, I turned the filter's drive up, and brought the freq up.

It's a cool trancey sound...
thanks - well, i am a kind of a trance guy (not only but also). however, i just replaced the archive because i found some issues with sample paths in some presets. it should work now better.

small first patch set
download

worx fine in Live7 btw.

p.s. can we have some more filter ;)

Return to “rs-met”